The Brumbyrunner Project

Moderator: brumbyrunner

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:39 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:We prologued 3rd in class running on 2 cylinders. 50th out of 83 nominated. Changed injectors this afternoon and fixed the problem. All set for tomorrow now.
40th place by the results I just looked at.
http://finkedesertrace.com.au/2012-car- ... ompetitors
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:40 pm

INEEDABEER wrote:40th place by the results I just looked at.
http://finkedesertrace.com.au/2012-car- ... ompetitors
Made 10 places then,go hard.
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

AshR

Post by AshR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:03 pm

This is looking good for the crazy brumby :D

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:33 pm

I guess it's about time to revive this thread and continue on with the build. The anticipated ruin of Extreme 4WD (the old class 8 ) hasn't happened.
In fact, there are quite a few front-engined cars being built now that will certainly keep this class exciting into the future.

Last year I decided to step away from the gold Brumby for 12 months and help out a mate who was getting back into the drivers seat after a 20 year absence. He had been crewing for me for the last 10 years and, if you've followed this thread's build photos, owns the engineering workshop where a lot of the work was done. The wheel arches, tyre carrier and sump guard were all built there by him and I and that beautiful metallic paint was sprayed in his paint booth.

So early in 2010 he must have decided that I couldn't have all the fun and imported a Ford Ranger from the US. Image

It had done a few seasons over there and was basically ready to race.
It slotted straight into our Performance 2WD class (the old class 5) so with a fresh coat of Landcruiser Pewter we were off. Image

Like me, Dan runs his own business, employs a bunch of people and has a young family so it's difficult to find time to get away. We ended up getting to 3 races: Round 1 of the North QLD c'ship at Charters Towers, Finke and Gundy. Charters Towers was so wet and slippery that they cancelled half of it but we still won our class. We had a great run at Finke, only replacing a uni-joint at the overnight stop and then finishing 3rd in class.

Gundy was a cruel ending to the AORC with it being rained out and cancelled for the second year in a row. A long, long journey just to turn around and drive the 2,000kms home.

Here's a few more of the Ranger.

Much to everyone's surprise I had a ball being co-driver and would do it again. It's definitely a cheaper way to race and I encourage anyone who wants to get into the sport to give it a go. It's a great way to learn the ropes.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:35 pm

I guess it's about time to revive this thread and continue on with the build. The anticipated ruin of Extreme 4WD (the old class 8 ) hasn't happened. In fact, there are quite a few front-engined cars being built now that will certainly keep this class exciting into the future.

Last year I decided to step away from the gold Brumby for 12 months and help out a mate who was getting back into the drivers seat after a 20 year absence. He had been crewing for me for the last 10 years and, if you've followed this thread's build photos, owns the engineering workshop where a lot of the work was done. The wheel arches, tyre carrier and sump guard were all built there by him and I and that beautiful metallic paint was sprayed in his paint booth.

So early in 2010 he must have decided that I couldn't have all the fun and imported a Ford Ranger from the US. Image

It had done a few seasons over there and was basically ready to race.
It slotted straight into our Performance 2WD class (the old class 5) so with a fresh coat of Landcruiser Pewter we were off. Image

Like me, Dan runs his own business, employs a bunch of people and has a young family so it's difficult to find time to get away. We ended up getting to 3 races: Round 1 of the North QLD c'ship at Charters Towers, Finke and Gundy. Charters Towers was so wet and slippery that they cancelled half of it but we still won our class. We had a great run at Finke, only replacing a uni-joint at the overnight stop and then finishing 3rd in class.

Gundy was a cruel ending to the AORC with it being rained out and cancelled for the second year in a row. A long way to travel just to turn around and drive 2,000kms home.

Here's a few more of the Ranger.

Much to everyone's surprise I had a ball being co-driver and would do it again. It's definitely a cheaper way to race and I encourage anyone who wants to get into the sport to give it a go. It's a great way to learn the ropes.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:45 pm

Bradenrm wrote:Read whole thread. time for sleep. awesome work!

I'm as confused as a fat kid with a salad though, are you still allowed to run the brumby?
Yes. The only thing that's changed is that now you're permitted to mount the engine in the rear if you want to.
FROG wrote:If todays comedy of errors and bad luck comes to fruition then this thread will hopefully see a revival and I will sleep well tomorrow night :-)
LOL
El_Freddo wrote:Best of luck tomorrow! Looking forward to some pics!
pics are coming...
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:11 am

When the drivers side rear trailing arm broke at Finke in 2010 we sort of slid to a stop into some scrub as I tried to steer off the track. I managed to avoid all the big trees but the pass. door came to rest against a bush. Couldn't open the door but the panel damage was minimal.

Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:19 am

Autopsy reveals there's not a lot holding the bearing carrier onto the factory trailing arm.

If I was starting again, I'd machine up a new thicker housing from billet but for now I just want to repair and strengthen the existing arms so will reuse the factory ones. Spent some time lining everything up and welding it back together properly.

Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:39 am

Made some cardboard templates...

...and turned them into steel

Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:12 pm

A few years ago when I built the front strut towers, the remote canister hose just fouled on the bonnet. Because I wanted 10' travel struts with only a 2" body lift, I jacked the rear of the bonnet up with spacers until we got around to fixing it properly.

First step was to cut a hole in the bonnet big enough to allow it to close without the bonnet spacers.

CAMS rules that you must not have suspension protruding through body panels so I welded a dome shaped cover over the openings in the bonnet.

I didn't take any pics after the bonnet was painted but here we are in Alice Springs for bi-annual scruiteneering. Looks much better with the bonnet back where it's supposed to be.
We'd gone down for the Zaglass Memorial Short Course which is a night race so we'd fitted 50watt HID inserts to all four headlights as well as 70watt HID 5" spotlights to the bullbar.
Settlement Creek Racing

AshR

Post by AshR » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Woo the Brumby lives :)

Have loved reading this thread with all the ups and downs. Good luck with racing it again :)

alang

Post by alang » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:10 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:When the drivers side rear trailing arm broke at Finke in 2010 we sort of slid to a stop into some scrub as I tried to steer off the track. I managed to avoid all the big trees but the pass. door came to rest against a bush. Couldn't open the door but the panel damage was minimal.

only a small dint......... but i did notice the string line being used for the wheel alignment was it

revmax

Post by revmax » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 pm

LOL Love it !
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:22 pm

awesome to see some progress shots gain mate. im always impressed with what you can build in that shed of yours.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 am

AshR wrote:Woo the Brumby lives :)
Have loved reading this thread with all the ups and downs. Good luck with racing it again :)
Yep, it's definitely a work in progress. Thanks.
alang wrote:only a small dint......... but i did notice the string line being used for the wheel alignment was it
For wheel alignment and to keep everything square as I build the suspension or change bodywork.
vincentvega wrote:awesome to see some progress shots gain mate. im always impressed with what you can build in that shed of yours.
Awesome to be working on it again Dane, and there's some big improvements planned for the rest of the year.
Unfortunately that means we won't be ready for Gundy.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:53 am

Didn't have a real good start to the year when we went to Alice for the Zaglass Memorial race. We got about 3 minutes into Prologue when the motor blew. It actually kept running for a few minutes and made enough power to keep us limping towards the finish line and towards the pits. Didn't make it in though, so had to get towed the last half a km.
Popping the bonnet revealed a little problem with the block.

Settlement Creek Racing

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:16 am

What I was saying about the water cross over the other night won't work with the factory parts. The return/outlet hits on the bell housing. You will have to make it up if you want to change the direction of the water.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Outback bloke wrote:What I was saying about the water cross over the other night won't work with the factory parts. The return/outlet hits on the bell housing. You will have to make it up if you want to change the direction of the water.
You're right, I've tried it already. What about the EJ22 water manifold? Had a feeling they were different and had been used for this. Anybody got one they can test fit to a block for me?
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:54 am

After the motor destroyed itself in April we had to get a replacement sorted out so we could still do the Finke. Jeff from ********* tracked down a version 6 STI which was a direct bolt-in and we were good to go. No pics but it looks exactly the same anyhow.

Finke continued to be a great learning curve. We got our first ever flat tyre (for Finke), drove it so hard I ran out of fuel 10km from Apatula (also a first), tapped a Performance 2WD from behind because he wouldn't pull over (another first), and broke the 5 speed gearbox for the last time. Everything else worked really well, shocks didn't bottom out much, car ran really cool and rich, boost stayed under 15psi and even though the sumpguard smacked the ground a few times, it held up fine.

Suspension setup has improved to the point where the car is now fast enough that I don't think any built 5-speed will handle the shock loads so I'm getting a 6 speed built.

The other main problem is the approach angle. It's not an easy problem to rectify but to do it properly the exhaust crossover pipe and sump have got to go. We'll be installing a dry sump, custom exhaust manifold and new high clearance sump guard to raise the bar a couple more notches.
Settlement Creek Racing

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:49 pm

exciting stuff mate. you thinking of using a DCCD center with the 6 speed or another tight viscous coupling?

Scott's STI 6 speed is stock and its put up with heaps of abuse. What are your plans for the built box?
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Return to “Brumbyrunner”