Voip calls READ BEFORE 30/04/2008

Devices used to chat with here ...
vidler
General Member

Voip calls READ BEFORE 30/04/2008

Post by vidler » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Gday, just saw this in the sunday times on the weekend. invented by some WA uni professor dudes, ive signed up to sign some $$$. Have a read and decide for yourself but it seems like a good offer to me

http://www.thebuzzcorp.com/how-does-it-work.php
09 Forester XT Touring Wagon

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:16 am

Sounds pretty good in theory. It's just like normal VOIP except it uses their internet connection instead of yours.

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:18 am

We have been using it for a while now, saves us heaps on long distance calls.

mIKE.
ImageImage

stephendean

Post by stephendean » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Sounds a great idea, only for us it won't save money. On the phone/internet plan we are on we don't pay for phone calls. This sort of thing has been around a while overseas I believe.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:27 am

Seems like an alright idea, but who doesn't have the intarweb nowdays?

We have two voip phone numbers in our house. One is australian, through iinet, the other is through a mob in Canada, so that when my missus calls her family we get charged a local call since the call goes via the internet to the telephone exchange in her home town. It's great!

Really, you don't need to pay anything for VoIP if both you and the person you're calling has the right software. You can even get USB "phones" that you can set up to control the voip software. Of course that limits you to whoever is on your contacts list, which is why we never went that route. Trying to get more than a few people using the same software is like trying to herd cats sometimes.

Hell, if you really chafe at internet/phone bills and you have LOS to whoever you want to call, you could set up a long range wifi network and do voip over that! Which limits you even more, but y'know... you get what you pay for :p
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:35 am

Skype is a very popular piece of software. Right this second there are 7,270,389 people online.
http://www.skype.com
It's just a program you put on your computer just like MSN. You can chat by typing or by plugging in a USB headset (headphones & mic). You can also use a webcam.
If you are chatting Skype to Skype (ie, both people have a computer, internet, headset and Skype installed) then it's completely free.
You can buy Skype Credits which means you can use your computer/internet connection to call an actual land line telephone in just about any country.
It goes through the internet to a Skype server in the other country which makes a local phone call.
I'm using it heaps for work now, it works really well and very simple for the lay-person to use.
Sorry, not an advert, just adding to the topic :)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:51 am

AndrewT wrote:Skype is a very popular piece of software. Right this second there are 7,270,389 people online.
http://www.skype.com
It's just a program you put on your computer just like MSN. You can chat by typing or by plugging in a USB headset (headphones & mic). You can also use a webcam.
If you are chatting Skype to Skype (ie, both people have a computer, internet, headset and Skype installed) then it's completely free.
You can buy Skype Credits which means you can use your computer/internet connection to call an actual land line telephone in just about any country.
It goes through the internet to a Skype server in the other country which makes a local phone call.
I'm using it heaps for work now, it works really well and very simple for the lay-person to use.
Sorry, not an advert, just adding to the topic :)
I use Skype and have a Mobile Phone that when in G3 range, I'm available 24/7 without a computer... I use it as normal mobile as well but like Andrew said, we use Skype credit and just for 1 example, I am talking to the UK all the time (with the manufactures of the Murtaya) and the last call I had was for 1 hour and 20 mins and 39 secs at a total cost of $1.17. They are not on Skype...

I'm not trying to promote their product, I just like to tell other people about it... Just like I do when people ask me about Subaru's :)

My Dad in Brisbane has a Cable Internet Connection and we have got Telstra to remove the normal phone line connection and he just uses Skype only and his total phone bills (including his internet bill) are never over $40/mth.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Communication”