NEW FORUM TEST

Testing and what ever here.
SuBaRiNo

NEW FORUM TEST

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:54 am

Forum is back in action... and it actually works. Can't remember when I last logged on.

TEST TEST!

AndrewT

Re: NEW FORUM TEST

Post by AndrewT » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:42 am

Your last post was March 2017 :p

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Awesome

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:10 pm

TEXT TEST
I'm here!

SMILEY TEST
:???: :) :confused: :( :D :o :rolleyes:

;-)

OOPS those don't work (yet...)
:mrgreen:

Hope my .sig appears...Nope!

admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:52 am

You might need to re-create your signature.

As for smilies, :evil: :lol: :twisted: :neutral: :idea:
Well some of them seem to work.
They're enabled.
I really have no idea though. We'll need a few mods who know what they're doing to tweak some of these little bits & pieces I think.

pitrack_1

signatures, smilies and active topics

Post by pitrack_1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:54 am

Hello admin! I notice it's you first post, so welcome! :lol: (although it lists you as being a member since 2005)
admin wrote:You might need to re-create your signature.
Actually, just noticed it came across. Peoples, you'll need to activate your signatures by going into "User Control Panel" -> Board Preferences -> Edit posting defualts and turning "Attach my signature by default:" to "On". I think you may need to resubmit your signature as well (in "User Control Panel" -> Profile -> Edit Signature)
admin wrote: As for smilies, :evil: :lol: :twisted: :neutral: :idea:
Well some of them seem to work.
They're enabled.
I really have no idea though. We'll need a few mods who know what they're doing to tweak some of these little bits & pieces I think.
That's OK, just trying out the ones that didn't list with an actual icon.

As this is the sandbox for a new site perhaps we can list some of the little idiosyncrasies to be worked out? Like:
  • the "active topics" link doesn't return anything either logged in or as a guest (changing time limit doesn't help).
  • Latest posts link works but you need to be logged in... any chance of having it available for guests, similar to the old site's "Today's posts"?

Thanks,

Patrick.
Last edited by pitrack_1 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

pitrack_1

Signature test

Post by pitrack_1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:57 am

Test it adds my signature below...
Patrick.

(Sig below here...hopefully..Yes!)
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

Bantum
General Member

Test

Post by Bantum » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:28 am

Testing to see what works ...

:mrgreen: :evil: :cry: :oops: :razz: :-x :lol: 8-) :twisted: :roll: :neutral: :arrow: :idea: :?: ;-) :???: :) :confused: :( :D :o :shock: :rolleyes:

* it looks like most of the emoji work ( not all of them but )

Cheers, Bantum ...

+ signature works ... :)

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:52 am

I am somewhat happy that the main issue here seems to be exactly which emoticons work and which don't :)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:57 am

so why does my signature appear in some posts but not all?

TOONGA

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 am

did that work?

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49 pm

Nope. Checked your user settings??

Cheers

Bennie

PS: mine’s not showing up anymore either - I had to manually select the “show signature” option below the new reply window.
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:06 am

Testicles 1, 2 ...3!

Who is the admin/mod team?
Does Brett have anything to do with the new site or has this been created by someone else?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:39 pm

Andrew_T is the captain. I’ll let him lay it all out as I’m not completely in the loop.

Cheers

Bennie

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:30 am

Hello. I am sponsoring and providing hosting services, and also converted the old forum into this new up-to-date platform, which included importing all existing posts, user accounts etc.
This forum doesn't have any dependency on Brett. He does still has an old copy of the old forum running (which is missing the last few years of posts) at ausubaru.com for some reason.
As all the same user accounts were brought across to here, whoever was previously a moderator should still be a moderator - including Brett. Although I don't think any of them are really active. I do the best I can keeping an eye on things every few days.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm

And efforts you’ve gone to secure the forum and set it up to a functional platform once again is greatly appreciated Andrew.

It’d be good to have it “moving” like it was about ten years ago, but I guess priorities change for some, vehicles are replaced by other makes and of course, new platforms take over like bookface ;(

Thanks for explaining the above too.

Cheers

Bennie

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm
And efforts you’ve gone to secure the forum and set it up to a functional platform once again is greatly appreciated Andrew.

It’d be good to have it “moving” like it was about ten years ago, but I guess priorities change for some, vehicles are replaced by other makes and of course, new platforms take over like bookface ;(

Cheers

Bennie
A lot of people also prefer to use social media too, i.e. Facebook - Twitter etc. :(

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 am

I've often thought it would be good to link the two together somehow. There is a lot of valuable input going into Facebook that gets pretty much lost - it's not exactly easy to search back in Facebook groups and find what you want. Likewise there are people who use FB and not forums and vice versa. I thought maybe a forum section in here called "Facebook Posts", linked to a particular Facebook group (like for instance "Subarus Offroad Australia" is a good one).

- Every post that is made on the Facebook group, also pops up as a new thread on here.
- Every reply someone does on the Facebook group shows up as if a member here replies, except they are "Facebook User - Joe Bloggs".
- It could also go both ways, so a member of this forum could do a normal forum reply, and that would show up as a post on actual Facebook, but from "Ausubaru.com.au user Dennis Denuto".

I think it's fairly easy to get a Facebook feed running into a website, but not so sure about as actual posts / threads in a forum.
Also, the forum would need its own actual Facebook account to make the posts and not sure how that would fit in with Facebook's guidelines.

Just a thought anyway - a way to blend the two so the communities can still communicate with each other on common themes.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:13 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Cheers

Bennie
Seconded! What you’ve done is greatly appreciated Andrew!

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:18 pm

AndrewT wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 am
I've often thought it would be good to link the two together somehow. There is a lot of valuable input going into Facebook that gets pretty much lost - it's not exactly easy to search back in Facebook groups and find what you want. Likewise there are people who use FB and not forums and vice versa. I thought maybe a forum section in here called "Facebook Posts", linked to a particular Facebook group (like for instance "Subarus Offroad Australia" is a good one).

- Every post that is made on the Facebook group, also pops up as a new thread on here.
- Every reply someone does on the Facebook group shows up as if a member here replies, except they are "Facebook User - Joe Bloggs".
- It could also go both ways, so a member of this forum could do a normal forum reply, and that would show up as a post on actual Facebook, but from "Ausubaru.com.au user Dennis Denuto".

I think it's fairly easy to get a Facebook feed running into a website, but not so sure about as actual posts / threads in a forum.
Also, the forum would need its own actual Facebook account to make the posts and not sure how that would fit in with Facebook's guidelines.

Just a thought anyway - a way to blend the two so the communities can still communicate with each other on common themes.
This is the first time I’ve heard the idea of trying to integrate the 2 platforms, and if cracked it could well be the way for forums to stay active and valuable information stored. Facebook is like a hole in the pocket, what goes in will eventually fall out through the bottom and be lost.

Return to “Sandbox”