89 Targa Brumby

Detailed reference pages on Members special projects ...
Suby Spanner

89 Targa Brumby

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:19 pm

I'll post pics over the next few days/weeks.

I sold my brumby in about 2000/01. Dumb thing to do, it had 9,000km when I got it (yes, 9,000km, it was my grandpa's ute and he didn't have a license so it was all farm miles) and I sold it with about 50,000km on it. The wife bought a brand new MY2015 impreza (2014 build, FYI Awesome car), and since then I've been aching for another brumby/subaru. I've checked the rego number of my old brumby and it's no longer registered, so I gave up trying to track that down.

Last week end I got what I wanted:
Red
Bull bar
Tow bar
Quad headlight
Air conditioning
Targa!!!!!
89 build with the original height-adjustable shocks :)

So it's not in the greatest of nick, appearance wise. Lots of car park dings and a nice dent in the RH rear quarter. All the chrome strips are on the rear! They're not perfect, but fine for me. Put a tonneau on it and no-one would know. The interior is pretty damn good. Dash pad is cracked, not bad. Not sure if I'll chase up a another or just put a dash mat over it. Most of the interior is great. Door trims really good, seats good. The usual hacking of the radio surround, a few screw holes for UHF's, and several switches for lights, one reverse in the tray, and spot lights under the bull bar.

The photos the seller provided made it look worse than it was, so it was a good surprise when I went to see it. A good look over shows the actual chassis is in GREAT shape. Better than my old one in fact. The sill panels are straight and rust free, the rear wheel wells are rust free, as are the front guards and the a pillar around the door hinges. Starts and runs great. Not registered, but I've belted around the yard, everything seems fine. Even has good tyres! So that's the good news.

The bad is:
Radiator leaking, I'll get it looked at, otherwise I'll put a new one in.
Oil pump leaking. Fixed plenty of them before.
Air cond not working: I have AC license, so no drama.
Front CV's stuffed, again no big deal for me.
Rocker covers leaking. I'll adjust the valve clearence while I'm there.
Tail gate is rust free, but bit ugly, especially inside. Totally salvageable though.

The real bad:
One rust hole in the tray a few inches back from the cabin wall: Looks like there was a support plate underneath, so I'm guessing mud got in there and rusted out.
The front windscreen rubber is shot: Rust in A pillars, *doesn't look that bad*, but rust is a deceitful bitch. I expect I'll need the welder :(
Rust on roof around LH glass pane.
Passenger door inside is pretty rusted, but looking at a few other threads it looks like I can raid a sedan door for a repair section if I can't find a door easy.

Now I can't spend much time on it currently for a variety of reasons, but I actually own it and look forward to fixing her up. I really want to fix up this roof and windscreen issue before I park it outside for a few months, but I know once I start, I'm committed to repairing it. I haven't even tried to open the targa for fear of making matters worse before I can spend the time repairing it. A full respray is in order, but that is some time off.

I originally wanted one I could lift, big wheels, flares and treat badly, but TBH, this one's too good for that, so it'll be a nice streeter.

This is the first targa I've seen in person, so now, I've got a few questions:
Windscreen rubber? Reading around genuine seems the best option?
One of the chrome corner trims is missing on the front screen, are they available new?
Does anyone have any info on the targa? ie. How it operates/parts diagrams etc??? Are the seals universal pinchweld, or are they genuine only? Are they even available?
Does anyone have a parts diagram for the tray section so I can work out what goes on where the rust is?
Does the targa have any covers to block the sun out when the panels are closed? I can't see how they would fit anyway.
Oh, and are the door keys different to the ignition key? The ignition key is single sided, but the doors are double, can't remember what my old one was like.
Tail-lights, haven't looked closely, but I think it's just a cracked lense. Replace the lense, or can we get good non-gen light units?
Where to source tonneau cover?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:14 am

Windscreen rubber? Reading around genuine seems the best option?
Genuine
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-Suba ... Swx-9WvDZd $249 dollars

Aftermarket

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-BRUMB ... SwA4dWKb6j

77 dollars + $14 postage

One of the chrome corner trims is missing on the front screen, are they available new?

Not that I know of, if they are they would be ex-Japan

Does anyone have any info on the targa? ie. How it operates/parts diagrams etc??? Are the seals universal pinchweld, or are they genuine only? Are they even available?

Bennie?

Does anyone have a parts diagram for the tray section so I can work out what goes on where the rust is?

If it is the middle of the tray behind the rear glass, it is a round hole with a piece of sheet metal under it as you stated perfect place to store mud, leaves and bark

Does the targa have any covers to block the sun out when the panels are closed? I can't see how they would fit anyway.

Not that I know of Bennie may know.

Oh, and are the door keys different to the ignition key? The ignition key is single sided, but the doors are double, can't remember what my old one was like.

most later model brumbys have this option from the factory aftermarket ignition barrels are double sided keys

Tail-lights, haven't looked closely, but I think it's just a cracked lense. Replace the lense, or can we get good non-gen light units?

No non genuine as far as I know.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-Suba ... 2020865986

$77.95

Where to source tonneau cover?

A good car tonneau maker?

Pictures would be nice

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:32 pm

Ok, targa glass operation:

On the outer side is the little tab to open the glass, simply flick this up and it'll then lock into place with the glass at ~30* angle.

To remove the glass: before opening, release the lock mechanism on the inner side of the glass near the centre of the ceiling, it'll be a black tab that slides back to the rear of the vehicle.

Once this is unlocked you can release the open mechanism and squeeze the chrome tabs inwards so that their "arm" section in contact with the interior panel comes out. Then the glass can be lifted up until the hinges can be slid out.

Store the glass behind the seats in the straps ensuring the rubber corner is not in contact with the trans tunnel as this will damage them.

From memory the glass sits with the rear edge facing down to the floor, with the inner side of the glass panel facing forward. You'll work it out ;)

Chrome corner piece is common on the windscreen across the MY models. Find one of those and you'll be sorted.

Be aware that rust holes in the windscreen corners can be an alert to look for early signs of rust in the A pillars and floor/under floor areas. It gets nasty if left to do its thing.

That rust in the tray will be from a little plate that covers the holes used in the US market for the rear jump seats. There's always rust in here, if not visa me from above it'll be present from under the vehicle for sure.

What section of the quarter panel has the damage?

The rest seems pretty good to start with. I'd consider some way of keeping it out of the weather as this looks after them the best.

Good little vehicles if you look after them ;)

You've probably found the build of mine already, if not it's in the resto section. It's in for some long awaited repairs, otherwise is the same setup other than the build date...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:33 pm

Toonga and El Freddo

Thanks for the interest and replies.

The main dent is high near the back of the tray, with the inner panel removed we'll be able to sort that out easy.

The straps on the back fire wall is for the targa, neat! Couldn't remember my old one having them.

I looked in the glove box tonight, found most the original stuff, except the owners manual. I have the Australian supplement and original service book: Sold in Hamilton vic, serviced over the west in SA, and now back in Adelaide, she's been around! The supplement actually has the user instructions for the targa! Sorry El Freedo for making you type that.

Not sure why the roofs so rusty, I can't find anything about the roofs rusting on the targas. They sure seem to rust everywhere else though.

I haven't taken any pics myself, (was going to host on imageshack, seems they don't do it for free anymore :mad: )

I need to give it a good scrub externally, might pay to pull the seats and floor up, but from underneath she's all good.

So with the tray rust, do people just weld a patch in? Do we need to put that plate back under it?
Someones cut the air filter box down a bit, so the winter/summer flap section is gone!
What year were catalytic converters fitted from?

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:06 pm

1986 from memory on the cat's.
>One of the chrome corner trims is missing on the front screen
I should have one of these if you want it.
I used the eBay window seals, no issues after >1 year.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:13 pm

thanks dfoyl. I was thinking 86/87 for cats, right around when Unleaded become necessary.

Looks like I scored some factory 13 inch sunraisers! Yay. Just gotta hope the guy comes good on the deal.

Only thing left I want (in terms of main parts) is an ag-quip style rear bar/step/bumper.

Does anyone have some pics of one? I've tried googling but I don't have much luck. Are they easy to copy, or should I keep my eyes peeled for a second hand setup?

Might make a diff cover, like the ag-quips had also.

When this rain nicks off I'll get some pics up.

majordad1

Post by majordad1 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:53 pm

Suby,

I am very happy with new Tonneau I got from some crowd in Gladstone was not expensive and turned up within a week. Will try and dig up the contact details and load a photo or 2. Mines a 92 and has a Catalytic converter had to replace it. Cheers Majordad

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks major dad.

Where'd the cat come from? Did you replace the whole y pipe, or just the cat itself?

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:39 pm

Let's see some pics! Apologies for the links, be damned if I can get pics in line.

Tray from above
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s2t6rzrw1axuv ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Roof between glass panels
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dtgha2jf5s9q ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Tray from underneath: Do people replace this section?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jmy0ge7zvyetg ... 5.jpg?dl=0

Windscreen, both sides are like this, the actual A pillar appears ok
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yr7sieznpknd1 ... .jpeg?dl=0

Interior
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kh1x3tt47jsjd ... .jpeg?dl=0

From the rear, that dent on the rear quarter is the biggest, tail gate isn't too bad, definitely repairable.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjuqmpperz6k5 ... .jpeg?dl=0

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:35 am

That drop box makes it difficult to post images!

Expect the A pillar corners at the bottom of the windscreen to have some holes in there once you clear off the rust scale. That is not going to be pretty sorry to say.

The rust on the roof is "interesting"...

And that panel can be cut out and replaced in the tray. I've seen one job done by a plate and some rivets. Not my cup of tea but if it works. It looks like someone has filled in the holes that plate covers, hence the level of rust in there.

The quarter panel ding looks like it'll push out with some care.

It'll be a neat little unit once it's all done ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:52 am

El_Freddo wrote:That drop box makes it difficult to post images!

Expect the A pillar corners at the bottom of the windscreen to have some holes in there once you clear off the rust scale. That is not going to be pretty sorry to say.

The rust on the roof is "interesting"...

And that panel can be cut out and replaced in the tray. I've seen one job done by a plate and some rivets. Not my cup of tea but if it works. It looks like someone has filled in the holes that plate covers, hence the level of rust in there.

The quarter panel ding looks like it'll push out with some care.

It'll be a neat little unit once it's all done ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Thanks Bennie, yeah you're right. I know the windscreen will see a couple of days with a welder, but it hasn't progressed down the pillar. If it was down the pillar I probably would have walked away from it.

Not sure why the roof shot, I'm wondering if it's had a bad repair previously from hail damage or something.

Not sure how to tackle the tray now I've had a good look, I'll get my panel beater mate to advise (read do it lol).

got the radiator out last night. The header plate is cracked, so it's junk. My radiator people will probably suggest another copper/brass job. Unless there's another better alternative.

Regarding the rad, there was only one fan: The alloy shrouded fan on the drivers side, pretty sure my old brumby had a second fan that was fitted with the air con? Am I missing a fan?

I gave it a wash yesterday and didn't find any other surprises, so other than light panel damage the real issues are:
Roof
Windscreen
Tray

I guess I could have bought a 'better' one, but given how good the body is on this, i think I've got a great little rocket.

Oh, and it starts even better than my old one.... How does that work when it's got 350,000km more on the speedo LOL.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Suby Spanner wrote:
Regarding the rad, there was only one fan: The alloy shrouded fan on the drivers side, pretty sure my old brumby had a second fan that was fitted with the air con? Am I missing a fan?

I gave it a wash yesterday and didn't find any other surprises, so other than light panel damage the real issues are:
Roof
Windscreen
Tray

I guess I could have bought a 'better' one, but given how good the body is on this, i think I've got a great little rocket.

Oh, and it starts even better than my old one.... How does that work when it's got 350,000km more on the speedo LOL.
If this car doesn't have A/C there will only be one electric fan ;) there should be a second belt driven fan...unless it used to have a/c and someone just took out the condenser fan with the rest of the A/C.

Looks like you've got some work ahead of you with that rust! or someone has some work ahead of them :o I had to do the A pillar corner on my wagon which was rusted like yours, be warned if you want to do it properly it's not for the faint of heart ;) Also the tray in my ute looks worse than yours for rust, sagged in between the chassis rails too from overloading in a previous life. I plan to one day cut the whole floor out and replace it with tread plate like this:

Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

majordad1

Post by majordad1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Local Exhaust place here in Cleveland QLD supplied one had to modify the Y pipe to fit it up. $120 from memory. Barry

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Thanks guys.

I do have air cond fitted so I'm missing a fan. Will the wreckers see if I can find one.

Got the new rad in, the rest of the system seems water tight.

Put a seal kit through the oil pump while I had the rad out.

The passenger door had a hissy fit an decided not to unlock, got the trim up enough to release it, once opened I just lubed the lock mech and it seems to have come good.

Got game and pulled up the targa panels...urgh, didn't know the panels had those curve brackets and slots to slide into, that's going to make the repair a lot more fiddly. Just for a laugh I might price up a new roof skin.

Over night I've had it indoors, but during the day it's outside. Lifted the drivers floor, that's ok, but the passengers is wet. I'll dry it out then I'm going to park it with a tarp over the roof and screen until I can commit to fixing the screen and roof. The a pillar on the passenger side is worse than I first expected, not terrible, but not great.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Oh no! Leaks suck :( My ute leaks now as well, the drivers foot well is perpetually soggy these days. No rust but cracked windscreen rubber.

New roof skin? :o Don't think such a thing exists, maybe a good used one, would be one hell of a project to replace the whole roof ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Crikey,
you have my old brumby.... ARGGHH I thought it had gone to heaven, the rear reversing light is a tell tale for me.... I take it there is an antenna mount on the roof of the beast... with a orange and blue toggle switch (they glow) on the left side of the lower dash (orange for fog and blue for Spot)

I can explain all of the switches if you need more information :) The tray light should come on when the interior light is on and the switch up by the drivers head (B pillar) is on. Also the interior light is from a L series wagon..

any chance I could catch up and see my old friend (Barry The Brumby) one last time?

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/cars/barry/index.html

now that stereo is different so that's odd and the radiator was replaced by me when I had it (new not recon) so seems that did not last long :(

Regards,
Peter

mattw

Post by mattw » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:54 pm

majordad1 wrote:Suby,

I am very happy with new Tonneau I got from some crowd in Gladstone was not expensive and turned up within a week. Will try and dig up the contact details and load a photo or 2. Mines a 92 and has a Catalytic converter had to replace it. Cheers Majordad
that would be these guys? Thanks for the prompt to go searching. I need one for mine.

http://www.kemptons.com.au/subaru-brumby-1982-current

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:08 am

pedroj wrote:Crikey,
you have my old brumby.... ARGGHH I thought it had gone to heaven, the rear reversing light is a tell tale for me.... I take it there is an antenna mount on the roof of the beast... with a orange and blue toggle switch (they glow) on the left side of the lower dash (orange for fog and blue for Spot)

any chance I could catch up and see my old friend (Barry The Brumby) one last time?

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/cars/barry/index.html

Regards,
Peter
Well, that's just not fair! I went looking for MY old brumby, and I re-acquaint someone else with their old brumby!

Yeah, absolutely can come see her, she's not registered, so you'll have to trundle into Adelaide. If you've got more pics that would be good to see too, she's not as pretty as when you had it though.

All the switches are still there I think. I honestly haven't spent much time on her (or is it him, Barrry?) Supposedly got a set of factory 13 inch white wheels coming for her.

Just worries me you though it went to heaven.... Not sure I want to know why :???:

I sent you a PM.

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:03 am

Suby Spanner wrote:Well, that's just not fair! I went looking for MY old brumby, and I re-acquaint someone else with their old brumby!

Yeah, absolutely can come see her, she's not registered, so you'll have to trundle into Adelaide. If you've got more pics that would be good to see too, she's not as pretty as when you had it though.

All the switches are still there I think. I honestly haven't spent much time on her (or is it him, Barrry?) Supposedly got a set of factory 13 inch white wheels coming for her.

Just worries me you though it went to heaven.... Not sure I want to know why :???:

I sent you a PM.
Yes the world is so strange with its tangled web of events, I had enquired about that Brumby at MororReg and asked if the license plate was still active and they said it was un registered, so assumed that the brum had gone to a wrecker. um er look at the passenger door front lower corner and the passenger side A pillar around the hinges. Also around the passenger side windscreen (lower). Where ever you see GALV paint, that was me cleaning and trying to treat the dreaded rust as it was used by a beach fisherman in Pt Lincoln I believe.

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/cars/barry/ click on the photo of the brumby with the caravan for a better view

I am sure the Brumby does not mind what it is called as long as it is loved :D

Peter.

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Hey Peter,
it can't have been used by a fisherman too much, as the body is pretty good. I agree about the door, that is pretty stuffed, my mate reckons repair it, but if I can find a decent door I might go that way. Passenger a pillar is the worst, but not as bad as many.

Return to “Restorations and Project Build Ups.”