I own a vortex :)

Show off your car to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have got now or planned.
User avatar
steptoe
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11576
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:00 am
Location: 14 miles outside Gotham City

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:53 pm

sheesh ! All that for one wiper arm !

User avatar
TOONGA
AUSUBARU ELDER
Posts: 5276
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Australind closer to where they divided by zero
Contact:

Post by TOONGA » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Bantum wrote:Probably suffering from 'dry joints' - I'd take it apart & resolder them ... ;)

And while you have it apart, check the relays for correct movement & corrosion.

Cheers, Bantum ...
Had it apart the relays are non serviceable items and when I did an ebay search on the relay I got zip. As for the "dry joints" that was my first thought, but after inspecting the whole "subaru made" "NEC ? perhaps" PCB all I found was the shrinkage on the faulty relay. That was when I found out the blue plastic box was made of the same crap plastic as the dash surround. :(
steptoe wrote:sheesh ! All that for one wiper arm !
Yeah one wiper arm that occasionally keeps going and all I can hear in the background is a ticking... :(


TOONGA
Image
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

User avatar
Bantum
Senior Member
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Territory + QLD
Contact:

Relay Internals ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:47 am

Have you got any internal shots of this apart ?

Image

You might be able to find a replacement relay that does the same job, just wont look the same.

Ciao, Bantum ...

User avatar
steptoe
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11576
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:00 am
Location: 14 miles outside Gotham City

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 am

that would be the bean counters ensuring the plastics did not go to waste. Colour matched component boxes . Best stuff for dicky wipers for me has been Rain-X - frequent applications.

Could you run or subydoug run wires from PCB to external to hook up to any relay you desire to make it all work again ?

User avatar
TOONGA
AUSUBARU ELDER
Posts: 5276
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Australind closer to where they divided by zero
Contact:

Post by TOONGA » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:13 pm

Bantum wrote:Have you got any internal shots of this apart ?

Image

You might be able to find a replacement relay that does the same job, just wont look the same.

Ciao, Bantum ...
Yeah I looked on ebay and couldn't find what I was looking for I may have to pay Jaycar a visit on the weekend.
steptoe wrote:that would be the bean counters ensuring the plastics did not go to waste. Colour matched component boxes . Best stuff for dicky wipers for me has been Rain-X - frequent applications.

Could you run or subydoug run wires from PCB to external to hook up to any relay you desire to make it all work again ?
I could probably do it rather quickly but I don't want to have a no wiper vortex if the "fix" doesn't "fix"

Thats why I want another unit.

There is this on in the USA but postage is a bummer
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151077451346 ... EBIDX%3AIT

and it is for an SVX

Jono who do you know on your side of the island with a "parts" vortex

TOONGA
Image
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

User avatar
steptoe
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11576
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:00 am
Location: 14 miles outside Gotham City

Post by steptoe » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:29 am

currently don't know anyone with one for parts and the ones I do know treasure their future projects complete units are all early left wipe ones which it looks like are different to yours. Can you dictate the part number of yours, see if I can find just how many there are in the cattle dog. Hope for your sake not like EA82 ECU's - like 20 different ones around the world !

Lucky you - only three

86571GA100 for 86 87 model years made up to the Z month of 86
.............50 for 87MY made from Jan 87
...........300 for 88 and 89 Model years

User avatar
TOONGA
AUSUBARU ELDER
Posts: 5276
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Australind closer to where they divided by zero
Contact:

Post by TOONGA » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:43 am

steptoe wrote:currently don't know anyone with one for parts and the ones I do know treasure their future projects complete units are all early left wipe ones which it looks like are different to yours. Can you dictate the part number of yours, see if I can find just how many there are in the cattle dog. Hope for your sake not like EA82 ECU's - like 20 different ones around the world !

Lucky you - only three

86571GA100 for 86 87 model years made up to the Z month of 86
.............50 for 87MY made from Jan 87
...........350 for 88 and 89 Model years
Yay only 3 that are currently unavailable anywhere in the world.

but how come mine ends in 300? :)

Thanks for the numbers Jono

TOONGA
Image
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

User avatar
nncoolg
Turbo Talker
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:05 am
Location: Almost Sth. QLD

Post by nncoolg » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:59 pm

Have you tried toggling the summer / winter switch?
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

User avatar
steptoe
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11576
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:00 am
Location: 14 miles outside Gotham City

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:03 pm

TOONGA wrote:Yay only 3 that are currently unavailable anywhere in the world.

but how come mine ends in 300? :)

Thanks for the numbers Jono

TOONGA
typo ?

300 comes to mind, 350 is just a Chev cubic number ... sorry :oops:

User avatar
TOONGA
AUSUBARU ELDER
Posts: 5276
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Australind closer to where they divided by zero
Contact:

Post by TOONGA » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:52 pm

steptoe wrote:typo ?

300 comes to mind, 350 is just a Chev cubic number ... sorry :oops:
not a problem nothing matching any of those numbers comes up in a google or ebay search :(
nncoolg wrote:Have you tried toggling the summer / winter switch?
Yes I did and while the wiper moves up and out of the bonnet area, if I use any option the relay goes nuts. the only way I can stop it is if I put the wiper on intermittent and wait until it returns home then turn the wiper off.

TOONGA
Image
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

User avatar
steptoe
AUSUBARU MASTER
Posts: 11576
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:00 am
Location: 14 miles outside Gotham City

Post by steptoe » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:09 am

aha - see if you have a bad earth connection somewhere, or are you sure the fried component is the problem ? The old Aus made cars used something called park position and was related to an earth return position on a 360 degree contact switch thingy on something that went round and round, except for a bit missing in the 360 track which is where it parked - if you get what I mean ...... wonder if Paul has same unit you could borrow to further diagnose ?

User avatar
TOONGA
AUSUBARU ELDER
Posts: 5276
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 am
Location: Australind closer to where they divided by zero
Contact:

Post by TOONGA » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Paul has a vortex somewhere, but it is a painful operation to perform. I think he may actually be either at work or fishing somewhere.

I may be tempted to try and wire in a new relay once summer hits that way if it doesn't work I have a while before I need wipers again :)


TOONGA
Image
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Post Reply