Does my Brumby look big in this?

All things Body and Exterior related
Bosco15

Does my Brumby look big in this?

Post by Bosco15 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:58 pm

I suspect that Rats Nest Brumby may have been rear ended at some stage or something similar prompted previous owner to modify the rear end.
The edge of the tray, where the tailgate hinges bolt up, has been cut away and a large heavy square tube has been put in place. The tube is flanged and bolts into chassis rails, along with tow bar. It is a neat job, but I am unsure how it will be looked upon when I try to get a blue slip.
I have added two angles to the top to facilitate tailgate hinge fitment. The tailgate, which came with but was not fitted to Rats Nest, now works as it should.
With a view to making rear end look roadworthy, I have sourced a rear bar from Isuzu D Max. With a little modification it should fit nicely and hopefully pass blue slip inspection.
A few pics of mock-up. A little trimming here and there and she’ll be sweet, with stock corner bumpers helping to make it look factory.
https://ibb.co/9ZhWn1D
https://ibb.co/ZTgmnxm
Last edited by Bosco15 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: Does my Brumby look big in this?

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Looks alright to me from the pic. If you’ve got a 45* side on one that looks across the tailgate and down the side of the brumby it’ll give us a better idea of how that rear bar will look in comparison to the other parts of the brumby.

As for the pink/blue slip or whatever it is, I’m sure they won’t be scrutinising the tailgate mounts and the added bar piece. They’ll be mainly concerned with rust and the mechanical/safety aspects of the vehicle.

You’ll probably find that it hasn’t been rear ended, rather that the tailgate was removed for farm use, and that the rear section of the tray copped a flogging, so they’ve probably straightened it out and added the reinforcement, and left the tailgate off.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:05 pm

Spent the day cutting and fitting and cutting and trimming and fitting and cutting some more. Lol
Making pieces of different cars fit together nicely is not straight forward.
I will take more pics to show progress.
You may be correct about the tray being hammered. I will show pics of beam. It is in place of the rear valance, which has been cut away, which is the reason for concern regarding blue slip.
One thing that I have learned is that driving a Brumby without a seat isn’t fun. Stripped the inside to get rid of rat pee smell. New sound deadening, underlay and carpet to be fitted.

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:03 pm

Someone though that there was a need to beef up the rear of the tray. Now I have to hide it. Lol
I can weld in a sheet to finish the tray off. I will have to find another Brumby to take a peak at. See if I can make it look close to factory.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:01 pm

Images aren’t working with the code and I don’t know how to change that Bosco. Can you pls post just the link to the host site that we can use to look at them?

Cheers

Bennie

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:08 pm

Rear D-Max bar trimmed and mocked up. Not fixed off yet. Using original Brumby bumper hardware, massaged slightly, to fix corners of bar assembly. Middle to be bolted into monstrous beam. Plastic step to be fitted, yet.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:19 pm

I’ll be keen to hear what others have to say, but I reckon you could pull that off.

And that replacement bar piece, I don’t think it’ll be an issue - but I’m not one of the inspectors from your state. You could fold up some sheet metal easy enough and weld it in place then paint it.

Cheers

Bennie

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:14 am

All bolted up. Came up alright, IMO.
Small interface between bottom lip of tailgate and plastic step, as she opens, but it just pushes plastic down as it opens.
Hides the monstrous beam well, which was the aim of the whole exercise.
Last edited by Bosco15 on Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:20 pm

That should do the job just fine mate!

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

Re: images ..

Post by Bantum » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:28 pm

You have to copy the entire URL 'code' to get the image to work ( I've done the first one for you ) just need to go back & redo them ... ;)
Cheers, Bantum ...

Bosco15

Re: images ..

Post by Bosco15 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:50 pm

Bantum wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:28 pm
You have to copy the entire URL 'code' to get the image to work ( I've done the first one for you ) just need to go back & redo them ... ;)
Cheers, Bantum ...
Thank you Bantum.
Please forgive my ignorance of tech coding.
I copy the code that is on the posts (ones you can click and be sent to image) put it inside [IMG] ...[\img] and end up with a little square that says image. Cannot seem to get pic like you have.

Bantum
General Member

Re: Images ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:31 am

For future reference - You'll need to 'right click' on your image from the host site & 'Copy Image Address' from the list - Then paste that bit of code to here. ( Should get a long string of code with numbers - don't just copy the 'header' - you'll need the rest of it as well ... ;)

Example given : https://ibb.co/ZTgmnxm

From there get code : https://i.ibb.co/zf2JyZJ/8-F142-CC5-829 ... 580936.jpg

Put that in the [*img] [/img] bracket ...

Should get :

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:58 pm

Roger. Wilco.
Legends who take the time to help to the extent that you have, make this world a better place to be.
Cheers.

Return to “EA Body, Paint & Exterior”