time for a new alternator - which one?

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Otago brumby

time for a new alternator - which one?

Post by Otago brumby » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:55 am

Hello there

my 89 brumby has the "dim battery light - gets brighter when accelerating" problem, so currently sorcing a used replacement

I tried a new replacement one here from the local sparky, but it's a non=regulated one

thinking of rebuilding the old one - about 70$ - or what other alternators are a direct plug and play?

there is a thread berlow, but the links are to ebay auctions that have disappeared

Cheers

Chris

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: time for a new alternator - which one?

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:46 pm

G’day Chris!

There’s a mod where you swap in an Nissan Maxima alternator. You need to swap the pulley over and this is the tricky bit as you need to find a suitable pulley to use - from what I’ve read, the dual pulley EA82 unit is the way to go.

The wiring is plug and play. Read more here

Another mod is to use an EJ alternator - shave down the front housing to clear the EA pulley that needs to be fitted. Wiring mods are required for this swap. I’ve not done it personally but know of it being done - can’t say it’s documented anywhere through.

All the best and let us know how you get along with your replacement.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GL-5

Post by GL-5 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:19 pm

I have used a nissan alternator before. Used the pully of the old alternator. From memory (15y ago) I had to drill the pair of mounting points slightly larger (bugger all) to get the long bolt to fit through. I also required a spacer on the alternater shaft to line up the belt correctly.

I've stripped the original alternators down, cleaned the slip rings, replaced the bearings and brushes. Always had trouble sourcing a new regulator though, probably too expensive.

Last time I needed a replacement in a hurry the local auto electrician had a 60Amp Hitachi remanufactured for 240AUD i think. I would have prefered a new nissan one though, especially if you wanted to run extra lights.

I've had this in my ebay list for years (item 172876621304) 70A and 175$ free postage. However I've never needed to buy. Just double check fitment because it's been a long time since I researched and added it.

I always carry a spare alternator among other things these days. In the many return Adelaide/Melbourne trips i've done i've managed to pop a coil, distributor control module, fuel pump and an alternator regulator. Spares have meant I was back up and running in no time.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:31 am

Spares are good.

I blew a PS pump while driving up Mt Hotham. I didn’t have the smaller belt for the EJ to run just the alternator as they share the belt for alt and PS.

I was lucky I had a dual battery (not a great one) - I managed to drive to Repco in Bright and order the single belt. Long story short after fitting the belt and getting a jump start I continued the four he drive to Melbs no worries.

That belt still lives in the glovebox. With the EJ, all I carry spare is some fuel hose and a spare pump.

With your ignition module in the dizzy, if it dies always check the coil first. A dead coil kills electronic ignition coils. That was an expensive lesson :cry:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GL-5

Post by GL-5 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:31 pm

Yeah, coil (aftermarket) took out the dizzy. I was completing overtaking a truck and pop it went. Just enough time to pull in front and pull over lest be stuck in the wrong lane.

Ended up getting trucked back to Adelaide from Naracoorte. Thankyou Naracoorte Holden and RACV roadside assist :) First time visit there. Was coming back via Hamilton as the A8 highway was blocked at Ballarat (2011 floods).

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”