EA81 Twin Carb Manifold Air Cleaner Question

Everything Engine, Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts for the EJ series models - NA & Boosted
Suby Spanner

EA81 Twin Carb Manifold Air Cleaner Question

Post by Suby Spanner » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Hi all,
come across a manifold with the twin carb set up, but there's no air filters. I can not find any pictures of such a set up. Reading around I think people hide them under a normal air cleaner arrangement.

Can some one please post or link me to some pics of how it looks installed?

Many thanks.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: EA81 Twin Carb Manifold Air Cleaner Question

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Hey Suby Spanner,

The twin carbs have a specific air cleaner housing that only has two bolts, one above each carby as opposed to the standard single carb three bolt.

If you’re talking about the dual carbs on gumtree, just be aware that they may be for an EA71 and these do not bolt onto the EA81 (or something like that from what I understand).

Do your research, my knowledge tells me these are not what you’re after. Sorry for the disappointment.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 am

Bennie,

thanks: I spent too many hours reading about ea81's the other night... I finally found out about the EA81S, I've never seen one in person. I reckon that's the air cleaner box you're talking about.

Seems to be lots of confusion about EA81 in general which didn't help.

For example, I have a customer with a ea81 leoni, with solid lifters, but most people say the solid's only come out in brumby...

In all honesty, updating to a EJ just makes way more sense. Don't really want to get that involved. This is supposed to be a simple daily after all.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:48 pm

A sweet running EA81 makes for a good daily. I love cruising into work, taking my time usually.

AFAIK Australia only got solid lifters in all EA81 engines. The US seemed to get the hydraulic lifters in some EA81 units. I could be wrong as this is nothing more than an observation! US also got the turbo EA81 from the factory. The ones in Australia are JDM imports.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “EJ Drivetrain”