The Brumbyrunner Project

Moderator: brumbyrunner

riksta

Post by riksta » Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 pm

what I see in the second pic, (apart from the suspension travel) is how stiff that rollcage has made the Brumby, one stand on one side only. I take it that is no flex at all in the rear?

You have a great job on the whole car and it has been great to see how the car has come from were it was to were it is now, Great job Stuart.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

2coupedup

Post by 2coupedup » Fri May 07, 2010 9:32 am

mmmmmmm 14inches... (never ever thought i would hear myself say that lol)
I LIKE THEM PRETTY YET TOUGH...LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun May 23, 2010 9:01 pm

riksta wrote:what I see in the second pic, (apart from the suspension travel) is how stiff that rollcage has made the Brumby, one stand on one side only. I take it that is no flex at all in the rear?

You have a great job on the whole car and it has been great to see how the car has come from were it was to were it is now, Great job Stuart.

Rik.
Thanks Riksta. The whole car is very rigid to stop it from breaking up. The front needs more work but yes, the rear is pretty good.

I had a few hours to work on the car this arvo but I'm running out of time to get many more improvements done as I'd like before Finke. The new dash and re-wiring job was pretty massive and took up most of our "car time" during the wet season, but it's a good job done and we learnt a lot. If you can remember the spare tyre rack, it was a big solid heavy thing that I built strong to withstand a rear shunt without tearing out of the car. I don't think I've weakened it at all but I've managed to carve a full 1.5kg of steel out of the thing. I'll try to get some pics. Got to love a good quality holesaw (if you don't have a plasma cutter).

More exciting news-: I've been talking to a buggy manufacturer about either modifying the Brumby or starting again with a full tube frame. Either way we'll be widening the track by over a foot each side to get some serious buggy style wheel travel. At the moment we've only got about a 52" track and we need to be aiming for a minimum of 82". I just don't have the time to do it properly anymore, as much as I'd like to, so paying a professional will get it done faster.
Settlement Creek Racing

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Mon May 24, 2010 3:00 am

Wow Stuart, it sounds like your gunning to have the "Deadliest Brumby" in both hemispheres!
:cool:
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon May 24, 2010 10:10 am

brumbyrunner wrote: More exciting news-: I've been talking to a buggy manufacturer about either modifying the Brumby or starting again with a full tube frame. Either way we'll be widening the track by over a foot each side to get some serious buggy style wheel travel. At the moment we've only got about a 52" track and we need to be aiming for a minimum of 82". I just don't have the time to do it properly anymore, as much as I'd like to, so paying a professional will get it done faster.
WOW! sounds exciting!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu May 27, 2010 11:11 pm

The side trim is on. Just the serious stuff to do now.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu May 27, 2010 11:15 pm

Spare tyre rack on a diet.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:20 pm

Heading off for Finke tomorrow so I thought I'd share a few pics.

We beefed up the radius rod and lower control arm by welding them together and adding a triangle gusset. I've been worried about the 2 bolts failing as they kept working loose.
Settlement Creek Racing

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:29 pm

I wanted to stop the gearbox from jumping around as I think the movement might have contributed to our gearbox problems at Gundy. This is the new bush made from an L series trailing arm bush just like the engine mounts.

For the gearbox side I used the pressed factory mount with the rubber cleaned off.

Then I built the bush into a new gearbox cross-member.
Settlement Creek Racing

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:19 am

See ya in a few days Mate. It is friggen cold here now, I hate to think what it is going to be like out there.

riksta

Post by riksta » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 am

looking good mate, I hope all your good work gets you to the finish line farster and keeps the car on the track.

Go Hard, Go Subaru, Go the Brumby, Go Brumbyrunner.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:13 am

good luck mate! i hope you have a great run this year. Sorry I wont be there but i will be keeping a close eye on the race. expect a few phone calls brett..

very nice work on the gearbox crossmember!
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:27 am

Best of luck this season Stuart...I have gone thru your build thread several times from start to finish, why I dont have one of my own yet is beyond me
Man..over 71,600 views
Hows it feel to be an off road rock star!:cool:
Cheers, Mark

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:47 pm

good luck guys!!! hope all this hard work pays off and you blitz you class!!!!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:47 pm

Hope it gos well mate, and you make down to Finke and Back in one piece in awesome time!
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 am

As Brett posted in the Finke thread after this years race, we had a trailing arm failure at the 65km mark but the fatigue cracks might have been there for a while getting gradually worse. I was getting some strange measurements doing the rear wheel alignment before Finke, with the toe changing on the passenger side after a test run but then it settled down and didn't change any further. We checked the trailing arm and the mounts but couldn't find anything wrong. I probably spent more time inspecting the fab work I'd done, rather than expecting factory bits to break, but break they did. The drivers side let go first but the pass. side wouldn't have been far behind it.

These pics shows where the drivers side was repaired so we could drive the car off the track and onto the truck.
Settlement Creek Racing

tex

Post by tex » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:12 pm

You do it hard! nice to see the cross bred kit held up to the endurance testing, what did you end up with in relation to rear suspension?
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Its good to see you back Stuart :)

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 am

tex wrote:You do it hard! nice to see the cross bred kit held up to the endurance testing, what did you end up with in relation to rear suspension?
Crossbred parts are handling the job fine.
What do you want to know about the rear suspension?

Passenger side trailing arm. You can see where the crack starts, runs around the bearing carrier...

...and on top there are multiple cracks.
Settlement Creek Racing

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Any news or future plans Stuart, I've been watchin the Dakar
and been missing my hit on this thread ;-)

Cheers Andy
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Return to “Brumbyrunner”