EJ Dual Range AWD 1.19:1 Lo range upgrade to 1.59 {56k warning}

Everything Engine, Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts for the EJ series models - NA & Boosted
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:38 pm

wagonist wrote:Anyone disagree?
Nope, I reckon you got it smack on. The issue must be with one of the bearings on the layshafts that the driving gears are mounted to.

What speed/speeds does this noise appear?

There are needle bearings but they're on the other part of the low range setup:

(left one is the L series unit) This is the other gear that completes the low range system, the shaft it's on has the needle bearings but these wouldn't be under load in high range, thus wouldn't be making any noise.

I'd be looking at other bearings or other things on your subi to solve what it is.

If you can give us more information about speeds/engine loads when the noise occurs that would be helpful too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

fårwildrajv

Post by fårwildrajv » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:53 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Nope, I reckon you got it smack on. The issue must be with one of the bearings on the layshafts that the driving gears are mounted to.

What speed/speeds does this noise appear?

There are needle bearings but they're on the other part of the low range setup:

(left one is the L series unit) This is the other gear that completes the low range system, the shaft it's on has the needle bearings but these wouldn't be under load in high range, thus wouldn't be making any noise.

I'd be looking at other bearings or other things on your subi to solve what it is.

If you can give us more information about speeds/engine loads when the noise occurs that would be helpful too.

Cheers

Bennie
Oh, i will do my best to wright.
So if i get this right, in HI gear the input shaft is one unit. And in LOW gear it split the shaft and the power goes out to this little axle on the side?

The noise is from neutral and most when you have loads at drive train.
If i stand in neutral and releases the clutch you can here the sound change and the when press down clutch it stops.
(bearings in clutch is new)
If i do the same in LOW, the sound don't change.

I thought that it was like in LOW the input shaft was one piece and in HI it split and it was like a over gear on all gears.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:07 pm

fårwildrajv wrote:So if i get this right, in HI gear the input shaft is one unit. And in LOW gear it split the shaft and the power goes out to this little axle on the side?
Correct.
fårwildrajv wrote:The noise is from neutral and most when you have loads at drive train.
If i stand in neutral and releases the clutch you can here the sound change and the when press down clutch it stops.
(bearings in clutch is new)
This to me would point to a faulty throw out bearing, even if it's new. Was the unit new (and a good brand?) or second hand (used?)
fårwildrajv wrote:If i do the same in LOW, the sound don't change.
This leads me off the throw out bearing as the cause... I've got no idea what could be doing this.

Cheers

Bennie

fårwildrajv

Post by fårwildrajv » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:51 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
This leads me off the throw out bearing as the cause... I've got no idea what could be doing this.

Cheers

Bennie
No it is strange that the noise only is there at HI.
Well i see what to do at this. Im looking for a used gearbox and replace.

Thanks and have fun with subaru :p

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:27 am

fårwildrajv wrote:No it is strange that the noise only is there at HI.
Well i see what to do at this. Im looking for a used gearbox and replace.

Thanks and have fun with subaru :p
Have you resolved the issue you're having? Does the noise appear any gear or specific speed?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Faraim9117

Post by Faraim9117 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:05 am

Hey Guys,

First post here, and wanted first to thank you for the great forum and write up on this conversion.

I have a question if anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having a problem finding the right bearing for the input shaft. When I do a search on63/28/25CC3, the bearing dimension don't seem to be right. It looks to me (i might be wrong) that i need 68mm od by 25mm id by 17mm bearing. Can anyone point me to the right direction on where I can order one? I know some people make sleeves, but I would prefer to buy a new bearing.

Thanks for the help.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 am

Faraim9117 wrote:Hey Guys,

First post here, and wanted first to thank you for the great forum and write up on this conversion.

I have a question if anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having a problem finding the right bearing for the input shaft. When I do a search on63/28/25CC3, the bearing dimension don't seem to be right. It looks to me (i might be wrong) that i need 68mm od by 25mm id by 17mm bearing. Can anyone point me to the right direction on where I can order one? I know some people make sleeves, but I would prefer to buy a new bearing.

Thanks for the help.
G'day

Welcome to AuSubaru!

Regarding to the bearing you are better off going to CBC, SKF, Rolling Bearings or Statewide Bearings whatever is in your area and tell them what you need, finding bearings on the net is 85% success to find correct bearing. I know which bearing you're talking about and you do not need sleeve at all (Im against sleeves in motors and gearboxes etc because they'll spin out and wear out in the future and best way is to go next size up if possible)

Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

Faraim9117

Post by Faraim9117 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 am

Thanks for the quick response! I have called (and gone) to 4 different bearing places in town (that's about all of them for New Mexico) and they all tell me that this bearing is a hybrid bearing and that they will not have it but to try the dealership. I started emailing some of the names you mentioned in australia, maybe I'll have luck with them sending one over to the US. I might just throw in my new used autralian dual range tranny I got shipped over just to see what it does, and maybe wait on the 1.59 conversion. Again thanks for all the help.

Gilles

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 am

Faraim9117 wrote:Thanks for the quick response! I have called (and gone) to 4 different bearing places in town (that's about all of them for New Mexico) and they all tell me that this bearing is a hybrid bearing and that they will not have it but to try the dealership. I started emailing some of the names you mentioned in australia, maybe I'll have luck with them sending one over to the US. I might just throw in my new used autralian dual range tranny I got shipped over just to see what it does, and maybe wait on the 1.59 conversion. Again thanks for all the help.

Gilles
G'day,
Ah... Can you tell me if its single row bearing or its roller caged bearing? That way I can contact my supplier to confirm and see if i can get the correct part number.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

Faraim9117

Post by Faraim9117 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Single row bearing (they look the same as the one you posted on page 2). I'm new to transmission and bearing world so I could be wrong. I'm more or less following your post step by step and all the parts look identical. Thanks for helping me with my quest of low gears.

Faraim9117

Post by Faraim9117 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Just wanted to update you guys, I ended up getting a sleeve made from a friend with a machine shop for the input shaft. Not what I wanted to do but I couldn't find that bearing. My d/r transmission is from a 2003 foreseter, perhaps the bearing is a different diameter? Anyway, I should have the transmission back in this weekend if the new clutch and flywheel come in before then. Very excited to see what the new low gears can do (i never tried the stock 1.19 but it didn't seem low enough anyway). Happy new years!

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Faraim9117 wrote:Just wanted to update you guys, I ended up getting a sleeve made from a friend with a machine shop for the input shaft. Not what I wanted to do but I couldn't find that bearing. My d/r transmission is from a 2003 foreseter, perhaps the bearing is a different diameter? Anyway, I should have the transmission back in this weekend if the new clutch and flywheel come in before then. Very excited to see what the new low gears can do (i never tried the stock 1.19 but it didn't seem low enough anyway). Happy new years!
Fair enough - I was talking to other guys (incl Bennie) and i remembered now is that i placed an sleeve/washer in.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

Faraim9117

It worked!!

Post by Faraim9117 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:09 am

Just finished putting in the new tranny with the 1.59 conversion. I'm not going to lie, I doubted myself for a while, this is the most technical build I have ever done but it worked! Just wanted to thank Alpine Raven for the great write up. This is the forum that initially motivated me to buy a d/r transmission.

I wanted to also post a great site that has a lot of information for this conversion as well.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/outbacklowrange_part1.html

Gilles

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Faraim9117 wrote:Just finished putting in the new tranny with the 1.59 conversion. I'm not going to lie, I doubted myself for a while, this is the most technical build I have ever done but it worked! Just wanted to thank Alpine Raven for the great write up. This is the forum that initially motivated me to buy a d/r transmission.

I wanted to also post a great site that has a lot of information for this conversion as well.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/outbacklowrange_part1.html

Gilles
Its a pleasure mate, happy to help anyone.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

Faraim9117

help needed again!

Post by Faraim9117 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:38 am

I'm looking for the cable to shift the transmission in to lo and hi. The one I bought had the cable cut... I would also need the mounting bracket on the transmission and the interior lever. Any ideas where I could find these items? I'm not having any luck online.

Thanks,

Gilles

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 am

Faraim9117 wrote:I'm looking for the cable to shift the transmission in to lo and hi. The one I bought had the cable cut... I would also need the mounting bracket on the transmission and the interior lever. Any ideas where I could find these items? I'm not having any luck online.

Thanks,

Gilles
What came in my mind first thing was L series shifter - it is different as I was searching one for Gen 2 Liberty and I ended up getting Gen 1 Liberty's shifter with Gen 2 centre console and lever plastic part. I did that on Gen 2 sedan conversion from single range to dual range AWD a few years ago.
If worst to worst that you dont have one there - let me know and Ill grab one from the wreckers and send it to you.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

Faraim9117

Post by Faraim9117 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:16 pm

I bought a shifter from an 89 loyale, and after working on it all weekend, I couldn't seem to get it to work correctly. It seems that no matter how I set it up, the two shifter interfere with one another. Any tricks? First I tried using the EA shifter but couldn't make it fit without cutting the floor. So then I decided to cut it up and only used the 4wd lever, and modified the orignal 2000 outback shifter by shortening the two links that go to the transission and extending the rear accomodate the the 4wd shifter, but that doesn't seem to work. Is using the whole ea shifter the way to go and just cutting out the floor to make it fit the better option? Thanks for offering to get a shifter from the junkyard, but hearing you say you were able to make it work is encouraging me to keep trying!

On to another question, and this maybe ridiculous. Is it possible to take out the awd rear section of the EJ transmission and use the selectable 4wd from an EA? I found a donor box to get the rear 4wd gears and lower transmission shaft that has the pinion gear on it (I don't know what that shaft is called!) but the pinion gear is 3.9 and I have a 4.11. Is the ring gear the only difference between the 3.9 and 4.11 or the pinion gear is different too?

Thanks!

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Faraim9117 wrote:I bought a shifter from an 89 loyale, and after working on it all weekend, I couldn't seem to get it to work correctly. It seems that no matter how I set it up, the two shifter interfere with one another. Any tricks? First I tried using the EA shifter but couldn't make it fit without cutting the floor. So then I decided to cut it up and only used the 4wd lever, and modified the orignal 2000 outback shifter by shortening the two links that go to the transission and extending the rear accomodate the the 4wd shifter, but that doesn't seem to work. Is using the whole ea shifter the way to go and just cutting out the floor to make it fit the better option? Thanks for offering to get a shifter from the junkyard, but hearing you say you were able to make it work is encouraging me to keep trying!

On to another question, and this maybe ridiculous. Is it possible to take out the awd rear section of the EJ transmission and use the selectable 4wd from an EA? I found a donor box to get the rear 4wd gears and lower transmission shaft that has the pinion gear on it (I don't know what that shaft is called!) but the pinion gear is 3.9 and I have a 4.11. Is the ring gear the only difference between the 3.9 and 4.11 or the pinion gear is different too?

Thanks!

I know that EJ shifter is through the rubber grommet where the gear shifter is on the right side. Its mounted by 3 bolts next to the handbrake lever. AWD shifter only uses two position whereabouts L series uses 3. I did try using L Series shifter and didnt work - and didnt bother mucking around as I found another one from AWD and was 2 hours drive that time.

EA's shaft is different to EJ shaft and wont work. The pinion gear will have different angles for 3.9/4.1 you will have to get matching ratios otherwise itll mismatch. You can find 3.7/3.9/4.11/4.44 pinion & crown shaft to install from other subarus
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:EA's shaft is different to EJ shaft and wont work. The pinion gear will have different angles for 3.9/4.1 you will have to get matching ratios otherwise itll mismatch. You can find 3.7/3.9/4.11/4.44 pinion & crown shaft to install from other subarus
And the pinion shaft is different between the EJ and EA gearboxes - you'll need to take the pinion shaft that matches the rear casing. In the EA's case, if you want the PT 4wd selectable rear section from the EA casing you need to take the rest of the gearbox with it as the lower gearsets are pressed onto the pinion shaft from what I've seen and read.
If it was a FT4wd EA gearbox you can swap the pinion shafts and centre diffs - but again they come as a matching set (EA pinion with EA centre diff etc). If you're swapping EJ stuff it's all plug and play.
The EA diff ratio came from the factory as 3.7 and 3.9 only. The EJs came in 3.7 upto the 4.44 ratio...

I wouldn't bother swapping to PT4wd just to make some linkages work - you'll have to come up with new gearbox mounts and a new tail shaft too.

AP - I'm chasing the dual range AWD gear selector rubber boot and metal surround, the high/low lever and the matching console pieces from a Gen2 in the dark grey/black colour for a US member. I've done the rounds at Centre Road and Kilsyth but nothing's turned up at the moment :(

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:00 pm

El_Freddo wrote:And the pinion shaft is different between the EJ and EA gearboxes - you'll need to take the pinion shaft that matches the rear casing. In the EA's case, if you want the PT 4wd selectable rear section from the EA casing you need to take the rest of the gearbox with it as the lower gearsets are pressed onto the pinion shaft from what I've seen and read.
If it was a FT4wd EA gearbox you can swap the pinion shafts and centre diffs - but again they come as a matching set (EA pinion with EA centre diff etc). If you're swapping EJ stuff it's all plug and play.
The EA diff ratio came from the factory as 3.7 and 3.9 only. The EJs came in 3.7 upto the 4.44 ratio...

I wouldn't bother swapping to PT4wd just to make some linkages work - you'll have to come up with new gearbox mounts and a new tail shaft too.

AP - I'm chasing the dual range AWD gear selector rubber boot and metal surround, the high/low lever and the matching console pieces from a Gen2 in the dark grey/black colour for a US member. I've done the rounds at Centre Road and Kilsyth but nothing's turned up at the moment :(

Cheers

Bennie

Theres Gen 3 Liberty (2000) with Dual Range in Ringwood Jollys pick a part...

Its pretty quiet at the moment for dual range liberty at the wreckers that I go to. - Havent checked Pick a Part yet.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

Return to “EJ Drivetrain”