MY12 Forester In Car Navigation

How to get from A to B & devices used ...
Tigger

MY12 Forester In Car Navigation

Post by Tigger » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this has already been asked here but I currently have the Subaru issued Whereis Built-in Car Navigation system and personally I think it is sh*t!

We have tested it on two different occasions and both occasions it wanted us to go in a completely different direction to where we needed to go. Admittedly the first time there was a closed road and we were not in a built up area but it didn’t seem to re-route!! Very frustrating!! The second time was in Brisbane City – I would have thought that the maps would be quite accurate for the middle of the CBD but not on this occasion – I had to pull out my Samsung Galaxy S3 and use the Google Maps Navigator on that after the in-car navigator got us completely lost! I would have done that on the first occasion too if I had phone reception!

From what I understand – the cars navigation system is run from a Disc which contains all of the mapping information. I am yet to locate said Disc but I am thinking that it may be located under the passenger seat (if anyone can confirm this it would be greatly appreciated).

Basically my question is: Is it possible to remove the Whereis Disc and replace it with a Disc from another GPS Navigation provider? If the answer is yes, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :)
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:40 pm

I believe the disc is loaded into the normal cd player and an updated file is uploaded to the nav unit. With a bit of Google searching you may be able to find an updated version that doesnt cost the normal $300 fee
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi Tigger,

In the MY12 model, the Map DVD is kept in the head unit. I believe you can access the eject option from the set-up/calibration menu?

You will only be able to use Whereis navigation discs as far as I know. They are reasonably good, provided you have a recent version (should be able to check your version on the same set-up/calibration screen). I'm running v17, but I believe v18 is already out.

You can find the DVD ISO online, but keep in mind you need either a Whereis Subaru or Toyota Navigation system to get it to work...

Hope this helps!
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks for your replies :) I will have a look into what version I have installed and then have a bit of a look around to see if I can find an updated version ;) Thanks again!
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Return to “Navigation”