Ellie the Brumby (1991)

Show off your car to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have got now or planned.
moonbuggy

Ellie the Brumby (1991)

Post by moonbuggy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:04 pm

Not the targa I've been on the hunt for, but I couldn't resist:

For SA, she was a good price for a brumby with minimal rust, and red was my first brumby love so...

I am now the third owner. The first owner had her until 2016; she kept on top of the maintenance and only drove around town. The second owner lives out past Gawler and only drove her occasionally, and not at all for the last 6 months, so she's in need of some TLC but he did replace the radiator and shocks. She's got 234,621 ks on the clock.

The paint on the tailgate is not so hot but she makes up for it by being relatively straight. Let's see how long it takes me to add a few new dings.

The rubber looks awfully original so I'm expecting a horror story once the windscreen comes out. Fingers crossed it won't require a date with a welder.

The rust (I currently know about) is relatively small but is kicking off in quite a few places so I'll be progressively tackling that... and undoubtedly never stop.

There's quite the oozy doozy of a mess to be cleaned up before I can figure out the source/s of the oil leaks. Fortunately I like getting my hands dirty. 

She'll live in my brother's garage until I can get the oil leaks sorted, the brake pads replaced, the windscreen out and whatever rusty terror lurks there slain, get the AC blowing cold air again, and treat her to fresh oils/filters/belts/spark plugs etc. In the meantime I have 'Pickle', my '02 Outback to keep me puttering about.

And then of course the 'wish list' begins: power steering, new wheels, new seats, that long sporty dash, more powerful headlights, maybe a roll bar... 

For the gamers among us, her name comes from the tiny but mighty Ellie of The Last of Us.

So yeah, she's not a targa but she's still pretty sweet. I think we're gonna have a blast.

Cheers
Sarah
A blinking light of indeterminate purpose

El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER

Re: Ellie the Brumby (1991)

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:23 am

Hey Sarah,

Welcome to the forum! Now that you have your brumby, you know what the real issue is?

You will always end up with two!

Enjoy the journey with the rust hunt and the other little bits.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

moonbuggy

Re: Ellie the Brumby (1991)

Post by moonbuggy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:05 pm

You will always end up with two!
Ha! I still need that sky blue targa, so that's two. And I'd love an L Series wagon, a parts car... Fortunately I don't have the room/money or this could get out of hand very quickly!

The rust hunt was unfortunately fruitful...

I knew there was something going on under the tray trim, but hoped it wouldn't be quite this bad. From what I can tell there isn't any rust on the bottom of the sides of the tray, so that's something. I'll have it dealt with it once the windscreen is out and I know what's lurking under there.

Once you start pulling things off it's hard to stop.

I'll give the back of the cab a good clean, replace the foam pads and put up some sound deadener when I get the chance.

I tried to lift the vinyl floor covering to get a look under there too, but it's stuck down good an proper so I've left that for now as I understand if the tar coating is in good nick it's best to leave it alone, and I can't see anything under the car to suggest any rust in the floor pans.

(random but related, I was shocked at how light the brumby seats are)

The plastic guard under the passenger wheel arch was chocked with dirt and dead vegetation, so that was the next thing to come off.

Despite there being A LOT of dirt packed in there (and a bit of moss) it looks like it hasn't started to rust. After the tray trim this was a relief. Haven't gotten to the driver's side yet, hopefully it's the same.

And then the serious business of cleaning all that gunge under the car began. I still have a way to go but it's so much better than it was.

So far I can see the rocker covers are definitely leaking. And I suspect there's a leak somewhere near the back of the engine, which Bennie suggests is the rear main seal. With that, and the clutch needing some serious attention, it looks like the engine will be coming out as soon as I can get my hands on the right equipment.

Time for a deep dive into the forum's threads on clutches and engines!

Cheers
Sarah
A blinking light of indeterminate purpose