My Vortex Project

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Johnny T

Re: My Vortex Project

Post by Johnny T » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:58 am

Here are some photos of what has been done, if everything goes according to plan the car will be in the booth this week.

After the car comes back home going to get the rest of the engine tuned up, replace all the seals and O rings, etc... then put back in and hopefully before the end of the year have it back on the road.
Last edited by El_Freddo on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added image codes to display images

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:47 am

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update, I have the opportunity to get a 3.6ltr R engine, auto, loom etc... and would like to know if this will fit into the car (clearly there will need some custom work for the engine to bolt in, but just need to know if it is possible for it to fit with the auto and such).

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:33 am

Just another update, just waiting on the front and rear bars to be done, mirrors, door handles and then I can start the interior soon :)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:50 am

looking really good Johnny T well done

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks Toonga, I'm hoping I can get the 3.6R engine and auto to fit as I can get the entire running gear pretty cheap, on the plus side if it does fit I'll have to sell my old running gear with the 5 stud discs and everything to make space lol

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:38 pm

You’ll need to keep your 5 stud setup! Big brakes will be required.

Have you done any google searching of your query? I’m sure it can be done. The size of the auto is the real question.

That paint job looks schmick-o!! You’ve got to be stoked with that!! This will be a modern classic beast once it’s done!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:48 am

Johnny T wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:47 am
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update, I have the opportunity to get a 3.6ltr R engine, auto, loom etc... and would like to know if this will fit into the car (clearly there will need some custom work for the engine to bolt in, but just need to know if it is possible for it to fit with the auto and such).
The engine and transmission will fit with little modification to the engine bay. The biggest problem will be closing the bonnet as the 3.6 is taller than the EA82 I had the same problem with putting an EJ22 into my vortex I ended up using a 2 inch drop on the crossmember to get the alternator to clear the bonnet.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:55 pm

JohnnyT starts a new project - alternator relocation on the 3.6R H6...

Best of luck with it Johnny, I hope it works out for you!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Pretty sure you'll need to change over the radiator support panel or relocate the radiator to allow the 3.6

I'd recommend looking for a ER27 nose cut to help out

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:44 pm

Oh and wow that paint work looks great

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Thanks for the reply guys

I have been speaking to a few engineers and told me its not worth the headache to get it all running, so I have passed on fitting the big block into it. But on the plus side I have taken the EA82 to my mechanic who is going to replace all the seals, rings,timing belts, plugs and machine the heads (if needed) and all the other bits and pieces that it needs as once the engine is going in I do not plan to take it out again :)

As for the paint work, its currently getting cut back and corrected, should have the front / rear bars, door handles, mirrors, bonnet scoop (once I get the bolts off as they just keep spinning when I try to undo them) and head light covers painted either this week or mid next week. Once the body is back together it will be getting the paint protection added as well.

I do have another question, would it be possible to run the fwd loom and plug the 4wd ecu in or are the plug connections different?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 pm

If not going the H6 why not drop an EJ22 in it? Or one of the EJ20 turbos? Totally worth it!

If your engineer doesn’t like it I’d be looking for a new engineer!

On the H6, you could remote mount the alternator behind the engine, plenty of room of something like that. You’d have to work out how to run a shaft to the rear OR (a big one as it’s expensive) you can get a high speed flexible line to get around obstacles.

Heard of project binky? YouTube search it - episode 20 (from memory), the later part of the episode has the details on this item. No need to go overboard like they have with the machine work. Show offs!! Beyond awesome work too.

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Sun May 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Hi everyone

Just an update on this car, I have had it resprayed from bare metal and should have the engine back from my mechanic in a month, getting all the seals, gaskets, rings etc.. done to it so it will run like new :)

I am also after some external trims as I have miss placed them and have turned my garage upside down numerous times. I would like to know if anyone has some spares they are willing to sell. I am only after the rear 1/4 trims just above the rear 1/4 panels. If anyone has some spares, please let me know as it would extremely helpful finishing this car :)

moonbuggy

Post by moonbuggy » Tue May 19, 2020 12:59 am

Hi Johnny

That's a stunner of a ride you have there, but you don't need me to tell you that. :)

There's a Vortex at a SA U Pull It I'm hoping to get to later this week. It was broadcast on facebook so it could be picked clean by now, but I'm happy to have a look and grab the trim and panels you need if they're still around and not too gnarly.

Cheers
Sarah
A blinking light of indeterminate purpose

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue May 19, 2020 6:07 am

Thanks for the reply Sarah that would be amazing help, just cant wait to get everything done :)

moonbuggy

Post by moonbuggy » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 pm

Were any of those parts useful, Johnny? I’m guessing the lockdown hasn’t helped progress. Fingers crossed things stay under control over there. :)
A blinking light of indeterminate purpose

Return to “My Subi”