Timing belt replacement kit preference?

Everything Engine, Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts for the EJ series models - NA & Boosted
subanator

Timing belt replacement kit preference?

Post by subanator » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:41 pm

My question is to which kit you have bought and why?
I am looking to do the timing belt myself on my SG Forester.
The local shop quoted me Dayco with water pump $650. (heaps cheaper online)

I am not sure which water pump yet, 2x outlet etc, thermostat bottom or side?? Will have to get and have a look.

My concerns are around info found online about Chinese bearings in Gates kits. Gates or Dayco or other recommendations?

The other concern is the auto adjuster gap clearance (the cause of so many failures when replacing the belt). The Gates kit has this tool. I dont know if Dayco have one? What is the gap measurement?
'03 Forester X, stock standard for now.

'89 EA82T Touring Wagon, 5-speed D/R, 14" alloy wheels, bullbar. (Past ride)

'81 MY wagon, 3" lift, 5-speed D/R, Weber, 14x27" tyres. (Past ride)

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Water pumps are always fun. Take your time and get the right one.

As for belts, I've personally never seen a failure of the belt or bearing: Where they have been changed on time!

So my mate at a parts shop has seen both of those brands you mention fail..... I've used both with no trouble.

The dayco's usually come with a plastic guide that you slide between the belt and the guides to check for clearance. I suspect more clearance is better than not enough, because the belt should never need those guides anyway.

Do all the idlers and pulleys, and replace the HAT, (hydraulic tensioner). No point trying to save a few bucks doing the job, only for another item to fail with the same result ie. bent valves.

Is it the twin cam or quad cam? If it's the quad, best to have a mate help, especially when throwing the new belt on. The passenger cam gears have a mind of their own!

Return to “EJ Drivetrain”