MY/L series front strut compatibility

Cliff R
General Member

MY/L series front strut compatibility

Post by Cliff R » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:29 pm

I am under the impression L series front struts fit directly into an MY front end you just have to swap over the strut tops from the L series 3 bolt to the MY series 2 bolt tops.
Is this correct, do the struts simply swap over, is there any issue to swapping the strut tops over ?
If this is right is there any benefit to making this change (MY to L series struts)
Are MY and L series front springs the same or different ?
Just looking at my options for when I replace the MY front struts.

majordad1

MY/L Struts

Post by majordad1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Cliff , I think I have copy of MY/L series spring specs at work i'll have look tomorrow and stick it on here. Majordad

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks for that.
I have just emailed KYB asking for info on strut inserts as my front shocks are rebuildable (the tops screw off) and failing this info I have asked for info on complete front struts and rear shocks.
Looking at the KYB web site, the L series have 6 or so different configurations and multiple part numbers so I am trying to digest all this.
I am still looking for info on the mysterious Toyota (or what ever they are) air shocks that may fit the rear of an MY so I am going in a heap of different directions at the moment.
All info appreciated.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:53 pm

Cliff, don't bother going down the L series strut into MY road, I've been there and it sucks :( Short answer: no they don't just swap over. The bottom end where it plugs into the knuckle is the same, that's where the similarity ends. The springs are the same dimensions, but probably different spring rates. Overall the L struts are 30mm longer at least than MY.

The other end where the strut top bolts up is completely different. You can't put MY strut tops on an L strut because of the differing diameters and design where the threaded section is. Pull some struts apart and you'll see what I mean.

If you want L struts that badly the only way is a lift block like I did with 2 studs up top to bolt into the MY tower, and 3 bolt hole pattern on the bottom to bolt the L strut top. But because of the 30mm difference between them the block would need to be only 20mm thick (for a 50mm lift) which I realized after I'd made the blocks :( And you can't just put MY springs on an L strut because the height difference is in the shock itself and top bearing mount, you'd still end up with a strut that is too long. If you don't want a lift kit, there's no way to do it.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Silverbullet
Thanks for that, the King Spring catalogue is telling me part number KFFS-45 is good for both the Brumby/Wagon and L series.
I take your point re strut differences.
I have an old L and MY strut so will have a play as you suggest.
The car already has a 2" lift so height would be nice but not critical.
Would still love strut inserts but this isn't looking good so at the end of the day, new gas KYB's will probably end up the go.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:04 pm

Well, this probably wont be news to anyone but I have been emailing KYB and surprise, surprise, there is no front strut insert available for the MY.
I see from the web and the KYB site that P/N 333227 is the complete strut assembly and that either P/N 344276 or 343284 are for the rear.
344276 looks to be the main rear shock but does anyone know the differences between the 2 x rear shocks ?
The 343284 is listed as being for the Brumby but there are few spec details on line.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Just putting the question out there again, does anyone know the difference between the KYB 343284 and 344276.
I haven't made any enquiries yet but I need a set of new shocks for the rear of the MY wagon but may face the prospect of being told the wagons and the Brumbies rear shocks have different part numbers.
I will be aiming for KYB only.
I would be interested in the heaviest duty shock without going silly but need to be armed with info on if the wagon and Brumby rear shocks are different just what is the difference.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:58 am

How'd I miss this thread ? I found L struts do not just plug into the knuckle - need to remove about 0.5mm of tube to get it in.
There are more than one L strut - think FWD and 4WD just for starting differences. I got FWD ones in my Vortex AWD

I got 4WD struts and strut tops in a MY and gained about a 15mm lift old 4WD struts from my GLTA over the old original MY factory units.

Springs are listed as a compromise to save on part numbers, inventory etc.

L strut top has a bearing instead of a bush. Think you can still buy aftermarket top mounts for MY

a new brake hose with an extra 10 or 15mm on the top half from the mid hose mount might also be ideal

I got Monroe Wylie shocks as per Rockautos catalogue did not worry about part numbers got their Ultra G twenty bucks a piece, and some no names for ten bucks each plus postage. Buy local you likely wont get change from 200 plus gst

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:50 pm

I'm not going to worry about L struts into the front of the MY.
I will stick with an original MY set up (of some sort/brand)
I still want to explore if the MY wagon and Brumby rear torsion bars are rated differently (Brumby heavier ?) but I still find myself really interested in L rear shocks/springs.
Not sure why but I like the idea of individual springs (one each side) over the torsion bar.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Bought these, can only hope they fit.
Waiting for them to arrive.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182024610961 ... EBIDX%3AIT

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:36 pm

Loving my aftermarket L Series 4WD struts in the Brumby :) Forgotten all the dicking around to make them fit already included welding the brake hose retainer tabs in correct for MY location, the extra holes for the top mount, making the jelly bean reinforcing washers and the laugh was finding some goose had fitted the units to the wrong side when thy were installed on my GLTA. Ride is a little firmer than std MY and front sits about 15mm higher than before.

Cliff, did the matches number up or taking a gamble at that price ?

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Steptoe
Taking a gamble really.
For a total of $70 with delivery and the description sounding better than 50% towards they might fit I went for it.
If they don't fit, I will have to work out what they do fit and sell them on but hopefully they will fit and all will be good.
I will end up with new shocks into the rebuild able shock so all good.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”