Spam/other alerts

User avatar
pitrack_1
Turbo Talker
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:16 am
Location: ACT

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by pitrack_1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:45 pm

A 'spider' in this case is literally a web crawler from a search engine designed to catalogue/index everything. Baidu is the biggest Chinese search engine.

This should be able to be blocked in the robots.txt file (from my memory). It's possible the baidu one has not been listed.

You'll need to talk to the admin.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

User avatar
wagonist
Turbo Talker
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by wagonist » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 pm

Just got a Spam PM from a member Sharonsteta about trying a new "captcha"

User avatar
AndrewT
Big Boost Talkalot
Posts: 4777
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 am
Location: WA
Contact:

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by AndrewT » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:23 pm

wagonist wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 pm
Just got a Spam PM from a member Sharonsteta about trying a new "captcha"
thanks, have shit-canned them.

User avatar
El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11923
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Benders (aka Bendigo) Vic

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 pm

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9385

This spammer - sports crap. And we thought Dibs couldn’t use grammar!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
Image
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

User avatar
El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11923
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Benders (aka Bendigo) Vic

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 am

Some 800+ spam posts overnight with what seems to be all different usernames.

How did this happen?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
Image
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

User avatar
Subyroo
Turbo Talker
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by Subyroo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:27 pm

Spammers are killing this site, maybe why nobody posts anything, well except for the spammers! :evil: :evil:

User avatar
El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11923
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Benders (aka Bendigo) Vic

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 pm

This spammer - got over 400 posts in Russian...

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9405

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
Image
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

User avatar
El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11923
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Benders (aka Bendigo) Vic

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:02 pm

Subyroo wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:27 pm
Spammers are killing this site, maybe why nobody posts anything, well except for the spammers! :evil: :evil:
Yep, I agree. On the computer so much more spam to see - an new spammers too - like this one: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9424

Who cleans these up and how often does it happen?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
Image
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

User avatar
Gannon
Big Boost Talkalot
Posts: 4579
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Bowraville, Mid Nth Coast, NSW

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by Gannon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:27 am

How come there is no verification for new users?
Its been years since I signed up but wasnt there was a questionaire that only subaru owners would be able to answer?

I understand its a big job for Andrew to verify or reject new users.
Would it be possible to allow other members (maybe ones who have held an account for maybe in excess of 12 months) to assist in allowing or rejecting new memberships.

User avatar
TOONGA
AUSUBARU ELDER
Posts: 5276
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Australind closer to where they divided by zero
Contact:

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by TOONGA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am

Gannon wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:27 am
How come there is no verification for new users?
Its been years since I signed up but wasnt there was a questionaire that only subaru owners would be able to answer?

I understand its a big job for Andrew to verify or reject new users.
Would it be possible to allow other members (maybe ones who have held an account for maybe in excess of 12 months) to assist in allowing or rejecting new memberships.
It is in the works, Andrew is currently on holiday. Hopefully soon everything will be sorted.

TOONGA

User avatar
El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11923
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Benders (aka Bendigo) Vic

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:35 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 pm
This spammer - got over 400 posts in Russian...

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9405
Well “Johnnie Fab” is busy - three and a half thousand posts already with an average of over 500 posts a day.

Too much spam?? :P

AndyT being away makes some sense as to why the forum has so much spam at the moment. I hope he gets a verification process up and running soon for new members that is highly effective in blocking bots and spammers from joining and posting.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
Image
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

User avatar
TOONGA
AUSUBARU ELDER
Posts: 5276
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Australind closer to where they divided by zero
Contact:

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by TOONGA » Sun May 12, 2019 3:25 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:35 pm
El_Freddo wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 pm
This spammer - got over 400 posts in Russian...

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9405
Well “Johnnie Fab” is busy - three and a half thousand posts already with an average of over 500 posts a day.

Too much spam?? :P

AndyT being away makes some sense as to why the forum has so much spam at the moment. I hope he gets a verification process up and running soon for new members that is highly effective in blocking bots and spammers from joining and posting.

Cheers

Bennie
Bennie
It has been sorted and you might notice you have a new set of tools to play with.

Told you it would be taken care of ;)

TOONGA

User avatar
El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11923
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Benders (aka Bendigo) Vic

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:44 am

Just noticed a bot logged in - “Majestic-12”

Good, not good? How do we tell??

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
Image
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

User avatar
TOONGA
AUSUBARU ELDER
Posts: 5276
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Australind closer to where they divided by zero
Contact:

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by TOONGA » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 am

El_Freddo wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:44 am
Just noticed a bot logged in - “Majestic-12”

Good, not good? How do we tell??

Cheers

Bennie
We have 45 bots in total. they are normally to do with search engines, and crawling and indexing links. all 45 were in place the day the new board went live. Their primary use is helping sites like google or bing find information on the board.

TOONGA
Image
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

User avatar
El_Freddo
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11923
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:00 am
Location: Benders (aka Bendigo) Vic

Re: Spam/other alerts

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:34 pm

It’s almost boring not having anyone posting about spam alerts let alone anything they’re up to with their subi’s...

Just saying.

(Bloody Facebook)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
Image
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Post Reply