MY rear brake pads

EA71, EA81 & EA82 Brakes, Wheels & suspension components
Silverbullet

MY rear brake pads

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Well it's time, my rear brakes pads have worn out :( I've searched around but haven't found definitive answers to my questions so if anyone knows of a thread point me there.

Basically they're making a scrubbing noise leading me to believe they are cactus. Happens when I brake anything other than softly so I've been nursing them today trying not to brake too hard lest I score the drums. Rang up about brake pads but they guy didn't have a listing for 4WD wagons before 85' :confused: Anyway he said there are two listings for pads before 85' but doesn't know which is for my car. I'm thinking I'll have to remove the wheel and drum to take a pic of the pads and reassemble it to drive the car to the parts place...possible? That's another thing, are the castle nuts 36mm? I'll need a socket and I'm guessing 1/2" drive won't be big enough meaning I'll need to spend a whole lot more than I want to :(

After I get the castle nut and drum off what things should I be weary of? I don't want my brakes to fail half way to work and need a tow; my RAA cover just expired :mad: And I understand those castle nuts are bloody tight, will need piece of pipe for the breaker bar.

Also since I don't know what pads I need the parts place couldn't order them, and can't order them over the weekend so it won't be happening this weekend. How long can I drive on brakes that make this noise? I know they need replacing ASAP but am I safe to drive another 300k's?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:24 pm

call them shoes if you have drums, then talk to a brake place not just an auto parts place. It may be an idea to pull drums off, take them in , let them measure to see if the can be machined, if they need machining. You can get oversized shoes - thicker linings, and some places machine drum to fit the shoes they supply you. New wheels cylinders on your list and brake fluid. Some cheap tols are good enough, like how hard will it be to break cheap 3/4" stuff ??

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 pm

So my car needs new shoes? :p

All that would be great Johnno but I need this done cheaply and easily. New brake shoes are $35 either way and there was me hoping I would get away with only spending $35. Anything that requires "taking it in" adds a new level of complication and cost :(

Especially annoying since I wasn't expecting it, that'll learn me to not do any preventative maintenance :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:29 am

Having a second Subie pays off in times like this :) My Brumby is off the road waiting for me to fit newish front strut inserts (not L Stuff yet) and the GLTA is my workhorse and transport for a while

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:18 am

Super cheap auto had a 3/4 socket set for 89 dollars the last time I looked. I have a cheap set and it is damn near indestructible.

Pity I didn't keep my brumby brake shoes when I changed over to discs, they had plenty of meat left on them.

Are you sure they are stuffed, is the noise metallic or just a shhh click shhh click shhh click noise when you brake, because they may just need cleaning and adjusting.

The drums are buggers for filling will brake dust and causing the shoes to slip in the drum making the scrubbing noise.

I forgot the gregorys link as well

http://rapidshare.com/files/369419396/16_-_brakes.pdf
TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Silverbullet
What year is your MY ?
Mine is an 82 Wagon and I know my front brake pads are Bendix DB326AD (dont know what the AB means) and going off the Bendix catalogue if a Brumby has DB326's on the front it should have BS1368 shoes on the rear. I see the catalogue does not list the rear shoes for anything before 1985 for a Leone and this is probably the issues you have already come across. ?
BS1368 is common for the rears for Brumbys from 1978 to 1985.
Keeping in mind all the issues I have had during the week finding front pads for my L series I am very cautious on the Bendix catalogue (cause it was wrong) but this may at least give you a guide.
I know at Auto 1 their Bendix catalogue has full size pictures of all their pads/shoes so I think like others the best way is to pull your drums off and take a shoe to somewhere like this and get them to make the decision. If they are wrong even with a shoe in front of them it is up to the auto store to replace it with the correct item.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:06 pm

TOONGA wrote: Are you sure they are stuffed, is the noise metallic or just a shhh click shhh click shhh click noise when you brake, because they may just need cleaning and adjusting.

The drums are buggers for filling will brake dust and causing the shoes to slip in the drum making the scrubbing noise.

I forgot the gregorys link as well

http://rapidshare.com/files/369419396/16_-_brakes.pdf
TOONGA
That is interesting about the filling with dust, hope that's the problem :rolleyes: It is not really a metallic noise but hard to describe, definitely a scrubbing noise, and there's also the usual rear-right brake cylinder clicking but it's always done that. And like I say if I brake lightly there's no noise, anything other than light pressure and it scrubs.

Thanks for the info Cliff, my car is an 81'. Would the brake shoes be the same for Brumbies and wagons? I said over the phone I thought wagons and Leone's had the same shoes but parts guy said no.

Haha Johnno our driveway isn't really big enough for 4 cars, and on 1st year apprentice wages I can't see me paying for 2 cars to be on the road :shock:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:18 pm

It depends on the year model.
Most auto shops call anything from the early 80's (MY and earlier) to the mid 90's (L Series) Leone's which annoys the crap out of me.
I have to keep bringing them back to the right year model.
Someone please correct me but the Brumbys and wagon up to the start of the L series on 85 models are pretty much the same, yes ?

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:11 pm

I don't have a brumby...

But first LSeries was 85, so one would assume anything earlier was MY. Brumby or Leone. But don't quote me on that. The Brumby peeps will jump in soon.

What about wreckers? Pads must be $10 ish a pair. Though I guess bring a super consumable part that might be a bit silly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:26 pm

AD = Advance series of pads, their basic general purpose pad

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Yeah Smokey anything before 85' would be MY, but over the phone the guy said Leone (sedans) and Wagons had different shoes, I got the impression 4WD were different to 2WD shoes too.

Anyway I had a chat to the engineer I know and he's got all the tools already, said I can drop around tomorrow morning and we'll check my brake shoes at his place. So I'll take photos for reference and I can check the condition too before I buy anything to see if they're actually worn or if it's just dust.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:37 am

Take a misting spray bottle for damping down the dust with plain old tap water and a basin below to keep mr engineers place clean. The bits come up amazingly clean so long as no oily residue about and not likely given the diff has sals a few feet away :)

A BFH is quite often needed too - backing off the adjusters before even trying to pull the drums off also helps

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:29 pm

No need to worry about making a mess, it was outside ;)

Went to check my shoes today and one of the axle nuts came off easily (someone didn't tighten to spec) on both sides the washer and conical washer thingy fell out easily and the drum slid straight off, no bashing required. Both sides the pads are bonded onto the shoes, so no rivets to worry about and there is plenty of meat left on them. Thinnest one was 3mm, thickest 5mm (new?) but one brake pad on each side was tapered; 3mm at one end and about 5mm at the other. Brake drums are in great nick and a smidge over 181mm inside diameter, service limit is 182 but they don't need machining anyway.

Engineers advice is they don't need replacing, he's seen pads with about .5mm (:shock:) left and still working fine. He and I still had no idea what could be making the noise, I'm thinking I will replace the shoes anyway since they are very old and only $30 odd to replace, I got pics for Mr. parts guy too, below is the most tapered shoe.
Attachments
P4280276.jpg
P4280276.jpg (115.8 KiB) Viewed 3719 times
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Drums can wear out of square ( I know, they are round to start with :D ) You will appreciate a disc rear end one day :)

Hope it all works out

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:35 pm

As Steptoe said dampening down the dust is important for cleanliness and safety.
Old brake pads/shoes contained asbestos and this is not good for the lungs.
Another thing to use and is available from most if not all auto stores is a spray on brake cleaner.
This stuff removes brake wear deposits (dust etc) and also removes brake fluid, oil, and other brake waste stuff.
It can be applied without dismantling the brakes at all but you need to try to keep the spray off the wheel cylinder rubber boots as it states on the can to protect rubber parts from overspray.
The propellant is Hydrocarbon so it is inflammable so keep flames away from this stuff (dont know why anyone would have naked flames near by but anyhow....)
You need to use it in a well ventillated area due to fumes and you spray this stuff on till it runs off, let it dry or rub it off with a soft cloth and if you need to spray some more on again to finish the job.
The rear brake on my 82 MY are noise and I guess I should replace the shoes and the wheel cylinders but I will try the brake cleaner first.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Cliff R wrote:Silverbullet
What year is your MY ?
Mine is an 82 Wagon and I know my front brake pads are Bendix DB326AD (dont know what the AB means) and going off the Bendix catalogue if a Brumby has DB326's on the front it should have BS1368 shoes on the rear. I see the catalogue does not list the rear shoes for anything before 1985 for a Leone and this is probably the issues you have already come across. ?
BS1368 is common for the rears for Brumbys from 1978 to 1985.
Keeping in mind all the issues I have had during the week finding front pads for my L series I am very cautious on the Bendix catalogue (cause it was wrong) but this may at least give you a guide.
I know at Auto 1 their Bendix catalogue has full size pictures of all their pads/shoes so I think like others the best way is to pull your drums off and take a shoe to somewhere like this and get them to make the decision. If they are wrong even with a shoe in front of them it is up to the auto store to replace it with the correct item.

Spot on Cliff, I got the new shoes today and they are Bendix BS1368.

So for anyone who finds this thread in the search for info on MY wagon rear brake shoes, they are Bendix BS1368 :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 02, 2012 11:28 pm

add that to the sticky parts list that someone is gonna build one day

Return to “EA Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tyres”