Exhaust mainfold compatibility

Everything Engine, Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts for the EJ series models - NA & Boosted
Ergslider

Exhaust mainfold compatibility

Post by Ergslider » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:23 am

Hi

I was wondering if the passenger side exhaust manifold from a 92 Liberty EJ22 is the same as a 2001 Liberty EJ25.

Was hoping the block is externally the same with the difference being the displacement.

Are these manifolds interchangeable?

thx

Erg

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Exhaust mainfold compatibility

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:26 am

Hey EGR, your correct I your assumption - exhaust ports are the same spacing etc and the exhaust manifolds will interchange between all EJ engines regardless of what phase they are ;)

What are you looking at doing?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Ergslider

Post by Ergslider » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:41 am

Thx El_Freddo that news has made my day.

I had a 92 Lib sedan that blew a head gasket a year or two ago so I gave it to the auto kids at the school I work at to play with.

Daily drive 2001 Lib wagon had a slight exhaust hole since I purchased it. Figured it was something simple and it wasn't bad so didn't bother with it.

Long story short it went from basically nothing to sounding like it was coming straight out of the port in the course of 50kms.

Mega cracked exhaust manifold. WAYYY more than a tube of Maniseal or welding can handle.

Engine is out of the 92 EJ22 and the manifold is off. Im gonna grab that manifold and chuck it on the 2001 EJ25.

Thank mate

Erg.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:56 am

Ohh ok, you’ll find that the EJ22 Y pipe is a different shape to your 2001 liberty’s. You’ll have to work out how to join the ‘22’s Y pipe to the ‘25’s mid pipe section. I can’t remember if the Y Poe will need to be shortened a tad or if you need a small spacer piece to make the two marry up.

From memory your 2001 liberty will only have one O2 sensor so this will workout well for you. Your exhaust should also make more of the classic Subi beat too ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “EJ Drivetrain”