97 Outback ej25 - head gasket?

Everything Engine, Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts for the EJ series models - NA & Boosted
El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: 97 Outback ej25 - head gasket?

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:10 am

Heads will bolt on. Need to ensure the pistons don’t protrude above the deck at TDC.

Everything from the heads up will bolt on from the EJ25D and work as they should.

Also ask the question on the USMB as they’ll know - it seems that these sorts of swaps are far more common over there than they are in Oz.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

91Brumby

Post by 91Brumby » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:25 am

Time for yet another dumb question......

Are the EJ25D heads compatible with a next generation vehicle (e.g. 97-2002 Outback or similar)?

I understand I should be able to use a newer block with my heads in the 97 outback, but what about putting my heads on a newer model outback?

...should have stuck with Fords :P

Thanks

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:12 pm

Simple answer is NO. The engines in those models moved to the phase 2 designs. You’d need to swap the intake to the EJ25D and that also requires an entire wiring loom swap, not worth it.

Sticking with Fords?! Where’s the fun in that??

Cheers

Bennie

91Brumby

Post by 91Brumby » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:04 pm

El_Freddo wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:12 pm
Simple answer is NO. The engines in those models moved to the phase 2 designs. You’d need to swap the intake to the EJ25D and that also requires an entire wiring loom swap, not worth it.

Sticking with Fords?! Where’s the fun in that??

Cheers

Bennie
Boo... ah well, at least now I know.

Yup... definitely sticking with Fords and pre EFI Subarus. Better the devils you know and all that.... :twisted:

Thanks

91Brumby

Post by 91Brumby » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:03 pm

Is $400 a reasonable price from a wrecker for an EJ251 block?
Been searching for one for ages (without resorting to a wrecker) with no luck. $400 seems kinda steep....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:02 pm

Long block or short block (without heads)? And I’m guessing they pull it and provide a warranty of some sort?

If it comes with a warranty it’s probably a good deal, more so if you just collect what you’re buying and don’t have the hassle of pulling it out yourself.

If it’s a short block and you’re wanting a long block (with heads) it’s obviously not a good deal.

Make sure they’re good on the warranty if it’s you fitting it to your car. Last thing you want is for them to turn around and say there’s no warranty because you DIY’d it and warranty isn’t covered in these instances.

Buying from a pick it yourself type parts yards is usually a bigger gamble but the price reflects this. Find out if that mob have tested the engine before providing it to you in whatever form it comes in. And how many km on it?

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “EJ Drivetrain”