'tween the exhaust flange assembly and the head ?

logonberry

'tween the exhaust flange assembly and the head ?

Post by logonberry » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:39 am

Hi , I am doing a top end overhaul on EA81 and for the first time I have to completely remove the exhaust flange thingy from the head due to studs seized in the cast iron part ( by seized I mean the stud shank completely fused to the cast iron spacer flange thingy of no name ) . Please excuse my terminology, my manual does not show or make any mention of this part ( I am not hugely fond of Gregorys but what else is there?). On the face that is in contact with the head there is a groove in which there is a seal of some sort. Also no mention of this seal and no matching seal came with the top end gasket set.
Does this component have a name and what is the seal ? Also who supplies replacement studs and their nuts and the strange little bolts that need a special tool to undo because an ordinary ringy wont fit and the hex is too munted by heat and rust to get a grip.
Looking forward to some pearls of wisdom so I can get Brumbus back together, cheers.

Subyroo

Re: 'tween the exhaust flange assembly and the head ?

Post by Subyroo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:08 am

Here are 2 links, I for the Workshop Manual for an EA81 and the others for the Parts Manual with the part numbers.

Note: Just click the green Download button only.

https://mega.nz/file/zDgQwa4D#8CD8g4EmC ... Udh_KPNNqk

https://mega.nz/file/rP400Q4I#j3mxIbWez ... lAzfX2MeAc

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:57 pm

I can’t say I’ve ever had them off! They were placed there for the EGR system or some sort of anti pollution gear. One side is just a spacer, the other side is where the Exhaust Gas is collected from.

As for removing them I reckon you’ll have to soak with some Inox or some other penetrative stuff to help loosen the rust hole in there. The other two bolts are probably a torx bolt from memory. You might have to drill/cut the head off to remove the cast pieces, then do a stud removal of some sort to get the rest of the bolt out of the head.

And I always thought they just used an exhaust gasket in between the cast piece and the head. I really can’t be sure on that as like I said, I’ve never removed one...

All the best with it, let us know how you go with it!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:15 pm

You talkin' about this :

Cast block for ERG to burn off vapours ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

Return to “Exhausts”