XV Ute ...

Collection of automotive design / construct projects by Bantum ...

Do you want XV-UTE?

Maybe
81%
Maybe
5%
Maybe
14%

Total votes: 37

Bantum
General Member

XV Ute ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:06 pm

After some proding by some on here ... :D

I came up with this :

Only a rough draft, but it seem's to work Ok, you can even 're-use' the rear quarter window ( rotated ) ... bonus ? ...

Add : Um - I might revise that window, as in the later sketch it didn't work so well ... :(

It should be a relatively simple job in cutting back to the sill line & then re-graft bits back in a suitable place. It will require some reworking of 'tray' in back though - I don't have any details of how that would go as yet ... :(

Add : I've also taken the top off the rear tail gate & spoiler and moved them forward, it could also be an option to make the rear window openable, not sure if it would work though ... ? ... It would also require re-hinging of the tailgate on bottom + checking to see if it opens with out hitting anything, like the bumper ... ;)

More Details : It would primarily be based on the XV / Impreza platform, with the following makeup :
  • Engine : XV : FB-20: 2.0 L H4 ( t/c Diesel ) ?
  • Transmision : 5/6 - speed manual + get the low range dual from L series ?
  • Differentials : lockable type - TBA ?
  • Wheebase : XV : F: 2,635 mm, R: 2,644 mm
  • Wheels : 17 x 7.0-inch 5-spoke aluminum-alloy. Dark gray with machine finish.
  • Tires : 225/55 R17 95H all-season
  • Spare : Full size, located under tray ?
  • Fuel Tank : Relocate Forwards ? Bigger ?
  • Length : XV : 4,414 mm
  • Width : XV : 1,750 mm
  • Height : XV: 1,570 mm
  • Curb Weight: Approx 1,020 kg ( Roughly based on a XV & removal of unwanted bits )
  • Colour: Plasma Green ... :)
Note : The above is only a rough guide atm, I will add more here as it progresses ...

Add : The overall length of tray would be short ? ( approx 1300 mm by my reconing ) ... So depending on your need, you could use the longer sedan version of the Imprezza body, which is apparently approx 100 mm longer, but its tail lights + rear end is different to the XV - or you can add a bit more to rear after the rear wheel arch, although other options of extending just behind the B pillar make it far more complicated ... :(

Anyone interested ?

Add : If you find one that has been rear ended + going cheap, then this may be a candidate for this mod ...

Edit's : Add more details + Second Sketch + add more - Feb 2014 ... Add Colour & Fuel Tank - April 2014 ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:56 pm

GEN3 Brumby !!

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Yeah ! The next gen Brumby ... :cool:

However, I've kept away from that deliberately as there is no real correlation between them, Hence the XV UTE graphics on side - I also like the name ... :D

Might see if I can come up with another shot of it from the front ... :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:07 pm

No extra length in the door? Bummer. It's just like a falcodore ute - but I guess if we get one into production it'll be with minimal changes to common parts such as front doors...

You've got some great drawing and visionary skills Bantum!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Post by 60766244 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Looks superb.
I tried to shop one from that angle but freephotoshop and me don't agree. The best I could do was that 2D version.
Where's a Subaru rep when you need one?
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Bantum
General Member

More XV-UTE ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:20 pm

El_Freddo wrote: ... No extra length in the door? ...
Optional if you want, although the XV doors are pretty big as they are ... ;) ... I'd like to have frameless too ... :p
El_Freddo wrote: ... production it'll be with minimal changes to common parts such as front doors ...
Yep - sorry to say, but production values suck ... :( ... but this would aid in getting at least the basic model going ... :D
El_Freddo wrote: ... You've got some great drawing and visionary skills Bantum ! ...
Thanks, we like to please ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

XV Structure ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Found this too :

Might be handy to work out structural changes ...

Bantum
General Member

XV-UTE front ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:17 pm

Ok - I've now done a front view of it :

There are however some anomilies that I've picked up: The exisiting the rear quater window is all the wrong shape unfortunately, so we won't be able to use it & the bumpers hang a bit lower than I'd like, but other than that it still looks good ... :D

P.S. - Added to header as well ... :)

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:34 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade, but it looks about as useful as one of those Suzuki Mighty Boys of years gone by.

The tray needs to be longer to of any use besides that of a shopping trolley.
An updated model of the Brumby is what is needed, god knows how long people have been calling for one and Subaru are stone deaf to their pleas.

IMO something like the offspring of the Brumby/Baja breed would be ideal, a 2 x seater with useable sized tray or even a Forester Ute like these with
the SubaXtreme low range gearbox for good measure.

Peter

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Ok, these are not Subarus. Neither is any of these 4WD, but they look pretty nice and are all in production in South America... I thought you might like them!

Volkswagen Saveiro

Chevrolet Montana

Ford Courier

Fiat Strada

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Bantum
General Member

A Bigger Tray ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:39 pm

For those doubters, I have taken into consideration the dimensions of the old Brumby, Baja & XV-Ute tray :
  • Brumby : (L/W/H) 4,355 x 1,635 x 1,445 mm
    Tray : approx 1,610 x 1,200 mm ( closed )
  • Baja : (L/W/H) 4,910 x 1,781 x 1,654 mm
    Tray : approx 1,040 x 1,140 mm ( closed )
  • XV-Ute : (L/W/H) 4,414 x 1,750 x 1,570 mm
    Tray : approx 1,300 x 1,220 mm ( allowing for location of rear wall )
Note : The stated dimensions are an approximate 'usable area' for the bed of Ute tray ...

So the XV is a slightly bigger beast overall & should comfortably be able to fit a 1200 x 1200 mm pallet. I've also allowed a bit more room behind the seats. For a bit more tray area, you could also make the back wall a fold down section, like in the Baja ... :D

Having said that, I did say there is also an option to extend the rear by at least 600 mm, which would make for an overall tray length of approx 1,900 mm, although this would require substantial modification to an existing XV frame ... :(

Just trying to be sensible about making it easy to manufacture + being small, light & nimble like its' predecessor ... ;)

Post by 60766244 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:36 am

Bantum wrote: ...
you could also make the back wall a fold down section, like in the Baja ... :D

Having said that, I did say there is option to extend the rear by at least 600 mm, which would make for an overall tray length of approx 1,900 mm, allthough this would require substantial modification to an existing XV frame ... :(

Just trying to be sensible about making it easy to manufacture + being small, light & nimble like its' predecessor ... ;)
I was thinking you could make the tailgate re-inforced so you could use it for load-bearing in travel situations.
That way you could have extra length, without needing to massively over-engineer things.
Even if you needed a tray to say, carry woodchips for example (light but large) then you could have flip-up panels attached to the strengthened tailgate that could fold down and away when not in use.
We need to remember that the payload of a ute of this type won't be the same as a Falcon or Commonwh*re Ute, and that's sort of the point too.
The benefits of this other than simpler engineering would be retaining the compact size of the vehicle and staying within the existing bodywork for the most part, and therefor keeping those good looks. ;)
Something vaguely like this, but styled much better...

Maybe your drawing skills could help here Bantum. ;)
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Bantum
General Member

Bed Extender ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:40 am

This is similar to what I was thinking of :

Can be easily attached to sides & folds up neatly to be stored in side pockets ... :grin:

The other option is the original one for a Baja :

Not as easy to stash though ... (;

Add: I also found this :

Much nicer + it acts as a ramp, bonus ! ... This could also be intergated into the XV-UTE's tail gate ... :)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:52 am

Im not sure I like the idea of a childrens crib, to hold a heavy load in the back of a ute :) a full length or near full length tray is a must.

If Fuji industries were to make a 3rd gen brumby, sadly I believe they would get into talks with Toyota or GM and the outcome would be a re-badged inline diesel of some description.

Having said that VW started from scratch with its 4WD ute so who knows.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Bantum
General Member

More Tray ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:22 am

TOONGA wrote: ... a full length or near full length tray is a must ...
I hear ya - So what is your definition of full length ?

I'd say it's the same as the Brumby at Approx 1600 mm ... ;)

P.S. - A standard hay bay will also fit in the proposed XV-Ute :

& if you fold down the tail gate, it should be able to fit motor bike ... :p

Add : Two motor bikes will fit on a Bed Size of : 2100 x 1200 mm ...

Add : Found this too :

• A: width at lower gate opening 35"
  • B: cargo floor width behind wheel wells 53"
  • C: cargo floor width between wheel wells 42"
  • D: width of left rear seat 17"
  • E: width on top of wheel wells 49"
  • F: width in middle of rear gate opening 37"
  • G: cargo length to back of seat 31"
  • H: height of gate opening 29"
  • I: cargo length to console heater controls 94"
  • J: height center cargo floor to ceiling 30"
  • K: cargo floor length to top of rear seat, not including headrests 55"
  • L: width of right rear seat 25"
Add : An Australian standard pallet is : 1,165 x 1,165 mm ...

So it might not fit all the way down, as the wheel arch gets in the way. But we could raise the bed by about 100 mm to get round it though ... :)

Esubie

Post by Esubie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:12 am

For me, what makes the Brumby unuseable is what a lot of others like. That's the size. Too small for me. A good guide would be getting the bike in the ute not hanging off the back.
I just want a 4wd lo-rise (not 4x4 SUV truck) full size Ute.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:45 am

Realistically any reincarnation of a Brumby is never gonna have locking diffs or a 3 inch lift or offroad tyres or heavy bullbars. Simply because of marketing, reliability and safety, its not gonna happen.

The logical platform for a ute would be a Forester or Liberty platform because of the more usable cargo area. The engine and gearbox would be the same as the current model its based on and there is no chance of low range gears unless you are willing to go back to an 80hp engine because Subaru dont want to be replacing broken mechanical components.

I know this thread is all about dreaming, but say if Subaru were to read this and put it to paper, they wont be designing anything new, except for the body.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Bantum
General Member

Open Sesame !

Post by Bantum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:17 pm

60766244 wrote: ... Maybe your drawing skills could help here Bantum ...
No worries, here is a rear view with openings shown :

Note: I was going to show a bike + Bed extender, but as they are after market items, I dicided to KISS ...

Add: And yes a trail bike will fit with rear Tail Gate down ... ;)

Enjoy, Bantum ... :D

Post by 60766244 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am

Bantum wrote:No worries, here is a rear view with openings shown :

Note: I was going to show a bike + Bed extender, but as they are after market items, I dicided to KISS ...

Add: And yes a trail bike will fit with rear Tail Gate down ... ;)

Enjoy, Bantum ... :D
Well there's always the chance to draw more. ;)

Looks great mate!

I went hunting on Google Sketchup today to convert a 3D model XV into a ute, but there's not one on there yet.

Might build one if I can find detailed enough schematics. :)

Bantum
General Member

XV in CAD ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:55 am

60766244 wrote: ... I went hunting on Google Sketchup today to convert a 3D model XV into a ute, but there's not one on there yet...
Yes - there are some examples out there, like is this one Here , but you have to pay $ 75 ... Doh ... :shock:

There is also this :

Got it from a broucher somewhere ... :)

Add : I found another XV CAD model here , but you have to be a member to sign in ... :(

+ here is another @ $ 95 ... Doh ... There are also more Subaru's here ... No XV though ... :(

So it just depends on how you want to get one ... :)

Return to “Bantum’s Works”