Interested in what's available down under

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Suparu,

You can get the L series AWD box with lockable centre diff - yes its the most desired way to go, but they're hard to find in oz. In the US they should be easier - just find an RXII coupe that hasn't had the gearbox swapped, easier said than done if the owner knows what they're sitting on.

You'll still need to source the L's good low range and the 4.11 or 4.44 ratio diff that you want. A cut and shut will be required on the pinion shaft as the L's one is longer than the EJ's one, the L's AWD one only comes in 3.7 or 3.9 - I believe the 3.7 is more common than the 3.9...

I'm in the process of building this box myself for Ruby Scoo. She'll be awesome once its done. Just need a few parts and some time!

And again, I'm still yet to see an EJ AWD with locking centre diff factory fitted...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:29 am

El_Freddo wrote:Suparu,

You can get the L series AWD box with lockable centre diff - yes its the most desired way to go, but they're hard to find in oz. In the US they should be easier - just find an RXII coupe that hasn't had the gearbox swapped, easier said than done if the owner knows what they're sitting on.

You'll still need to source the L's good low range and the 4.11 or 4.44 ratio diff that you want. A cut and shut will be required on the pinion shaft as the L's one is longer than the EJ's one, the L's AWD one only comes in 3.7 or 3.9 - I believe the 3.7 is more common than the 3.9...

I'm in the process of building this box myself for Ruby Scoo. She'll be awesome once its done. Just need a few parts and some time!

And again, I'm still yet to see an EJ AWD with locking centre diff factory fitted...

Cheers

Bennie
I'm still 99% sure there isnt locking centre diff from factory for EJ series, havent seen in the books or manuals.. The only information Ive seen is L series era.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

suparu

Post by suparu » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:53 am

hmmm :confused:

So, as I kind of suspected when starting this inquiry, to get what i want will require 2-3 transmissions (at least one from Down Under) fairly significant know-how, some money outlay and TIME...

It sounds like the easiest way to get a good final drive and a low range in a FT AWD 5 speed is an australian forester box, end of story. If i were so inspired, I could then open it up and swap its 1.44:1 for an EA82 (L series) 1.59:1. but that'd take another tranny and a lot more info at hand (thanks alpineraven, you've got that dialed, AND posted!!) ...

Locking center diff, full time AWD, dual range, blah blah blah... the stuff dreams are made of (unless you're phizenza and can make it happen ;)), is certainly WAY beyond my means and knowledge, ooh and parts availability... Not a decent junk yard for 4.5 hours from Moab! :???:

I think i'll try to stick with that plan:
get a good used Aussie fozzie box, D/R FT AWD 1.44:1 low, and bolt it right up to my USA EJ22.

plug-and-play as they say

and if this is TOO problematic/costly, i may just do an outback auto tranny swap, but that'll be another box or questions, to be sure....

:confused:so, again, to start trying to get a good used forester transmission:confused::cool: from someone down there...

Ooh this modifying is such a road to travel :twisted:

seagull

Post by seagull » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:12 pm

suparu wrote:hmmm :confused:

So, as I kind of suspected when starting this inquiry, to get what i want will require 2-3 transmissions (at least one from Down Under) fairly significant know-how, some money outlay and TIME...

It sounds like the easiest way to get a good final drive and a low range in a FT AWD 5 speed is an australian forester box, end of story. If i were so inspired, I could then open it up and swap its 1.44:1 for an EA82 (L series) 1.59:1. but that'd take another tranny and a lot more info at hand (thanks alpineraven, you've got that dialed, AND posted!!) ...

Locking center diff, full time AWD, dual range, blah blah blah... the stuff dreams are made of (unless you're phizenza and can make it happen ;)), is certainly WAY beyond my means and knowledge, ooh and parts availability... Not a decent junk yard for 4.5 hours from Moab! :???:

I think i'll try to stick with that plan:
get a good used Aussie fozzie box, D/R FT AWD 1.44:1 low, and bolt it right up to my USA EJ22.

plug-and-play as they say

and if this is TOO problematic/costly, i may just do an outback auto tranny swap, but that'll be another box or questions, to be sure....

:confused:so, again, to start trying to get a good used forester transmission:confused::cool: from someone down there...

Ooh this modifying is such a road to travel :twisted:

can admin conferm the origin of this user ?

suparu

Post by suparu » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Hey Seagull,

Sorry to raise suspicions but you are wise (especially this day and age and on the internet) to be cautious. I realize I'm new to this thread (as well as offroadsubarus.com) but I have been around other subaru forums for a while (namely USMB for going on 6 years).

I'm in the USA and here we do not have dual range AWD transmissions like you good folks down under. I've been researching this option (ask phizinza) for a couple years now, and think i have a good idea on the best and hopefully least costly way of getting an ej series bolt-on tranny that is dual range full time AWD.

Thanks,
-mark-

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:15 pm

suparu wrote:Hey Seagull,

Sorry to raise suspicions but you are wise (especially this day and age and on the internet) to be cautious. I realize I'm new to this thread (as well as offroadsubarus.com) but I have been around other subaru forums for a while (namely USMB for going on 6 years).

I'm in the USA and here we do not have dual range AWD transmissions like you good folks down under. I've been researching this option (ask phizinza) for a couple years now, and think i have a good idea on the best and hopefully least costly way of getting an ej series bolt-on tranny that is dual range full time AWD.

Thanks,
-mark-
What way would that be?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

suparu

Post by suparu » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:47 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:What way would that be?
Cheers
AP
;)

Yeah exactly!

In my dreaming and hoping world (which I'm trying to figure out how to make into my real world) I think the least costly way might be a fozzie box (tranny #1, and of story), rather than a liberty box (alternate tranny #1) which would be cheaper from the yard, but same in shipping then cracking it open to make it 4.11 (from parts out of tranny #2, probably USA OB 5MT) and give it a better low gear from a USA EA82 dual range (from parts out of tranny #3).
Not to mention the time and frustration savings :-D
The first time I read the dictionary, I thought it was a book about everything.
-S. Wright-

If at first you don't succeed, rev harder!

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:00 pm

suparu wrote:;)

Yeah exactly!

In my dreaming and hoping world (which I'm trying to figure out how to make into my real world) I think the least costly way might be a fozzie box (tranny #1, and of story), rather than a liberty box (alternate tranny #1) which would be cheaper from the yard, but same in shipping then cracking it open to make it 4.11 (from parts out of tranny #2, probably USA OB 5MT) and give it a better low gear from a USA EA82 dual range (from parts out of tranny #3).
Not to mention the time and frustration savings :-D
Fair enough mate...
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

suparu

Post by suparu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:56 am

How does one post to the classifieds in this Forum?

thanks,
-mark-
-S. Wright-

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:28 pm

the bar across the top of the forum (User CP, FAQ, Members List, Calendar etc) has a "Classifieds" button.

click it and follow the instructions.
You have to be a paid member.

suparu

Post by suparu » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:54 am

AndrewT wrote:the bar across the top of the forum (User CP, FAQ, Members List, Calendar etc) has a "Classifieds" button.

click it and follow the instructions.
>>You have to be a paid member<<.
That must be the key...
I thought I donated here, I guess I must not have :(

Thanks friend.
-mw-
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:43 am

Throwing feelers out for a good used dual range, 5MT from an Australian forester.
looking for 4.11 final drive axle ratio and a 1.44:1 low gear.

(i still need to make my donation, then I'll post up in the classifieds ;)

thanks,
-mark-
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:27 am

I have a RUNNING gen 1 EA71 1980 BRAT with an extra motor and some parts (like a windsield and gen 1 subaru factory winch-mount tube bumper) to TRADE for a good used gen 1 forester dual range AWD Aussie gear box. . . :rolleyes:
:)
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:57 am

Looks like 04FXT had 4.44 final drive but no low range (as some had indicated) and 03-04 NA foresters have 4.11 FD with a 1.196:1 low gear... In light of this info, it seems a fozzy box is better, then mod it to have the EA low gear...
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...03-04-a-34149/

Now totrack down this illustrious 4.44 FD 1.44:1 low I've heard about...
-S. Wright-

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:39 pm

suparu wrote:Locking center diff, full time AWD, dual range, blah blah blah... the stuff dreams are made of (unless you're phizenza and can make it happen ;))
True that - but since finding out about the L locking centre AWD gearbox I've wanted one. Now I've got one in the shed, plus a donor EJ box (finally) and a standard L box (broken 4wd engaging mechanism) for a build. SO cannot wait to get home to build that box!

All it takes is time Suparu. Relax, talk about it to work out exactly what you need for the desired gearbox. Then keep an eye open as you cruise around, you'll be surprised what you find and where you'll find it. I've always had a budget - as cheap as possible - it usually works out well. 50% off at the Pick a part wreckers helped out a lot! Right place at the right time - you can't plan that!

I say this as I've just read back through your thread realising you've got some blinding enthusiasm going on there. Have you looked around enough in the US to find a dual range EJ gearbox from an early Liberty at least? From my understanding the US got the early libertys with dual range. I could be completely wrong there though, it wouldn't be the first time!

All the best with it, just take your time ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Point

Post by Point » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:36 pm

I pulled apart a gearbox today out of a '99 SF Forrie to confirm ratios. 8 bolt bellhousing, 4.11 final and 1.447 low range reduction. I assume that the '97/'98 (4 bolt bellhousing) is the same. Unfortunately this one has been full of salt water and isn't much good anymore....
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

suparu

Post by suparu » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:49 am

El_Freddo wrote:All it takes is time Suparu. Relax, talk about it to work out exactly what you need for the desired gearbox. Then keep an eye open as you cruise around, you'll be surprised what you find and where you'll find it. I've always had a budget - as cheap as possible - it usually works out well. 50% off at the Pick a part wreckers helped out a lot! Right place at the right time - you can't plan that!

I say this as I've just read back through your thread realising you've got some blinding enthusiasm going on there. Have you looked around enough in the US to find a dual range EJ gearbox from an early Liberty at least? From my understanding the US got the early libertys with dual range. I could be completely wrong there though, it wouldn't be the first time!

All the best with it, just take your time ;)
Cheers
Bennie
Hey Bennie, Thanks for the props and beta.. i'm psyched for you project. I've chatted with Phizinza a bit and he was my first and strongest lead for info and potential for parts. He's good people!

Yea, I know patience... But its not a strength when I get fired up on something :rolleyes:

But you are right... I do have a contact here that's willing to work with me on sourcing one, now to just narrow down exactly what that is...
I'm getting there, and with a recent email from Michale at Scorpion, I think I'm about there...
He verified (as did Point just now) that the first AUS Gen Fozzies (97-2002) came with 4.11 FD and 1.44:1 low. Other sources (and Miachel) show 003-04 (and newer) with 4.11 FD and 1.196:1 low.. i know the EA mod to get the 1.59:1 low, but with a first gen 1.44:1 is not bad, not bad at all..

And the US did not get dual range AWD boxes. This is actually the first I'd hear of an possibility we did :(
I saw one AUS liberty float around the U.S on USMB (Zap originally got it from someone here), but that's 3.90 Final and 1.196:1 low... too much work to make it what I'd prefer it to be...

I am getting there though, narrowing my thoughts vs. what exists, and I appreciate all you folks' help with my research and formulating this project.
And you are certainly right about the patience part ;)
Point wrote:I pulled apart a gearbox today out of a '99 SF Forrie to confirm ratios. 8 bolt bellhousing, 4.11 final and 1.447 low range reduction. I assume that the '97/'98 (4 bolt bellhousing) is the same. Unfortunately this one has been full of salt water and isn't much good anymore....
Roger that Point,
Michael at scorpion just verified my gearing suspissions on AUS fozzy gearboxes...
He replied as such, "Hi Mark. Your research is correct. The first model Forester (S10 97-02) with the 2.0 non Turbo engine (EJ20J and EJ202) had the 4.11 FD and 1.447:1 Low Range reduction. You can fit a 4.444:1 Crown wheel and Pinion to this but the outside edge of the Crown wheel teeth need to linished down to clear the Low range gear. You can also fit our Lower ratio set to this as well. The same applies to the later Transmission from the S11 which has the 2.5 Engine (no Turbo models have Dual Range), the only draw back is the std Low range is only 1.196:1.

All Boxes have a sticker on the left side of the Bell-housing with a code beginning with TY. An example of the early DR box with the lower ratio Low Range and 4.11 FD is TY 755XS2AA

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
"

So I think I'm narrowed to a gen one (and with your input on the 4-bolt housing, as is in my legacy) I should stick to a 97-98. BUT the 8-bolt (as I understand) fite fine, just a few extra holes not doing anything...

Thanks again dood!

Good times here lots of good info and help!

-mark-
-S. Wright-

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Correct about the 8 bolt gearbox units - you only need 4 of those bolts to use them. I'd look at sealing the unused hole to stop crap potentially getting into the bell-housing.

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Point wrote:I pulled apart a gearbox today out of a '99 SF Forrie to confirm ratios. 8 bolt bellhousing, 4.11 final and 1.447 low range reduction. I assume that the '97/'98 (4 bolt bellhousing) is the same. Unfortunately this one has been full of salt water and isn't much good anymore....
You still can mount 8 bolt gearboxes on early engines.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

suparu

Post by suparu » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:00 am

So I have someone Down Under helping me with a gen 1 Forester gear box, but now I'll have a couple more questions before I really get into this project.

my '95 legacy 5MT with 3.90 FD is a cable-actuated push clutch.

Is a gen 1 AUDM forester a push clutch or pull clutch and is it a cable or hydraulically actuated clutch?

thanks,
-mark-

PS, thanks for helping me on this project Spike!
-S. Wright-

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”