EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:28 am

Hello all,

Quick couple of questions regarding the ignition module.

Will my 1989 EA82 MPI wagon have one of these?
Where is it located (pictures/diagram if possible please)?

I'm also having starting problems after it died.

Totally my fault due to haste, lack of knowledge and a bit of stupidity thrown in too. You see I have cooked something by jimmying up a fusible loop (located behind and attached to the cooling system reservoir) with way too much wire gage. Car stopped with an electrical pop, a small puff of smoke observed coming from somewhere under/near the steering column. The bayonet on the ignition side (not the battery side) totally cooked, so I've cut the wire and jimmied in a new (original) fusible loop.

Worried that I may have cooked the engine control unit, but no sign of obvious electrical burnout damage and the fuse (ignition and ECU) is not blown.

Your assistance is gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks,
Mark.

Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:36 am

Just come across this USA discussion for an 88 model.

Not sure what an 88 Justy is equivalent to. However, they locate the ignition module to being above/near the hood leaver and is attached to side wall.

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/to ... -location/

Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:01 pm

Had a look in this location - could not find anthing.

El_Freddo
Master Member

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:07 pm

G’day Mark.

The jutsy is basically a 4x4 version of the Sherpa from what I understand. Very different to your L series.

If your L series is MPFI, you won’t have an ignition module in the dizzy, I’m not even sure if you have one at all in the MPFI system.

If something went pop and you had a puff of smoke from under the steering column that would indicate a cooked ECU worst case scenario. If it’s not that it could be a power relay of some sort. From memory there are three or four tucked up behind the panel on the RHS of the steering column. The ECU is mounted directly on the steering column above the driver’s feet.

How have you determined that the ECU is fine? If it’s getting power you should see the little LED illuminate with the ignition on. If this isn’t flashing I’d suspect that something within the ECU is fried.

Which fuse did you jerry rig? You should be able to research which fuse does what to help diagnose what was toasted.

Do you still have spark and fuel pressure?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:18 am

Thanks Bennie,

I was thinking that the ignition module was obsolete with a ECM vehicle.

I had only made a visual inspection of the computer circuit board. Given the pop and the smoke I would have thought that there would have been some obvious signs of fried up circuits. Could only see one side of the circuit board and didn't want to try to look underneath, as I couldn't see any obvious way to view the underside. I only remembered the flashing light on the computer after I saw the green light bulb after opening it up. I will have a look to see if it is flashing or not and I will also try and find the power relays.

I suspect that I've fried one or more of the power relays given the pop and a small puff of black/gray smoke.

I had only inspected the two fuse blades, the ignition/fuel and the Meter Engine. The other fuse I have mentioned is not a fuse as one imagines, its just a wire loop of thin gage wire. There are 3 or 4 of them located in a brownish plastic box, which clips onto the cooling system reservoir tank.

I was going to post some photos but it appears that this option is no longer available. Last time I made some posts here was 2012.

Many of the parts on this vehicle seem to be hard to get hold of. Even explaining the model to parts suppliers is a challenge. One auto supply said its called a GL wagon. Using the the word Leonie sometimes results in being offered parts that do not fit. Using the word Touring Wagon (which is a faded decal on its roof) results in a blank face response, or the words "the computer says no". I've done some browsing for a replacement computer and I've discovered that it's going to be a mission and a half to find a replacement. So hopefully its only a relay.

I'll reply back after I've had a look for the relays.

Mark.

Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:31 pm

Green light from the computer flashes when the ignition is turned on.

I've located 3 power relays above the steering column and the computer. The relays visually look OK and do not smell of smoke. I'll have to get hold of a multimeter and do some testing.

The Haynes 1979-1995 repair manual (manual 89703 - Page 12-4) identifies an ignition relay being located under the dash somewhere (poor diagram as the relay is shown on the windscreen). There is also an ECM instrument panel electrical component identified towards the centre of the vehicle (American left hand drive diagram shown in the manual). It appears to be a light bulb, which could be a feature on other models, but not on my vehicle.

Mark.

Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:21 pm

I found a diagram that identifies the 3 different power relays (for a 1992 Brumby). https://www.fixya.com/cars/t26588021-fu ... aru_brumby

The two relays that sit next to each other and slot into metal clips, are identified as the fuel (Green electrical socket) and Ignition (Brown). The relay located away from the other 2, and has no clip to retain it, is the Blower (Neutral). Now on my car the colours are Blue, White and Clear (Neutral I assume is the same as the clear colour).

I swapped the relays around to see if the car would start. Didn't start. Have not tested the relays with a multi-meter as yet.

As mentioned above, I've replaced the coil with a new one. There is power to the connection at the coil. There is no spark/power coming out of the coil.

The computer light (green in colour) pulses 7 times with an approximate pause of 1.3 - 1.5 second, followed by another 7 pulses. The light pulses all appear to be short flashes to me.

I can not identify what this code is from page 6-11 of the Haynes Manual for 1979 to 1994 vehicles, or from another Haynes Manual for diagnostic codes that I found on the internet https://2fiftycc.com/cruiser/Haynes%20A ... 0Codes.pdf

This web link is not helpful, as it does not identify the light flashing sequence that relate to each of the codes.

I can only assume that no fault codes have been recorded, as the fault codes are either 2 to 6 long flashes followed by 2 to 5 short flashes. Anything resembling 7 flashes relates to the identification of the model variant according to the 79-94 haynes manual.

Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:36 pm

OK also found this in the Haynes Manual

7 short flashes = Australian model with no turbo.

1 short flash = Australian turbo model with manual transmission
3 short flashes = Australian turbo model with auto transmission

Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:05 am

The ultimatesubaru discussion forum has a couple of threads that identify the coil transistor being a starting issue. There are also discussions regarding a noise suppressor/filter also being a starting issue. However I have not worked out where the noise suppressor/filter is located and what it looks like. There is an L shape bracket located near the coil which I will have a closer inspection of, appeared to be slightly damaged.

These things do not explain the small puff of smoke and electrical pop observed from the driver's seat. I held the power relays when I turned the ignition on and they all click over(faint sound but you can feel the gates move in your hand). Can not find any electrical damage anywhere around the steering column.

The transistors are apparently not easy to get hold of, part number HF8311. Type in "1989 Subaru MPI coil transistor HF8311" into an internet search to view what they look like. A USA website has them advertised at around $10. I'll try an auto parts supplier to see if they can source one, otherwise I'll find an internet supplier. According to the ultimatesubaru discussions, the transistor amplifies power that is sent from the coil to the distributor and the ECM/ECU controls the transistor. I have not had any power/spark from the coil, so the transistor is looking like it has been the issue.

Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:53 pm

Its looking like I may have slightly damaged the ECU. Still have to run some multi-meter tests to confirm. I have not dared to try and look at the under-side of the ECU, not even sure how to get to the back of teh circiut board.

Not sure what they are, could be power transformers prehaps, located on the right side and stand upright on the ECU casing wall. One of the small black rectangle compents has a greenish corrosion look to it and both of the top edges of it are corroded/burnt off. Cant see any other suspect damage.

Can not find a replacement ECU anywhere on the internet. Subbie wreckers at Currumbin were checking but never got back to me or I missed their return call. If they had one or found one, I'm sure they would be still trying to call me back to make a sale.

Only found PEC in Victoria that have ebay adds for a buy-outright repaired ECU ($660) or send your ECU and buy an exchange ECU ($420) for an 1989 EA82 non-turbo L series. Contacted them and they said they do not have any in storage, so it was a case of send my ECU to them to be repaired. Must be old ebay adds that have not been removed.

Called Cool Drive Auto - Southport. They said call their office in Cabulcha. Have not done this, as I want to try sort this out locally on the Gold Coast in possible.

Called DS auto electronics - Mount Warren Park - wanted $300 to bench test it and I would have to remove the Dizzy also for the bench test. Last time I looked at the Dizzy 10yrs ago it seemed to be fused on.

Can anyone recommend an ECU repairer located not to far from the Gold Coast?

Any recommendations as to how to get hold of another ECU?

ECU lable:
22611 AA620
A11 - 000 - R33 8928

I assume the 8928 if a date code.

Found 1 ECU in USA very similar, but off a Turbo model 22611 AA630. Was advised by Cool Drive that the injector rates may be different. I did find a USA Subaru discussion forum when they were going to used a non-turbo ECU on a Turbo model or visa versa...so not sure if there is an interchangability or not. Still rare as hens teeth as far as my internet research has revealed.

I'd like to keep the car operational and stock-standard. It's just a shame that these EA82 Touring Wagons have some non-interchangable parts with the other L series/Leone models and finding these parts can be a battle and a half to find. If I can get hold of a working second-hand ECU then I could use it and repair the original EUC as a backup...a strategy to accumulate some of these rarer parts before they are completely obsolute to keep the car from going to the scrap yard.

Silverbullet

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:48 pm

The power relays you speak of, one of them being for ignition; have you bench tested them for continuity of the contacts? I've seen relays that still click on/off but have no continuity of the contacts, contact material blown away by over current or the little copper strips inside melted away.

Also if one of those transistors is blown I'd be taking it to a professional if you don't have experience with circuit board repair. That style of transistor package is a bit of a pain in the proverbial to remove from a board (used to do a bit myself in a previous job)

Hope you get it sorted either way.

Mark_G

EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by Mark_G » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 am

No I have not tested the power relays. However I have swapped them around. The fuel relay is working, you can hear the fuel pump work when the ignition is turned on. The fuel power relay swapped for the ignition relay didn't make any difference in trying to get the car to kick over.

Yes, I'm not going to attempt to repair the ECU myself. I'm looking for a pro within the Gold Coast region to repair it.

I've still got to test if the ECU with a multi-meter to see if it transferring power to the coil when the car is cranked over.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: EA82 MPFI ignition issue

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am

Topic split from the EA81 ignition module thread and given it's own thread here ;)

Regards

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”