Red Targa Brumby

Moderator: El_Freddo

Suby Spanner

Re: Red Targa Brumby

Post by Suby Spanner » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 pm

I got a mate to paint my 13inch white rims... Money back deal ie. he didn't charge me.

We just pressure washed them.
Hit them with some 'wheel cleaner', the spray can's from the reject shop, works waaaaayyy better than it has any right to. Gave them a wipe with a rag, and a rub with a brush.
Then hit them with a acid based degrease, same deal, quick wipe and rub with a brush.
Pressure cleaned again.

Then he blasted them with white: I reckon it was an enamel, not sure. He just went to the local paint shop and said he wanted paint for his brothers boat trailer wheels, and this was the left over.

And ya know what: It looks way better than it should. Is it as tough as power coat, no. Did it cost as much as powder coat? No... can you keep wheels perfect on a street car? Especially a brumby... Hell no. lol.

El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:21 am

@Suby Spanner - that’s awesome. I reckon I’ll have to give something like that a go.

I’m not sure about the acid wash but since I’ve got the new tyres on the rims. I desperately needed new tyres so the painting took a back seat :???:

Thanks for sharing how you guys did it. I wouldn’t have thought about tyre shine/cleaner! And it sounds like you managed to do it in a weekend time frame.

Cheers

Bennie

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 pm

I didn't use a tyre shine, it was a wheel cleaner like this https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q ... 3701695842
As for the acid wash, it's sold as a cleaner, but the active ingredient is just acid.

Yes, I pressure cleaned and scrubbed them one day, then the next day blew them off and my mate painted them. It was at my shop, and trust me, I didn't stop work for too long to do it :)

But like I said, the result is pretty damn good.

El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 18, 2019 11:40 am

Glamour shots:

I wish my paint was actually this good!

Still got the pinging issue once the engine is up near the trigger point for the thermo fans. I'm now wondering if it's got something to do with my valve clearances that could be too tight - but I've always thought they become loose overtime.

I've got a few things to look into at the moment. Front driveshafts don't seem to be happy at all. On my last trip to Melbourne I didn't think I was going to make it home. I was almost at my destination when I suddenly experienced a vibration that felt like it would shake the vehicle to pieces if I needed highway speeds. This would occur after a standing start too, there was steering wheel wobble and noise associated with it. Luckily I managed to limp her home (loaded and towing at this point - I don't do things by half!).

This weekend I'm hoping to get Redback Brumby into the shed for some work and a windscreen replacement. The glass dudes will remove the windscreen then come back later to fit the new one after I tidy up any rust etc under there.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Windscreen came out in a bout 5 minutes this afternoon.

Left bottom corner looks mint. Very little rust in the seam in that corner. The rest is factory mint! The right hand side has some rust bubble action, but I don’t think enough for a hole in there.

The upper section of the windscreen area has the typical worn paint mark where the edge of the hardened windscreen rubber has worn it away. Some sections look like they’re down to bare metal. Work will be done to seal this up before the new windscreen and rubber is fitted.

There’s a bit of work ahead of me, but I’m looking forward to it! While the brumby is in the shed I’ll be cleaning up some other small areas of rust ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube