Nannadan 3rd eye installation

TOONGA
Elder Member

Nannadan 3rd eye installation

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:36 am

A back story

With the help of T'subaru (RIP) I amassed a rather large stash of 3RD eye parts from the USA

Sadly when I sold PJ I decided that I would never use said stash (just call me dumbo) so I sold it all to Sam Jefferies who promptly did this. that is a very sexy wagon Sam :lol: :shock:

then I bought Nannadan https://imgur.com/a/vIJeK and much regret ensued. I contacted Sam who agreed to sell me what he had not used for a very reasonable price.

A big thanks to Corax for his help with this project, not only keeping me sane but asking questions as well as advising.

As we were pushed for time I didn't get heaps of photos

Before

The fun begins remove everything that is in the way and drill out the front support.

A simple process I was told only a couple of spot welds I was told
6 spot welds all up 2 at the front 2 either side of the hood release and 2 in the front of the top of the radiator support

support removed

test fit 3RD eye to make sure when it is open it isn't going to shear through the condenser for the aircon. a big thanks to my hand model ;)

one bolt in place I would suggest rivserts or nyloc nuts as getting a spring washer a nut and a spanner in behind the 3RD eye calls for small hands or much patience

bolted in place note the damage to the radiator support make sure you drill the spot weld out on the right spot :mad:

getting there, surrounds in place to make sure the bull bar will go in place. Magic happened here the original round headlights and second hand original surrounds from the USA appear

test fit the grille ... hmmmm do you see what we noticed, I have a solution but we were running short on time so for now on with the show.

remove the obstruction on the bullbar refer to before picture, it had to come off to let the light shine

in place and ready for the final test

the final result

the light has not been wired up yet I had to manually open the cover then wire the light to the battery for long enough to take pictures. hopefully soon it will be but that is a job for Subarino in Perth

thanks to everyone who helped out and a big thanks and remember for T'subaru (miss you bud) who helped me get all of this goodness to Australia

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Silverbullet

Re: Nannadan 3rd eye installation

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:17 am

Love it 8) Interested to see what Subarino does to get the light and door working together. I've seen some posts on other forums of using a simple DPDT switch. I salvaged/repaired the little control box that was in the parts you sent me, there was a PCB in there with 2 little relays, transistor and some other components. Seemed a bit complicated if you can achieve the same thing with a single switch :roll: Works well though.

So does this mean we've got the only two Subies in Australia with a third eye? Pretty exclusive club eh? :lol:

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Sam I know of one other 3RD eye in Australia and that is Rohan Maxim

I found this extremely complicated diagram on USMB a while ago

I have checked it out and it will work relays can be added (would need 2-3) but it is a little more involved

TOONGA

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Looks good Toonga!

And I didn’t know you had a third eye setup Silverbullet!! You kept that one quiet when I caught up with you (ages ago now!). It also looks like your build thread is due for an update!

Personally I like the look of some big wattage driving lights ;) Are you able to upgrade the globe in the light or is it a sealed beam unit? (bugger if it is!)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:16 am

El_Freddo wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:41 pm
Looks good Toonga!

And I didn’t know you had a third eye setup Silverbullet!! You kept that one quiet when I caught up with you (ages ago now!). It also looks like your build thread is due for an update!

Personally I like the look of some big wattage driving lights ;) Are you able to upgrade the globe in the light or is it a sealed beam unit? (bugger if it is!)

Cheers

Bennie
Bennie the globe is a replaceable 12v halogen in a glass housing. So I think it could be upgraded to blind on coming traffic status, mind you the it would probably been easier to do that before it was put in the car :p

sadly Big wattage driving lights tend to be unbolted at night and sold in my neck of the woods :shock:

TOONGA

Return to “TOONGA”