Fuel consumption WRX 2013

Everything Engine, Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts for the EJ series models - NA & Boosted
Subby_2000

Fuel consumption WRX 2013

Post by Subby_2000 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:49 pm

Hi guys,

Apologies in advance for the long winded post.

I have posted in a different forum but figured it never hurts to garner a few different opinions and hope that someone had a similar issue and found a solution.

Full tank 98 premium fuel and at 270km the warning light was coming up.

Fuelled up and only took 44 litres to fill. Basically 280km 44 litres of fuel. Rough calculation about 15-16 litres per 100 km. Head unit displayed 13.4 litre per 100 km.
Not sure if this is common. When the warning light was displayed on my previous car, I would have to fill within 10-15km otherwise i would run out of fuel. It did happen once :(.

I obviously didn’t buy this car for its fuel economy but is this normal?

Stock standard, and have probably only given it a hit once since I fuelled up. Mainly city driving.

I followed some advice and removed the AFM and used mass air flow cleaner. I re installed and it was quite erratic to begin with. The display was indicating 22 litres per 100km. I drove conservatively for about 20-30km. It has now settled to 12 litres. I understand the figures on the display are not going to be 100% accurate.

I haven’t seen it below 13.4 since I have owned the car, about a month.

In your opinion does this indicate the AFM was/is faulty? Is there a chance it will settle further to where it should be, which from I have read is around the 10-10.5 mark, as 13 is still a little high?

Have only just serviced the car, hoping I don’t have to spend more.

Thoughts, similar experiences?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Fuel consumption WRX 2013

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:21 pm

G’day mate,

I’d check for any stored codes. I’m not sure if Subaru still doesn’t the black and green self diagnostic plugs under the dash like they do in the earlier models. Codes are flashed via the check engine light.

Is this an auto or a manual? You should give it a squirt every now and then rather than babying it. Does it boost up and move like you expect it to?

My only real thoughts are a dodgy oxy sensor in the exhaust or two - I don’t know how many are in there, probably two minimum!

The other is the spark plugs - when was the last time they were checked or replaced?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subby_2000

Re: Fuel consumption WRX 2013

Post by Subby_2000 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi Bennie,

To be honest I was expecting a little better as far as performance. Probably not performing as it should. I will call Subaru tomorrow and ask whether the plus were changed 2 services ago. I have the receipt for the last Subaru service and the spark plugs were not replaced.

No idea about the diagnostic plugs but i will find out.

It’s manual and very much looking forward to giving it a squirt or 2!

Thanks for your help.

Return to “EJ Drivetrain”