strut top question

TOONGA
Elder Member

strut top question

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:38 am

Im installing my lift kit on my brumby and have gotten to the struts, installed the tops of the kit the right way but obviously haven't got the strut tops the right way

why? because I followed the picture in the manual

and faced the strut top to the front for 4WD wagon and powersteering

while apparently it should go the way the hatchback sedan and hardtop are installed

my question is

WHY?

now I've got to pull the struts out take the kit off and spin the strut top around

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

tex

Post by tex » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:11 am

I think mine are currently the way you just described! OOPS...
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:47 pm

I took them out turned them around put the lift kit back on and it sits way better now

still wondering why they are that way on the brumby

half the lift kit is in whooo hooo anyone got a steering extension mine is too long :(

TOONGA

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:48 pm

I fitted my MY wagon with a 2" kit a while ago setting the strut tops up with the 4WD etc to the front as marked in your picture.
What was the difference when you turned them around, ie, hatchback etc to the front. was the camber better ?
Even with standard springs and wound right down the camber isnt real good on mine. I never thought to turn them around and see the difference.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:30 pm

with the strut tops turned to the wagon 4WD setting the wheels sat like this \ / with the strut tops turned around the wheels now sit more like this l l but still lean out at the top abit

I got a steering extension the standard power steering knuckle off an MY wagon went in no problems :)

TOONGA

camo85

strut top

Post by camo85 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:21 pm

so is the bigger gap between the strut top and the body of the car at the front side or back side of the strut top on brumbies save me undoin my struts to look at strut top cheers cam
[SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:08 pm

camo85 wrote:so is the bigger gap between the strut top and the body of the car at the front side or back side of the strut top on brumbies save me undoin my struts to look at strut top cheers cam
good Question

Im not sure is the only answer I can give you

when I took my struts out the side with the sedan and arrow were at the front

but I followed the instructions in the service manual when i put them back in the first time and they looked really bad

TOONGA

poprock1

strut position

Post by poprock1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Trawling through suspension postings I came across this old post. The only suggestion I can offer is that the lower control arms or their attachment point on the chassis is different for respective models. Early mazda 626's had a three position strut altering camber and castor, but these are two position with opposite results!:confused:

ashleyn

Is there an easy way to remove/replace the strut ?

Post by ashleyn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:48 pm

TOONGA wrote:good Question

Im not sure is the only answer I can give you

when I took my struts out the side with the sedan and arrow were at the front

but I followed the instructions in the service manual when i put them back in the first time and they looked really bad

TOONGA
I've been experimenting and end result is I have one strut top with sedan to the front and the camber is not bad and one the other way around and it is way worse. So I want to spin that one around but last time I removed the strut i had a hell of a time getting it back and end result was a screwed inner CV. I've read the Gregory's but can't follow the bit about removing the steering knuckle. Is there a trick to getting the strut back it ?

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 am

All really interesting stuff. Im just about to replace front struts on young fellows Brumby which has a 2" lift kit with king springs. The king springs are 1" longer under tension than standard Brumby springs which I figure give the body a 3" lift. Originally the 2" extension blocks on top of the struts where round the wrong way making the front camper look \ / and I turned them around the right way and there was a vast improvement but NOT 100% so I figure the kings springs "Maybe" the problem. The replacement strut with new shockers and standard Brumby springs will now go in, but I have seen the picture above of the strut mount direction as indicated also in the manual and was about to replace them as per picture ie Van/4wd/Power steer. Be interesting to see the direction of the current installed strut mounts on vehicle. Maybe if I have to turn the strut mounts round with the front as per sedan I may get a 100% wheel camber or just replacing with Standard springs . Also the inner drive shaft boots are continually busting maybe that 1" lift from king springs putting extra pressure on cv boots.

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:16 pm

I just replaced the King Springs on young blokes Brumby with standard springs (New shockers). when I took the strut out with the King springs and lay it beside the standard Brumby Strut they came up at the same length but those Kings springs are heavy duty stuff compared with the standard springs. I know that when the king springs where installed they came up 25mm longer when installed than the standards on my Brumby. Young bloke has a 2inch left kit as well as Kings and was forever replacing drive shafts due to inner boot collapsing and bearings coming out. I still working on replacing Ball Joints and then new Cv's and hoping that the Standard springs may fix his CV problems.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”