2011 Liberty GT wagon, verify auto electrician claim

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
LibertyGT

2011 Liberty GT wagon, verify auto electrician claim

Post by LibertyGT » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi all, hoping someone is willing help educate me a bit.
I have a 2011 Liberty GT premium wagon, long story short sunroof was leaking, water made its way into floor and caused some electrical faults (battery draining, no rear view camera, mcintosh stereo stopped functioning).
Took it to auto elec who has been pretty hopeless, after 3 months he's told me the amplifier under the passenger seat has water damage and needs to be replaced, cost for the part is $800 used, or $1500 new from Subaru (parts only).
If anyone can shed some light on the situation I'd really appreciate it. I don't have much knowledge on the subject, just don't want to get ripped off, wasn't aware there was an 'amplifier' under the seat, I thought the head unit powered the whole deal?
Thanks in advance
Dane

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: 2011 Liberty GT wagon, verify auto electrician claim

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:09 pm

G’day Dane.

It’s highly likely the amplifier is under a seat, I wouldn’t be surprised by that at all. You could download a digital manual and confirm the location of the amplifier.

You will probably find your ECU is under your passenger’s feet if Subaru retained the same placement from the early 2000’s. Not a great place to have an ECU if your outside air duct leaks water...

As for a replacement amplifier, try using your VIN in partsouq.com and see what the damage is. Just remember those prices are in $US so you’ll need to work out the conversion ;) This could be a good avenue to go with instead of second hand or new from a local arm-dealership!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

LibertyGT

Re: 2011 Liberty GT wagon, verify auto electrician claim

Post by LibertyGT » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:24 pm

Gday Bennie,

Thanks so much for replying, the website you suggested is a great resource, will certainly be using again in future. I should be able to track down the part in question.
Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.
Regards, Dane

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”