Brumby Lift Kit first time - Part 2 (with photos)

EA71, EA81 & EA82 Brakes, Wheels & suspension components
ashleyn

Brumby Lift Kit first time - Part 2 (with photos)

Post by ashleyn » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:29 pm

So on to the front, same arrangement, jack under the engine crossmember, stands in place.
First undo the rod from the firewall to the engine (under the spare wheel).
Front struts proved a bit of a challenge the first time. Firstly, you are removing the suspension unit, not just the struts. That includes the spring, DO NOT attempt to separate them. Leave the top bolts (inside the engine bay) done up. Remove the clip that holds the brake line into the bracket on the inside of the unit. Grab the top of it with pliers and pull up, it just comes out. Now undo the hose from front caliper and pull it through the mount of the front strut. Temporarily re-attach so the fluid doesn’t leak. Undo the 2 bolts holding the strut body to the brake assembly. Now using special tool called “foot”, lean down on the brake assembly (wheel nuts) and the strut will slide out.

Now undo the top 2 nuts and the whole unit just comes out. Put the front strut top blocks on the front struts, arrows facing in. Make sure the front strut tops with blocks attached go back in the same way they came out (ie don’t spin the struts around 180 degrees). Re-attach the top bolts but you won’t be able to replace the suspension unit just yet.
Undo the steering rod connector (very important).
Now replace all the bolts in the castor rod brackets and front cross member with the lift kit bolts. That way you can lower the engine cross member and gearbox down to the length of the new bolts.
The cross member bolts are fitted to a bracket that has a screw holding it in. I had to drill out the screw to remove the bracket. Then take each bolt out one at a time and install the block and bolt. Repeat for the six gearbox (castor rod brake) block and the engine cross member.

Now fit the brackets, replace the strut using the special tool as before. Undo and redo the brake lines, then bleed the brakes.

Fit the steering extension between the steering column and steering rack, as you tighten the bolts, that should close up so you can fit the locking bolt.
Tighten all bolts to their torque settings, remove the stands and lower the vehicle, all done.
As for the rear, the front brake hoses need to be extended. My air cond compressor was now scraping on one of the hoses so that just needed some adjustment and the gear shift might need some tweaking.

Finished job, looking sweet.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 pm

ashleyn wrote: Image

Finished job, looking sweet.
Yes you are!

Jealous!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Cool, Your now ready to join us on the next trip:) and Well done, Your car looks great:)

Any more details on the Ryobi cordless you bought? model price etc? It the only thing i don't have...
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:20 pm

Looks good ashleyn. Good idea to post step by step for others to follow plus makes interesting reading lol.

Can i pass on a shortcut i was told about? Instead of disconnecting the brake line which then needs to be bled, use a hacksaw to carefully cut the top of the little tab that holds the brake line to the strut. Then bend it away & you can remove the line without disconnecting it. To replace, just bend the tab back & replace the retaining clip...done!

Thanks to Venom who showed me that...we can now remove both struts, remove the springs, reassemble & replace both struts in 45min :mrgreen:
(an unexpected bonus from lots of practice on my troublesome front struts!)
guyph_01 wrote:Cool, Your now ready to join us on the next trip:) and Well done, Your car looks great:)

Any more details on the Ryobi cordless you bought? model price etc? It the only thing i don't have...
+1. Curious bout the Ryobi rattle gun
El_Freddo wrote:Yes you are!

Jealous!

Cheers

Bennie
+1. those tyres look good too...can you give us a close up?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:47 am

Is that an EJ brumby?
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

ashleyn

Post by ashleyn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:11 am

I wish, standard EA81 with Webber.

Rattle gun is 18v Lithium battery. Model BIW180

Subarubrumbyfan1991

Post by Subarubrumbyfan1991 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 pm

in the photo's yours has the same green stripes as mine, i dont know too much about brumby editions, is this a special edition or just a addon?
My brumby :) 91 is amazing, first car and no doubt gonna be my last :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
future plans include 2" lift
14" rims
a/t's
respray
race seats
roll bar
decent spotties
LED lighting inside
Webber carby
extractors with 2 1/2" straight through exhaust
few more ideas but dont want to bore everyone lol

ashleyn

Post by ashleyn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Some of the experts might know, it has the quad headlights which seem a bit unusual.

ashleyn

Post by ashleyn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:44 pm

They were Khumo 27x8.5x14. Unfortuntely, the guards were going to need some serious mods to fit them even with the lift so I moved them on. I think they are running around Qld now. I'm currently running 195 14's.

sholinguteman

Post by sholinguteman » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:38 am

Bottom line... would you recommend this kit ? have you had it out on the road yet ? like to see a few more pics if possible and oh yes... Happy new year :-) "MO"

ashleyn

Post by ashleyn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:02 am

Yes indeed, been driving around for a few months now inc one trip to Bunbury (160km). The only extra thing to consider is extending the brake lines which I've done.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks mate, good write up (part 1&2), I'll be using this as a reference when I fit mine.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Are you able to put a picture of the instructions up please? I have a second hand kit without any instructions at all. Planning to put it in this weekend :)

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

ashleyn

Post by ashleyn » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:36 am

Brumby Kid wrote:Are you able to put a picture of the instructions up please? I have a second hand kit without any instructions at all. Planning to put it in this weekend :)

Cheers Cam
1. Place car on car stands.
2. Remove front wheels.
3. Undo engine bracket to firewall.
Okay, how do I do it?
Front
4. Undo front brake hoses from front callipers and pull them through the mount of the front strut. Temporarily re-attach. Use pliers to pull the clip upwards, that will free the hose from the bracket at the back of the strut.
5. Remove front struts. Leave the top 2 nuts done up. Undo the 2 at the bottom of the strut. Now the strut should be able to move upwards away from the wheel assembly. That’s enough for now.
6. I lay the lift kit out under the car so you know where everything goes.
7. Place jack under engine cross member and if you have two jacks, put one under the gearbox as well.
8. I then replace all the bolts in the castor rod brackets (3 each side) and front cross member with the lift kit bolts. Trick here as the cross member bolts are attached to a plate on the top of the chassis which in turn has one Phillips head screw holding it on to the chassis. You need to remove the screw, then the bracket can be removed (see picture). You may have to drill out the screw. On the passenger side, the air cond hose is in the way, remove the 10mm bolt that holds the bracket in place and prise the hosing aside to remove the bolt and fit the new one. That way you can lower the engine cross member and gearbox down to the length of the new bolts.
9. Undo the steering rod.
10. Now with all bolts replaced, lower the jack enough to create a 50mm gap at all the bolt points.
11. Put the front strut top blocks on the front struts, arrows facing in. Make sure the front strut tops with blocks attached go back in the same way they came out.
12. Reinstall front struts including brake hoses and bleed brakes.
13. Then take each bolt out one at a time and install the block and bolt. Repeat for the six gearbox (castor rod brake) block and the engine cross member.
14. Tighten all bolts.
15. Steering: for non-power steering use the steering extension provided between the steering column and steering rack.
16. Re-attach engine bracket to firewall.
17. Place front wheels back on and lower vehicle to the ground off the jack.
Rear
1. Place rear of car on car stands
2. Remove rear wheels
3. The same as front except put the jack under rear diff
4. Lay out lift kit blocks under the car
5. Replace the four bolts on the torsion bar and two on the moustache bar (rear diff mount)
6. Shock absorbers – undo the top of the shock absorbers, bolt the brackets provided to the top of the shock absorber and then to the shock absorber mount on the body.
7. Lower rear suspension to length of new bolts – as you did with the front of the car.
8. As per diagram, the driver’s side moustache bar blocks’ bolts are offset as the block fouls on the fuel tank. You may have to bend up the lip of the fuel tank to clear the block.
9. During installing the lift kit it may be easier to release the exhaust from its mounting points along the body to avoid fouling.
10. All bolts should be installed using anti-seize.
11. After all bolts have been tightened, reinstall exhaust mountings.
12. Place rear wheels back on the car and lower the vehicle off the jacks.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Re: Brumby Lift Kit first time - Part 2 (with photos)

Post by TOONGA » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:24 am

bumping for the google bot to find and help people find info on lift kits for brumbys

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:42 pm

Is that how it works Toonga?

Shame the pics don’t work - at least not on my phone

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:53 pm

sadly the images don't work for me either Bennie,

I will say they still work on the Ghost page

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Return to “EA Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tyres”