The Brumbyrunner Project

Moderator: brumbyrunner

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:11 am

vincentvega wrote:exciting stuff mate. you thinking of using a DCCD center with the 6 speed or another tight viscous coupling?

Scott's STI 6 speed is stock and its put up with heaps of abuse. What are your plans for the built box?
For starters I'll use the stock gearset which are all the same ratio up to 4th and then the 1.062 5th and 0.842 6th found in the earlier stuff. Front diff will be a Torsen, centre diff will be locked with a spool. I'm trying to track down a 4.44 crown wheel & pinion otherwise I'll have to go 3.9 and change the rear diff to match.

Is Scott's wagon still for sale?
Settlement Creek Racing

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:42 pm

I dont think it ever was for sale but everything is for sale at the right price ;)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Must be thinking of someone else....
Settlement Creek Racing

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:08 am

He did tell me he was going to sell it. It was a while ago now so I guess he isn't in a hurry to get rid of it.

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:27 am

Did you pull the old motor down yet and find out what it was that let go?

Bradenrm

Post by Bradenrm » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09 pm

**** I love this!

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:19 pm

I've got it pulled down to a long block to mock up the dry sump and new headers. The autopsy will have to wait until they're all done. Through the hole in the block though, it looks like No.4 conrod has let go...

General consensus among Suby gurus I've talked to is that the motor starved for oil after prolonged high RPM. It won't happen again. And on that note, the dry sump gear has left the US and is on it's way.
Settlement Creek Racing

seagull

Post by seagull » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:40 am

If your looking for a 6 speed I have code TY856WB1CA

1st 3.636
2nd 2.375
3rd 1.761
4th 1.346
5th 1.062
6th 0.842
Final drive 3.900
Viscous Center diff
Front diff A.P. Suretrac
comes with shifter & gear knob, 6 speed clutch & fly wheel, starter motor,clutch fork & Rear R160 diff, Tail shaft
Done 3000ks since imported, was in my liberty & if you want to know how little its been used ask Tom. I have a company car & its a garage queen. I am stripping the car and fitting a stock drive line.

$3500.00
my number 0407074141
Neil

seagull

Post by seagull » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:45 am

This will happen even with a dry sump as that's not the underlying issue.

To fix the issue you need a correctly oil phased crank, number 11 oil pump that has been correctly ported to stop cavitation & PRV set correctly.

Tony Knight from Knight Racing motors

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:17 am

seagull wrote:This will happen even with a dry sump as that's not the underlying issue.

To fix the issue you need a correctly oil phased crank, number 11 oil pump that has been correctly ported to stop cavitation & PRV set correctly.

Tony Knight from Knight Racing motors
Yeah your right about that.
Tony knows his stuff, of you have the time and money you should send it down to him.
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Settlement Creek Racing

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Well done Stuart

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:16 pm

The astonishing thing is this vehicle not only finished the race but finished in 43rd position out of 99 entries with vehicles like $200K+ Geiser Trophy Trucks and $100K+ Jimco buggies DNFing and not making it to the end.
I love that part :cool: Well done mate that's an amazing accomplishment, hope you convinced a few people of what a Subi is capable of ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:05 pm

I love the fact they're all so gob-smacked that a brumby finished the race!

Well done, you've gotta be pretty stoked with that!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Well done, you've gotta be pretty stoked with that!
Stoked enough that I really should update this thread. I feel a bit more motivated too after being contacted by Tony from Oregon and then reading his build thread here

Just shows what you can do on a tight budget and a conservative driving style.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:06 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Well done, you've gotta be pretty stoked with that!
Stoked enough that I really should update this thread. I feel a bit more motivated too after being contacted by Paul from Oregon and then reading his build thread here

Just shows what you can do on a tight budget and a conservative driving style.
Settlement Creek Racing

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:01 pm

^ And all I've done tonight is read up on this build. Very interesting.

Also note that a gen 3/4 outback built up by a US member was up for sale last feb... Didn't hear about that on the forums!

Still going on the reading, at page 24 of 34 :rolleyes:

Good find Brumbyrunner!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:43 pm

So if we rewind back to April last year, I'd put the front strut bulges into the bonnet so it could be lowered back down to it's original height, installed new rotary buckle harnesses due to the old ones being out of time and then presented the car for Bi-Annual scruiteneering in Alice Springs.

While we were there we entered a local club race, the Zaglass Memorial which is a day/night event, as a shake-down before Finke. This probably saved us from DNFing at Finke because the motor grenaded in the first couple of kms and we were in the market for a new engine. We got home and stripped the motor down to discover this

I had been planning for some time to get a built motor for the car but with only 8 weeks until Finke, I didn't think we had time to do it properly. My good mate Jeff (from *********) pulled some strings and found us a really good V6 STI import. It wasn't complete as we needed our old turbo, alternator, p/s pump, flywheel etc which was all still good from the old motor. We freighted it up to the NT, got it bolted in and running just in time to head back to Alice Springs for Finke.
It was running really rough until we swapped over the injectors from the old motor and we were good to go. Frog came through with new spark plugs, leads and coil.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:33 am

Finke 2012 was the the quietest one yet. No Backyard Boys, no family, no crew at all. We didn't even have anyone to drive the truck but my good mate Dan (with the Ranger a few pages back) had his truck going down to meet him at Finke, so we through our spares, tools and fuel in too.

Prologue was a pretty steady time of 6:06 which was 3rd in class and 50th outright from 84 starters.

Race day one saw us lose a lot of time stopping to deal with a myriad of problems. First a relay stopped the low pressure pump from working but we fixed that. Then we had our first ever tyre change when one of the MTRs went flat. And to top it all off we ran out of fuel and had to "borrow" a jerry can from a generous race fan on the side of the track. Don't even know who he is but we were very grateful. We finished day one 3rd in class and 40th outright in a time of 3hrs26min.

We had also torn a front inner CV boot so we changed that and re-gased the shocks and got ready for day 2.

We actually had a great run out of Finke and were making time on the competition when the gearbox let go about 40kms in. It looked like the front diff had tried to jump out of the case and was leaking oil badly. We decided to continue on slowly and just try to finish if the gearbox held up. The gear shifting was still okay and we still had all five but it was making a deafening grinding noise.

Strangely enough, the noise began to ease so we went a little faster, then faster again, and soon we were back to race pace albeit with only rear drive. Don't know how the gearbox held up with no oil and all that grinding, but it did, and that 20kg Viscous Centre did a superb job of directing enough drive to the back diff. We still did it in 3hrs30min and that was enough for 3rd in class and 35th outright.

You can see the small hole in the side of the case. It doesn't look much but that 'box is toast.
Settlement Creek Racing

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:59 am

So did you find out what 'let go' ? Both in the yea old engine & gear box above ?

Return to “Brumbyrunner”