My Vortex Project

Show off your Subaru to other members. Tell us a bit about it. What mods you have done or have planned for the near future.
Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:22 am

Hey guys,

Just a quick update, I have received all the parts from Japan, when I get some time off I will take the trim to a 3D printer place so I can get a few extras made if anyone is interested :)

On the other news my Uncle and I are almost done putting the engine back together and we just need to know for the spark plug leads what the firing order is, because I will be able to have the car started up this weekend after 3 long years :)
I have looked in the repair manuals found on the forum and can't seem to find it (or I have been looking in the wrong spots :S )

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks guys and will post and update this weekend

Kind regards
Johnny T

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:25 am

Hey everyone, just a quick update,

I have the eninge block back together and having an issue with replacing the fuel pump, when I removed the old one and put in a bosh 910 pump it didnt fit (as I purchased thia pump awhile ago and the guy at the shop said it would fit)

I have been to a few autoshops and they found a Walbro pump from PAT or a External hp from Fuelmiser.

Does anyone know what will fit as I would like to have the car started as soon as possible.

Any help would be great, thanks everyone :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:40 am

what dont fit ? pump not fit in bracket or hoses dont fit? or electrical plug ?

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks for the reply Steptoe, the pipe to the tank didn't fit and the pipe to the fuel lines (connecting to the engine bay area) didn't fit aswell, what would be the best thing to do?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:43 pm

a universal efi pump with specs to match - don't buy or pay anyone for one unless they can provide hose connection types and sizes.

You need an external efi pump with 1/2" intake 8mm outlets. Check out Nardek in Sydney via a google search

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:04 am

Hey everyone, just an update :)

I have put the new Goss Fuel pump in the car and now I am getting fuel to the engine, after trying to start the car for 30 min (giving breaks in between), I had a small start but it shut itself of after 2 seconds, I tried again and it will not turn itself over. I noticed I have a crack in the thermostat housing and was leaking into one of the spark plugs, would that affect the engine starting?

Another thing that I have a question is that as the car has been sitting for over 3 year sitting how can I check my fuel injectors to see if they have working or if they need cleaning.

Any info would be great :)

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am

Have you drained the 3 year old fuel out out the system and put fresh 95 RON in the tank?

J.

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:54 am

Thanks for the reply Fuji, when i removed the pump all the fuel came out so i put a fresh 10L in it but only 91oct, before the car was running (years ago) it was running with 91oct in it, should I drain it and put 98oct in?

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:00 am

Its not critical if the fuel is premium, not for the purpose of getting it started anyway. If its the turbo engine you really will need 95 or better. I was more trying to steer you from putting in an ethanol blend fuel, and eliminating old stale fuel as the cause of it not starting and running.

As for the injectors, it would'nt hurt to have them cleaned, tested and new basket filters and hose fitted. You can do this yourself at home, but if you take them to a workshop that services petrol injectors they should have the facility to check spray pattern etc. Worth while if has never been done and the car has sat for so long.

J.

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:27 am

Pull your spark plugs out and see if one or more your cylinders have filled up with coolant, this would cause a hydraulic lock stopping the engine turning over.

I bought this a few weeks ago http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUBARU-VORTE ... 474wt_1358

In the description it had: THE ENGINE WILL START BUT IT WONT KEEP GOING (I THINK THE TIMING IS OUT)....

Turned out it had old fuel and fuel pump was blocked with what look liked charcoal from the charcoal canister.
I got it to fire up but only on the 2 right side (1&3) cylinders.
I checked all the wiring as per my 85 EA82 efi manual and all showed up ok. I swapped out the 2 injectors on that side and she now runs :-)

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:23 pm

Nice work Willy. I saw the that vortex on ebay for quite a while, good thats its finally gone to join your stable. Also proves the point about fuel system problems on cars left idle for so long, esp these EFI models.

J.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:19 pm

Quite an easy fix there Willy. I stand by EFI systems, a little bit of trouble shooting and 9 times out of 10 you've got the issue nailed.

Going from your other thread Johnny T, I didn't know your vortex was an auto! I just assumed it was a manual. AWD or 3 speed front wheel drive with selectable 4wd? Or just FWD only?

Also, do a full fuel system service. As Willy found out the E10 stuff is not nice to these engine's fuel system when left to sit over time. Pull all apart what you can and blow out the rest. Could be worth dropping the tank to clean out any crap in there too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:23 am

Nice buy Willy, great to see another Vortex saved. Do you know if that colour is original? I know it's been resprayed.
Canny

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:05 pm

Time for me to take off the dust in this thread,

I have some good news for the Vortex, I managed to find a set of Vortex XT6 front and rear breaks and hubs from Japan, but the only problem that I had is the air ride suspension / shocks was more than I could afford because I got out bidded.

Is there any aftermarket or systems I can use for this set up as I have heard that you cant use the XT4 shocks / air ride.

(Will be posting some new pics at the end of the month as the Vortex is getting towed to my new house)

Any help or advice would be great :)

I'll keep everyone posted as much as I can :)

Thanks again everyone

Johnny T

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Just a quick update

I picked up the new break system up on the weekend and they will be going on the car once I find shocks and springs that will fit, does anyone have any ideas on what I can use?

(also will post photos once I get a chance)

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into buying these rims for the Vortex (havent put the XT6 new brakes on it yet) but just wanted to know if these will fit the car without any issues:

http://http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15x6- ... SwIUNXFy9M

any help would be great

Thanks again

Regards
Johnny T

Bantum
General Member

Links ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:39 pm

Um ... linky not working, but if tis what I'm thinking - Are you going for a 5 stud wheel ? There's a good reference page on here too ... :cool: So from what I've understood, you got to make sure the wheel clears the brake callipers & swing arm / suspension components, along with suitable offset to stay within arches ... ;) Can't say much on the specific rim, as link did'nt show ... :(

Sorry suspension is not my area of expertise ... But if you want to fix the air suspension ( is it just leaking or bit more than that ? ) try & find the leaks ... ( Usually the plastic air lines are the culprit from what I've heard ) - If you're going to swap 'em out, I'd go for Standard L series suspension as a temporary measure until you can find replacement bits - anything more advanced I would do a search for conversions that others have done ... ;)

I hope that helps ... :D

Ciao, Bantum ...

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi everyone

I'll be putting on the new break hubs on in few weeks time and I also need a new set of wheels, (will be posting picture of the install)

I would like to know what Offset & Size I can use before I go to my local tire & rim shop.

Hope to get some feedback soon. Thanks again for everyone help :)

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:56 am

Hi guys

Just had a quick question on doing an engine swap as I am looking into getting a FA20 from a BRZ (complete with manual gear box, looms ecu and keys) for around $6,000.
I just wanted to know what’s involved and will the 4wd system still work as the engine will be from a rwd car or do I have to get an engine from a WRX?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm not sure about the engine to gearbox stud pattern is, it may be different to the EJ stud pattern thus an EJ AWD box may not fit.

There's more investigation needed on your end. I believe the FB engine is wider than the EJ - might not be an issue for the space required with the EA82... Whole wiring loom - is it a BUS system that needs to talk with the radio and other accessories? Does it come with the key fob for the security system to work?

Lots of things to check out to ensure you're not wasting 6G, but a cool drivetrain to have in the wedge that'd make it a unique and crazy setup!

I hope you go through with it and there aren't any hiccups that turn you away from the conversion!

Cheers

Bennie

PS - got any of those pics mentioned in above posts??
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “My Subi”