Red Targa Brumby

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Ok so I've been a little bit naughty, finally got some decent pics to share as Dad's done all the fitting and I've not seen Redback in person for three weeks (and it's killing me not having either subi to drive :()

This is the latest addition to Redback - and I got to go for a drive with it today into the northern burbs of Melbs. *I just wish Redback would move quicker when I want her to, but I also don't want to do a massive conversion either - anyway, I digress, here's the new bar:

Now with those naughty in your face (if you stop to read them) BnS stickers removed, the Wandi pub one can stay for now. *Took a few poser pics out at Airport West roof top parking where it was quiet traffic wise:

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:55 pm

And the Money shots:

Driver's perspective (commodore style :p):

The bar itself is a bit rough, got some rust and the left hand corner has been repaired at some point, apparently the number plate hides a bit of this. *Dad fitted it once it arrived as he's borrowing my wheels (dad's car = cooked - still working on the replacement, but worse still mum's written off her little GEM with a roo 3 weeks ago - not a good time for them!). *He added the LED indicator lights and light bar. *I'm currently adding the wiring for the spotties to see if they work, plus who doesn't like a bit more light at night?

The aim now is to sort out the lights I want on the bar (indicator/clearance etc), fit them then remove everything and send the bar in for some sand blasting action and a good coat or two of primer/semi gloss black. *This will take some time as it's all about low budget for me on this one... I don't mind doing some work on it to get it to where I want it but in this case I'll take it somewhere to have the work done as I really cbf'd doing it. Plus beggars can't be choosers, for the price I paid I can't complain (plus it looks awesome!). But *I am having trouble containing myself as there's things "I just want done now" on it, but I guess we're all like that to a degree!

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:21 am

nice
looking like a b&s ute, needs some 14's and a roll bar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:50 am

Looking more tough by the day :twisted:

+1 on the 14's, looks like she could use some bigger wheels and tyres to fill up the guards better. Even if you don't go that much bigger in diameter (losing performance) 14x6 rims will give you more width which is all I got when I put Desert Rats on my ute, but it improved the look so much. Powder coated gloss black with a big chrome can hub cap really sets it off. Well, as much as you can on a 30 year old ute with cracked paint :rolleyes:

Performance wise you might be happy with just a bigger exhaust and Weber conversion without spending huge $$$ and time on EJ swaps etc.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

henpecked

Post by henpecked » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:10 am

Looks VERY good

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Love that low down front on shot with the twin roofs popped up :-)

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Nice pics.

Pacing yourself with expenditure has only come about with me in the last 5 years...and I'm 59yo. Up till then its been "gotta do it now " with sacrifices immediately.

Some expert I read once said its a sexual thing with young men. I dont doubt it. Cars, trikes etc could have satisfied me for a while when I was single a few times. Like women and makeup.

Only for a while. .....:cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:45 pm

subaruby wrote:nice
looking like a b&s ute, needs some 14's and a roll bar
Thanks mate. I've thought a tidy looking B&S ute could be a good bit of fun. The 14s aren't going to happen, unless someone sports me a black set of those new scorpion style rims...
Silverbullet wrote:Looking more tough by the day :twisted:

+1 on the 14's, looks like she could use some bigger wheels and tyres to fill up the guards better. Even if you don't go that much bigger in diameter (losing performance) 14x6 rims will give you more width which is all I got when I put Desert Rats on my ute, but it improved the look so much. Powder coated gloss black with a big chrome can hub cap really sets it off. Well, as much as you can on a 30 year old ute with cracked paint :rolleyes:

Performance wise you might be happy with just a bigger exhaust and Weber conversion without spending huge $$$ and time on EJ swaps etc.
Not going with the 14s. I don't like the desert rat look on these. I'm happy with the 13s and the mud + snow tyres I'm currently running as they look tough, provide loads of grip and are quiet.

Performance wise I don't think an EA will ever satisfy my power lust. But I'm keen to keep the EA81. I'd love a set of Willy's extractors to really unleash the subi beat in this one. The current exhaust is a two inch cat back but the note isn't as "clean" as I'd like, but it's better than a factory exhaust or factory replacement...
henpecked wrote:Looks VERY good
Cheers mate!
Proton mouse wrote:Love that low down front on shot with the twin roofs popped up :-)
I agree. I should get that one printed up ;)
Tweety wrote:Nice pics.

Pacing yourself with expenditure has only come about with me in the last 5 years...and I'm 59yo. Up till then its been "gotta do it now " with sacrifices immediately.

Some expert I read once said its a sexual thing with young men. I dont doubt it. Cars, trikes etc could have satisfied me for a while when I was single a few times. Like women and makeup.

Only for a while. .....:cool:
Good to know Tony! You'll read below that quite a bit of work has been done. All up I think I've spent $95 on bits over a few weeks so it's not that expensive overall. I've had the bulk of the bits laying around until I could do the work.

So, an update: I managed to get close to Redback this week as M&D are still borrowing her. The only positive thing to come out of Mum's car being written off is that I got the after market cruise thrown my way.

After a day of stuffing around with some new connectors, wrapping wiring, making brackets and getting confused with a wiring issue I now have sorted the cruise control. I've used the AP60 kit, usually retails for between $230 and $250, about the same price as the "base" level speeding fine in Vic.

Here's a few pics of how things have been fitted; first up is the actuator mounting position and the cable fitment:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Speed sensor pickup - the mount took some time and stuffing around to get it right. I prefer to mount off the gearbox so the sensor moves with any drivetrain movement eliminating the sensor rubbing on the magnets:

And the all important control pad which is also mounted on a tin plate that's been shaped to fit as best I could behind the little coin tray/storage bucket thing in the dash on the right hand side:

Then I pulled this from the parts bomb the next day:

Cleaned that up, put a new set of boots on and fitted it to Redback. To get the rack in you need to typically drill out the four spot welds that hold the jacking plate to the engine crossmember:

The brake booster vacuum pick up gets in the way of the PS pump, so I relocated it to the other side of the manifold and extend the hose to fit. The bung from the other side is moved to plug this hole. I then had to shave it down to allow the pump to fit without rubbing on the bung or manifold:

And a longer thermostat housing needs to be fitted to clear the rear of the power steering pump:

Here's a dodgy pic of the power steering pump fitted in place - it's hidden pretty well by the air cleaner, the reservoir lid pokes up behind the air cleaner:

This mod transforms the feel of the Brumby - it makes the vehicle feel much lighter than it actually is and now I can throw the vehicle around much easier than previously. The exact same experience I had after fitting PS to Sunnie the Brumby.

Lastly, I checked out some seats from another vehicle to fit as I was pretty keen to swap the original seats out, even though they're not a bad example of MY seats. I came up with a bracket that adapts the Honda Integra (early 90's model I think) seats to the MY rails for a direct bolt in application. Pretty stoked and the seats are awesome, even though the ones I'm using are pretty worn out - I wanted to make sure they would fit and work before I really invested in this mod. Total cost for these seats to be fitted is $15 on 2m of two inch right angle steel. They fitted much better than I thought they would.

Pics to come on that mod - I want a better set of seats for the pics!

It's been a busy few days and an amazing change in some vital areas of a vehilce, you wouldn't think this is the same vehicle going by the feel of how it drives. I also took the time to track down a whistling sound that occurred since putting the bullbar on - turns out it's the mounts for the LED light bar...

Now I can't wait to drive it for some time!!!

Cheers

Bennie

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:04 am

Re: "But *I am having trouble containing myself as there's things "I just want done now" on it, but I guess we're all like that to a degree!"

You and I are in a similar position. Budgeting necessity means a time factor. Pacing ourselves when bills keep rolling in and of course you have the little mites needs too. Isnt easy.

My younger days saw me with less patience. I could not contain myself either. But age does relax you and you get used to the short, medium and long term goals and setting them.

Red Targa's long term life will be fine. Eventually your dreams will solidify.
Tweety is the same. I'd love to redo the windscreen with a different design, replace the sunroof so it works but we are riding around Oz winter 2016 so whats the chance?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:50 am

I had that cruise control system in my wagon and I could swear you took pictures of mine. I pretty much installed it in a identical fashion ;). Not in there anymore. It decided one morning that it was going to hold my car flat out in neutral :rolleyes:. Turned out to be the seals in the vacuum solenoid.

One sexy looking Brumby though. Nice to see red vs the common white or beige. Poor EA81, your carrying half a ton of steel on its nose :D.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Subydoug wrote:One sexy looking Brumby though. Nice to see red vs the common white or beige. Poor EA81, your carrying half a ton of steel on its nose :D.
Thanks mate. I wanted to track down a blue targa but got sick of waiting for one at the right price, this one popped up in the mean time close to me at a good price.

As for the weight of the bar, dad tells me that it's pretty light for what it is. We've got a steel bar like this one below, it's BLOODY HEAVY! He reckons it weighs less than this bar! Pretty happy with that.

I'll have to weigh the one we've got to get an idea of exactly how heavy it is! It's not fitted to a vehicle yet, but it's destined for Sheldon (L series).

This Wednesday I'm headed to the big smoke in Redback for some parts yards visits and a subi meet from another forum (details in the vic pages, no takers by the looks of it :(). I'm looking forward to spending some good time driving and enjoying Redback!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 27, 2015 8:54 pm

The pick a part sessi

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 27, 2015 9:03 pm

The pick a part session was good, I managed to score a six gauge dash - always the way, totally unexpected! Now to sort out the dashboard. I'll have to have one reskinned as both that I have are worse than a dried lake bed :/

Last weekend (23/24MAY) I was excited as mum's replaced her old car so I get Redback again - or so I thought! I got about 30km from m&d's and had to pull over for communications between the two vehicles. When I returned to Redback there was a massive pool of oil under her.

I flipped out a bit. Then investigated the issue. Seems that the crank seal had let go but it would "only leak" above a certain rev, but without a tacho I didn't know what this rev limit was.
I managed to limp it home to leave there until I can find a weekend to pull the engine and get an oxy torch to heat the crank pulley off. Not happy!

Then came back home in shepp again brumbyless :(

That's the update :/

Cheers

Bennie

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Thu May 28, 2015 1:29 am

Ahhh good score on the 6 guage cluster Bennie! What was the donor car? An illusive Touring wagon or a coupe/sedan Leonie?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:43 pm

Proton mouse wrote:Ahhh good score on the 6 guage cluster Bennie! What was the donor car? An illusive Touring wagon or a coupe/sedan Leonie?
I had to think about this one! It was a 4 door auto sedan. '82 model if I'm remembering correctly. Now that I think about it again I hope I photographed the VIN for future reference parts etc (Frog loves VINs for parts ID ;))

Engine will be out this weekend for oil sealing and sorting out that major leak. One big hurdle to get over is pulling the crank pulley off as it seems the previous owner used lock tight on the pulley to crank surfaces! I managed with great difficulty to remove the bolt but didn't get any further from that with the pulley itself :evil:

Heat may be involved! Rear main will be done too while everything is out. I'm hoping to take it home Sunday night so the scooter (aka "Full throttle") can remain in the shed with the frosty weather we've been having :(

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Have fun! I snapped the oil pump off in the block of my MY wagon tried to remove it due to leaking seals. Wished i had never touched it!
Motor is out and i chiseled out the broken pump. However after that decided spur of the moment to drop a spare ej22 in for now. Half way through that conversion!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:14 pm

All went well. Engine out Saturday morning, went to the "Shifting gear" innovation in Australian cars and design in Melbs. Resealed the oil pump before dinner.
Sunday saw the pump, front and rear main seals replaced and a new sump gasket made up then fitted.
I drove it home that evening and all went well, even with a black cow found in the middle of the road! Glad the MY brakes did an good enough job for that one!

Now wanting a "Willy's special" set of extractors :/

Pics later!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:45 pm

Pics as promised:

One way to do an oil change :p

Good timing to have Redback as the daily again! It was wet as this week gone! So glad to have a roof on my ride again!

And this is how it should be - when Sunnie the Brumby rocks up!

Very stoked!

Cheers

Bennie

preno

Post by preno » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:07 pm

i like your brumby. makes me want to get to work on mine in the shed.

Saw your ute at the lake view a month or so ago. saw the 5 poster first as i nearly bought that before you did!

Cheers,

Matt

Return to “El Freddo”