NSW Blue slip

Bosco15

NSW Blue slip

Post by Bosco15 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:03 pm

After a few weeks of working on "Rat Nest" Brumby, she is finally booked in to get Blue slip inspection.
She has been a farm Brumby for the last ten years and not registered for use on the public roads.
NSW, Australia, requires an annual safety inspection for registration of road going vehicles, colloquially know as a Pink slip.
If a vehicle is unregistered for a period longer than three months, then a more rigorous inspection must be carried out. Known as a Blue slip.
Although I am confident that she is roadworthy, a Blue slip inspection can be nerve wracking.
I am unsure of the actual requirements but have heard rumours that everything that the vehicle left the factory with must work correctly.
I once saw a mechanic testing the rotating ash trays in the rear doors of an XA Falcon, during it's Blue slip inspection. Taking it to the extreme, I suspect.
So, all going well there will be another Brumby cruising the roads of NSW, tomorrow. 8-)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: NSW Blue slip

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:31 pm

That does sound over the top (the rotating ashtrays)!

They should go over all the mechanicals, mounting points, seat belts, seat condition, brakes and electricals.

All the best with it, the unknown is killer!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:30 pm

Well "Rats Nest" passed the blue slip inspection with flying colours.
A final pre-inspection inspection this morning had me scrounging for globes. 🤦
I had checked that lights, horn, wipers, indicators etc all worked, but had not spotted that the side lights were both blown.
A rummage through my motorbike bits box resulted in two led globes going into the sidelights. Now Rats Nest has those horrible 5000k lights blazing next to the candle powered headlights.

Now that I have mastered the image thing (Thank you Bantum) here are a few happy snaps.

The rear tray was treated to a couple of coats of Bully Liner. Not cheap but excellent product. $69/litre at SuperCheap Auto. I got it for $40/l online by buying a four litre kit and used the whole lot. It doesn't go far, but I am very impressed with the result.
The tray edge brightwork was well and truly bashed and misshapen, so coped a coat too. Looks good imo.

Making everything work for blue slip required some new interior light switches, as the original ones had corroded and fallen apart. Impreza switches look the goods and work well. The hole had to be enlarged and made into a square rather than the circle and a small button added to the door skin to press on the switch. The Brumby (original switches) are better endowed than the Impreza.

The interior is now WAY more appealing than when she came home with me. It smells pleasant, and sounds pretty good too. Sound deadener and underlay and carpet make the cab less of a resonator.

Now that she has passed inspection, time to see if I can make Impreza seats fit.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:31 pm

Congrats mate!

Shame you didn’t look into the SF forester door light switches, they’re round and should swap in without issue. I only stole the rubber boots because I worked out I didn’t need to swap the whole switch. At least you’ve got working switches and an easy source for new ones if needed.

Your brumby is looking very tidy! Do you have one or two pics of how you got it as the rats nest? She certainly doesn’t look like that anymore!

Cheers

Bennie

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:30 am

Thanks Bennie.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of when I got her home.
Apart from the rodents, dust and dings, she was in reasonable condition for 397K km vehicle.
The interior has benefited from a little trick that I have learnt from YouTube that involves sun damaged plastics and a heat gun.
Wire wheeled and painted wheels. New tyres.
My amateur panel beating skills have removed the major dings (both front guards removed and straightened, front valance and bumper, rear sides, tailgate and tray.) and then a good cut and polish.
She is still FAR from straight, but I like patina. It tells a story.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:29 am

Nice one mate. My Brumby is far from straight. None of the dings are from my ownership! One day she’ll get the love and attention she deserves!

How many km done since rego was secured?? :razz:

Cheers

Bennie

Bosco15

Post by Bosco15 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:01 pm

Lol. I only got to drive her to and from the mechanic.
Haven't actually made it to RTA, yet.
Probably Monday, at this stage. Battle with the Government Corporation zombies and get some plates, then I will blow the cobwebs out of her. 8-)

Return to “EA - MY, Brumby, Leone, L series & RX, Vortex & XT4”