Bantum's '76 Hatch ...

Collection of automotive design / construct projects by Bantum ...
Bantum
General Member

Bantum's '76 Hatch ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:20 pm

I also own a 1976 Subaru Wagon ( my first Subaru ) ...

Note : See my tag or this link for more photos of existing ... :)

Sometime ago I had some thoughts on what I could do with it as a project car & came up with this :

& after looking at some other sketch drawings on here recently, thought I'd give it go - and came up with this :

So appart from complete lack of details, this would be a nice 'restoration' project some time in the future ... :)

Note : The above is not an accurate representation, notice the wipers are back to front ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ... :D

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Would be interesting to see done but a cutting and welding nightmare to actually get it done.

It would probably be easier just to restore the wagon to its former glory.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

purp

Post by purp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:45 pm

I like it. Wouldn't want to try to get it engineered, but I like it...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Looking at the drawings, it looks like you've used the body off the MY hatch and used the front nose and back end off the Ugly model.. this would probably be the easiest way to do it from an engineering point and possibly the cheapest way too.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Bantum
General Member

Options ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:08 pm

TOONGA wrote: ... cutting and welding nightmare ...
Yep, probaly would be ... all the above is just an idea for the moment ... :)
TOONGA wrote: ... It would probably be easier just to restore the wagon to its former glory ...
Another possiblity, as I don't mind the look of front / rear end. Pitty about the odd middle bit ... :shock:
RSR 555 wrote: ... Looking at the drawings, it looks like you've used the body off the MY hatch and used the front nose and back end off the Ugly model ...
Ha not quite, as my intial ideas were to create something unique, a one of a kind ? based on Subaru history for rally cars.

It could also be a 'preceder' to the MY hatch model ... :D

But what I had thought of mainly it may be possible to cut the 'Leone' wagon up, shorten it a bit & use another model for longer doors, etc.

All varouis options to be considered ... :razz:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:56 pm

mr sp 33 has some competition !!

No harm in your graphics taking on the 4 dor wagon to look like a 2 door wagon styling whole thing like two tone, colour of front door extending into rear door, colour coding rear door handle to hide it in door colour.

U used the lime greeny yellow colour of MY, not seen that colour for yonks !

Aw, saw a Foz done in carbon fibre vinyl of two textures the other day - looked awesome but hard to rad the ad text

Bantum
General Member

Drawing ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:50 pm

steptoe wrote: ... mr sp 33 has some competition !! ...
Coming from an architectural background I had to learn how to draw. However I'm only good at the other stuff, as I haven't done a lot of car drawings + no where as good as mr sp 33 ... :(

Doesn't hurt to try every now & then ... ;)
steptoe wrote: ... U used the lime greeny yellow colour of MY, not seen that colour for yonks ! ...
It's supposed to be same as the original, but I didn't have the exact match ... :(

Yeah, was going for that classic rally look too ... !
steptoe wrote: ... Aw, saw a Foz done in carbon fibre vinyl of two textures the other day - looked awesome but hard to rad the ad text ...
I'm not sure what your talking about there, got any references / images ?

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:44 am

There are some MY hutchbacks but they're rare as, Getting it engineered and VIV would be an concern because they wouldnt get straight answer until the job is completed and will be a lot of backwards/forwards and long time to get it right. I would restore it as it is.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Bantum
General Member

Doh ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:21 am

Someone beat me to it ... :(

More details here ...

Doesn't look as good as what I was going for, but :cool: nonetheless ... :)

Ciao, Bantum ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38 am

Almost looks like a pressed metal Tonka car from the 70's :)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Tailshaft must be pretty short
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:32 am

Bantum wrote:Someone beat me to it ... :(

Looks like that's in the US - who in Oz would be told via a sign that you can't do a left hand turn??

And I don't see the point in this other than a show of craftmanship... That short wheel base must make for a pretty rough ride if you're travelling at highway speeds!

I'd be working on a longer wheelbase, I guess this is where the stubby tail and longer doors come into it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bantum
General Member

Shorter ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:08 am

Some replies I hadn't got round to :
steptoe wrote: ... Almost looks like a pressed metal Tonka car from the 70's ...
Ha - Yes it does remind me of that ... :)
Gannon wrote:... Tailshaft must be pretty short ...
Yep, or more likely the rear diff probably just fits directly behind the gearbox, without the shaft ... ;)
El_Freddo wrote:... Looks like that's in the US ...
Yep, very observant there ... :rolleyes:
El_Freddo wrote:... That short wheel base must make for a pretty rough ride if you're travelling at highway speeds ! ...
Yes it would - although if I were to do something similar, I would make it more stable / proportional as per my Sketches ... :)
El_Freddo wrote:... I guess this is where the stubby tail and longer doors come into it ...
Not sure what your trying to say there, but I might develop the concept further in SketchUp later ... :D

Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Bantum wrote:Not sure what your trying to say there, but I might develop the concept further in SketchUp later ... :D
The factory hatches had the long door like the brumby, but the hatch at the short "stubby" rear end.

This car has the stock door with a bit of modifiation and the stock rear overhang - makes the proportions of the vehicle not sit right with the viewer...

Cheers

Bennie

sublime

Post by sublime » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:44 pm

El_Freddo wrote:This car has the stock door with a bit of modifiation and the stock rear overhang - makes the proportions of the vehicle not sit right with the viewer...
If you look closely at 'orange stumpy' the doors have been made up from both the front and rear doors. Thus a 'cut and shut' of both doors, not a stock door at all.

A lot of work went into this and I agree with you that the end result is not very pleasing to the eye. 1977 to 1981 Coupe or Brumby doors would have made this appear like the latter generation hatch and perhaps less metal work would have been needed... I suppose that was not the point, however!
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:07 pm

sublime wrote:If you look closely at 'orange stumpy' the doors have been made up from both the front and rear doors. Thus a 'cut and shut' of both doors, not a stock door at all.

A lot of work went into this and I agree with you that the end result is not very pleasing to the eye. 1977 to 1981 Coupe or Brumby doors would have made this appear like the latter generation hatch and perhaps less metal work would have been needed... I suppose that was not the point, however!
Which then begs the question why didn't they put the effort into creating a longer door? The only answer I can come up with is that they didn't have a window of a suitable size/shape to fit the bill.

Cheers

Bennie

Bantum
General Member

To Cut & Shut ...

Post by Bantum » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:28 pm

sublime wrote: ... If you look closely at 'orange stumpy' the doors have been made up from both the front and rear doors. Thus a 'cut and shut' of both doors, not a stock door at all ...
Yep I'd agree with you there, although main problem would be getting the window for this munted door, as it won't wind down fully ... :\
sublime wrote: ... A lot of work went into this and I agree with you that the end result is not very pleasing to the eye ...

Yes - I find the look a little odd too, the orange colour probably doesn't help either - makes it stand out a bit ... :shock:
sublime wrote: ... 1977 to 1981 Coupe or Brumby doors would have made this appear like the latter generation hatch and perhaps less metal work would have been needed ...
Hmmm, good point - I should give that a try ... :idea: ... Anyone got some older gen BRAT / Brumby doors we could experiment with ?
El_Freddo wrote: ... Which then begs the question why didn't they put the effort into creating a longer door? The only answer I can come up with is that they didn't have a window of a suitable size/shape to fit the bill ...
Probably just using what he had ... ;)

If we can find a set of period brumby doors, ( might also need the B pillar & back as well - for the lock mechanism, etc. ) then all it would require is longer rear window - let us know if you can recommend what other suitable windows are out there, or I could get it made as basically its a flat sheet, no curves as such ... :D

So, to Cut & Shut the wagon, recon I should ? ... :p

Bantum
General Member

Found ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:23 am

Small victory, found some more original images :

Image,Image

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Travels ...

Post by Bantum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:43 am

Camping @ Uluru :

Sight seeing Ballarat :

Note : Moved from front page ...

Cheers, Bantum ...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:34 am

Cool wagon :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Bantum’s Works”