My Vortex Project

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:29 pm

I don't know as I haven't done it myself, I just know that this is the go with the EJ brake conversion.

I do know that Gen1 stuff definitely works. They will still need mods to fit, drill a hole as mentioned.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:46 am

Johnny T wrote:Just an update
I will be removing the air suspension from my black Vortex (looks good super low at the moment when its not bolted to the rear axle). If I'm going to sell the air suspension how much would they be worth and also where is the control box for it or is it in the ECU?
Been away for awhile. Didn't realise this forum was still up & running :p
Did you end up selling the air shocks?
And were they still holding air?

I'm fixing up an import Turbo touring wagon & these were already swapped out. Was about to start ripping out the air line & compressor, etc, but if I could get the shocks...
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:10 am

Hey Wagonist,

I have sent you a PM

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:45 pm

How's this little project bubbling these days?

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi Bennie,

Sorry haven't has much time to post or do much as my better half and I are prepping up a nursery for our little one in October, so this project maybe on hold again lol :)

Everything is going well, I have the engine out, front struts in and should be putting the backing plates in a few weeks as I'm getting them made with a laser cutter.

The next step is for me is to get the 3sp Auto out and get the car rolling so the bay can get painted. fingers crossed this will be done by the end of next month :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Get all projects/book read on your book list/sleep done before the little one arrives!

And don't worry about the nursery, they'll sleep where ever you put them :p

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon May 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi everyone, just a small update.

I am picking up my backing plates tomorrow night (got them laser cut to fit the rear hubs) and just trying to find where to buy a new set of disc (front and rear) for when they can't be used as I have them machined and was told they will last for another 20,000k - 30,000k before I need to find replacements. Would anyone know where I can get a set of XT6 brake discs?

Thanks again and more photos to come shortly in the next few weeks :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 29, 2018 10:02 am

If you've got Xt6 gear, you can run what ever EJ brake kit you want, at least up to the Gen3's stuff.

Plenty of options in the Gen1 and Gen2s ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:10 am

Hi guys

just an update, I have both engines out and had my Turbo checked by my mechanic (its in good condition) but and I am after a gasket for the turbo to the exhaust as it damaged. I know that findings a new one is out of the question but would anyone know where I can get a good second hand one from?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 am

A TD04 one off a WRX should be close enough, the only difference is the rear hole in the flange is about 10mm further back
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 am

Thanks Gannon

I called my local Subaru Dealer and managed to get 2 new ones (last ones as well) and should be picking them up later today. I'm thinking of keeping the other as a spare and using it as a template as I know you can get gasket paper just in-case I need to use it :)

Johnny T

Re: My Vortex Project

Post by Johnny T » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:22 am

Hi all

Just a small update. The car is almost ready to get the bay painted and when it comes back I'll be putting the engine back in after it gets a full service and change all the gaskets and pump etc..

I have been looking at some wheels and found a set of BBS wheels, but would like to know if it is what 19" wheels will fit without any issues. My options are:
19x8.5
19x9
19x9.5
19x10
19x11
19x12

These are the wheels I am looking at getting

Any advise will be very helpful

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:25 am

Hi all

Just a quick one, my car is booked to get painted this weekend but I will need to remove the dash and interior, just wanted to know how to remove the dash trim without snapping it, does anyone have any simple tips on how to do this?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:34 pm

I don’t know how to remove the dashboard from a vortex, but I found this on the USMB:

NocturneVoyager said:
Speaking of removal - if you want to remove just the front plastic bezel piece on an 86 XT, is that as equal of a pain in the butt too?

Turbone said:
The trim piece around the radio and inst panel? Yeah, its a pain. You need to remove the little rectangular piece of plastic next to the clock/trip computer. Theres a screw in there, remove it. You practically need to remove the radio and eq to remove the piece. I think theres two screws on the very bottom under the radio that holds the trim. I think the rest of it, around the panel, just snaps in. But its usually really brittle, so be easy with it.

I hope that helps you a bit. Apparently there are lots of hidden screws/bolts on this thing. I’ve never pulled one out so can’t help any further sorry.

Awesome that you’re booked in for a spray job, that’s exciting!!

As for the rims, try a tyre calculator online. This should help working out the overall rolling diametre ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:20 am

Thanks again for the help Bennie :)

I'll let everyone know how it goes this weekend, gonna need all the luck in the world not to destroy the trim

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:17 am

Just an update:

The car is at the paint shop and was getting the engine bay painted and my paint guy recommended we do the entire car, so that being said I wont have the vortex back for awhile now as they are going back to metal and doing the full body paint work :)

I am also still in the process in getting the new dash trims remade as it is hard to take the trim to get scanned, as the biggest issue I am having is that most places are saying it is a bit hard and cant promise they can remake the trim in one piece due to the size. So when I do have time during the day at work I am contacting as many places that can make something in the original size in once piece, I will keep everyone posted when I get more time and new :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:43 am

That’s awesome news about the engine bay painting - and epic news about going for the fully body respray!

Will that be a closed door respray or a full on door jambs and under all the windows job?

Hopefully you’ll find someone for that dash trim piece. Once they’ve scanned it they should be able to reverse it for printing. Hello US market for sales!

Cheers

Bennie

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks Bennie

Yer its going to be a full body, with door jams, windows etc.. no more factory green :)

Should be pretty easy for the 3D scanners to mirror image the trims and fingers crossed we can get them re-made at normal price as I don't think people are going to want to pay more than 200-300 + postage for them, (im just hoping its not going to cost me an arm and a leg to get everything up and running and then when people see the price they will freak out lol)

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:47 pm

Hi guys, just an update, the vortex engine bay, door jams, inner doors and inner boot lid has been painted and look amazing and should have the rest of the body done in the next few weeks if everything goes according to plan I will post some photos when I get find another site to store the photos on as photobucket rubbish with their new registrations.

But on the other note I have a set of 18's but I need to know what the XT6 offset is and hopefully someone on here can help, the rims I am selecting are the bbs ch-r.
If someone can let me know what the offset is that would be awesome :)

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Johnny T wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:47 pm
Hi guys, just an update, the vortex engine bay, door jams, inner doors and inner boot lid has been painted and look amazing and should have the rest of the body done in the next few weeks if everything goes according to plan I will post some photos when I get find another site to store the photos on as photobucket rubbish with their new registrations.

But on the other note I have a set of 18's but I need to know what the XT6 offset is and hopefully someone on here can help, the rims I am selecting are the bbs ch-r.
If someone can let me know what the offset is that would be awesome :)
Have a look at Imgur or Postimage for hosting your pictures.

https://imgur.com/

https://postimages.org/

Return to “My Subi”