Mighty Car Mods latest build AUG23!

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Mighty Car Mods latest build AUG23!

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:33 am

Anyone else enjoying this series as much as I am??

If you’ve missed it, here’s episode 1 to get you started!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1bof-rNoE

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Re: Mighty Car Mods latest build AUG23!

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:11 pm

Well then, oops :oops: Should have checked more thoroghly before I made the same thread :lol:

It's going great I would say, they got onto painting a lot sooner than I expected while the underside was still original condition. Was cool to see the upcoming Subarino 5 stud conversion kit and how it's supposed to go together...giving me ideas for my ute now :lol:

We might be entering an interesting time for the old Brum, where they go from niche fan group curiosity to mainstream classic. Often I've thought if you were back in the 60's and 70's how could you have predicted what cars of that time would be worth squillions now (VW bus is my favorite example) Just maybe the Brumby will be one of those :mmm: Better hold onto mine and give it the same treatment as the wagon got.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:18 pm

Hehehe, all good mate!

Paint was interesting getting straight into it. Since Subaru is sponsoring the build for their cause I wonder what their deadlines for the build were.

Subarino’s 5 stud kit looks awesome! Very well fitting with a lot of attention to detail. It certainly opens up options for brakes and rims. The rim combinations will be the next big topic of debate as this conversion becomes mainstream as such.

I think the Brumby is already in that classic sort of zone. They weren’t overly expensive from what I understand. I don’t think they hit 15G new from the factory, an old second hand dealer told me well over a decade ago about how stoked he was when he sold a beige brumby for $13,500 - $500 more than they were new. That was c2007 when we were looking for Sunnie the Brumby.
I doubt they’ll hit muscle car status like those of the 60’s and 70’s for two reasons. First one is there’s just too many of them around because they were so popular for so many years. The second is we’re headed into an era of great change in the fuel source used to get us around. This will have a potential profound effect on the number of internal combustion engine propelled vehicles remain on the roads.

We’ll see where that goes in the coming decade…

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the next instalment of this build series. I’m also wondering how many episodes there are in total.

Cheers

Bennie

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:39 pm

If it ends up like this one, I'll be the happiest person on the planet to own it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD0EBi8tJT0

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:00 am

That’s an epci build Subyroo! I saw that one last week. Only thing I didn’t like was the wheel spaces you can see in the multi stud rims. Otherwise it’s bang on in my book!

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:33 pm

Well I'm ashamed that it took me this long to realize where I've seen this Wandi pub bumper sticker before :lol: Who do we know from Vic with a red targa Brumby and scorpion rims....

BENNIE!!!!!

Been holding out on us all this time :lol: They really got an all star team to help with this build, what with Subarino and now the east coast expert.

Consider me jelous :roll: :mrgreen:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:03 pm

Guilty! :mrgreen: And you’re considered jealous. Although don’t be! Just get yourself to Subinats in four weeks and meet the boys!

Pretty surreal at the time to say the least. Marty and Moog are awesome blokes - what you see on screen is what you get off screen too. Just two genuine and down to earth mates that are passionate about cars!

Sadly it seems I failed to get any pics of my brumby in the background of the project brumby. Rookie mistake!

It’s great to see everyone’s comments and how much ppl from all over the world are enjoying the series. I think each ep keeps getting better than the last or builds on the last one so well that you’re left satisfied but wanting more at the same time.

I’ll take it from your comments in here that you’re all enjoying the series too. It won’t be long before it’s done and dusted then it’ll be Subinats where we’ll be lucky to ever see the project brumby again afterwards…

I hope you’ve got your interest for some tickets organised. Oddly I’m out of the running for this one so I can’t win it. Best of luck to you who support the Australian Road Safety Foundation through purchasing a ticket or fifteen!

Cheers

Bennie

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:01 pm

Tell us, Bennie, as you’ve seen this build in the metal (and literally swung spanners on it) - what is your favourite thing about this build or something that took you by surprise that one might not realise from only watching the videos?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:56 pm

Good question Bumpty!

I think the biggest thing for me was meeting Marty and Moog and discovering that they’re really genuine blokes.

As for the build I think it’s just the amount of gear that’s been thrown at it in such a short amount of time. It was even shorter than what I thought it was. I don’t think
I’m “at Liberty” to say how long they’ve worked on it for. But it’s months and not many for a build of this level.

There’s lots of ppl involved, from the MCM crew chasing parts on their rounds across Sydney to mates dropping in one night to lend a hand - many would not have noticed this watching the videos.

Also seeing how it’s all filmed then edited to put the visual story together with a gentle sprinkling of some naturally awesome cinematography. It’s a real treat.

Most of all is the fact that they’ve finally done a brumby. This particular specimen could’ve been easily put on the road and just driven as it was (after a fair clean out/wash!). It’s got no rust that I know of and I didn’t hear any rust repair work needing to be done.

If this wasn’t a brumby, it would be one of those things where Subarino wouldn’t have been asked to come and join them to fit his products and work his magic, I wouldn’t have driven up to see Subarino which means I wouldn’t have any involvement. It’s a series of things that fell into place for me to be there and thus be offered to return to help out again.

Thanks for asking Bumpty! I think there’s one more episode to go then this series is a wrap up and some one takes it home…

Cheers

Bennie

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:22 pm

So true, as viewers there is no way we can appreciate the work that's gone into the production and the background to get a build like this done so quickly. It's nice to hear that Marty and Moog are genuine off camera too. They do seem genuine and down to earth on camera and I suppose it would be hard to fake that if it wasn't their natural personalities!

timmo

Post by timmo » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:51 pm

This series got me back to watching MCM, great build just needs a touring wagon dash

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:00 pm

timmo wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:51 pm
This series got me back to watching MCM, great build just needs a touring wagon dash
That would’ve been the icing on the cake! I don’t know if that was ever on their radar but they didn’t have the parts so stock dash it is as you know.

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:19 am

They did an excellent job, really. The finished product looks pretty mint, and I like the low key decals down the side as a bit of a nod to the past. Think they said time frame was something like 6 months, understandable why they didn't get all of the choicest touring wagon bits like a/c, power windows etc. It took me years to find my analog touring wagon gauge cluster :roll: Curious to know how much assistance they got from Subaru Australia, looks like they scoured all their parts departments for all the old Brumby stock at least :mrgreen:

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:10 pm

How much are the raffle tickets and how do we get our hands on them?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:13 pm

Subyroo wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:10 pm
How much are the raffle tickets and how do we get our hands on them?
Scroll right to the bottom of this page to register your interest. I don’t know how much they’ll be exactly, we’ll have to wait until those details are released. The good thing is it’s only to register your interest, not how many tickets you’re willing to buy;)

https://www.subaru.com.au/arsf-brumby

Cheers

Bennie

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:18 pm

Thanks Bennie, I think I had already done that, but did it again just to be sure, to be sure, to be sure. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:22 pm

Yeah, there'll be tickets coming my way...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:55 pm

Anyone been contacted to actually buy tickets yet?

It’s got me wondering when they’ll draw the raffle as I had it in my head it would be at Subinats - one of the reasons I decided to head up there this year. Maybe it’ll just be on display to generate more interest. Hmmm…

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:01 am

Any update on who won it ? ( or is it still awaiting certification )
Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:32 pm

I believe this isn’t far off from having tickets released. Last I heard they were sorting the last of the approvals in one or two states for the raffle.

Patience. Even though I’m keen to see who wins it or at least which state it ends up in.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Subaru Chat”