Brumby wrx convertion

Moderator: Rumbl1n

Rumbl1n

Brumby wrx convertion

Post by Rumbl1n » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Hey guys thought i would start a new thread as ive started colecting parts for my conversion.

So i got hold of a 97 wrx ej20t its complete but i do need the main harness

next piece of the puzzle i am searching for is a foz gear box
still have to do more research into things like fuel pump,tailshaft diff ect ect so ive got many hours or searching to be done

Oh and the guy i brought the motor off said he has a full 98 wrx dash and steering column sitting there i can have so i am thinking about running the full wrx wiring harness with the wrx dash just an idea atm.

but hopefully this thread will help others aswell as me everyone's input is wecome cause im goin in blind my last build was a 308 carbie with all of 5 or so wires :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Brumby
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

Rumbl1n

Post by Rumbl1n » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:34 pm

89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Fuel pump: go with an external from a VN commodore 5L V8, VL commodore turbo (everyone goes for this one even though it's at least twice the price of one that's equivalent) or the L series MPFI/MPFI turbo. The VN commo 5L V8 would be the cheapest from what my searching found.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:54 pm

ooo i will be watching this as i plan to buy a wreak or half cut WRX to inject into my L,, i too will be putting the dash and seats in, should make it a little easer when wiring... lay both looms out on the ground with every clip labeled and cut and shut them, using everything for the motor and box wrx and the rest like lights and stuff l series [brumby in ur case] put together and insert should be easy.... in theory anyway,, i just completed a r33 skyline into a vn commo, dash, wiring, heater box, aircon, box n motor...its my little bros, 28k later 800hp,, thats where my plan for the wagon came from, i want to try and keep up... good luck with it
ahhhrrr the subi will make it!

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:11 pm

WRX dash is quite a bit wider than Brumby and due to the spare wheel well coming in to the dash area this conversion is not easy. Every one I have heard of doing this has said it took 10 times longer than expected, was bloody hard to do and they would never do it again.

Thats why I am using a 1992 RX7 dash for mine instead - but then I am using the RX7 motor as well :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chridk

Post by chridk » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:59 am

Its a fun project mate,

I started with a front cut that I knew was running and used everything from it including wiring harness & dash/cluster.....But I will say I am not running any heater/ac setup.

The diff is the same as the brumby r160, just get the matching ratio for the gbox although you might need to find the matching inner cv's for the diff.

The tailshaft, I used front half L series (manual) and rear half 97wrx( make sure it unbolts at the centre flange ie not fixed/welded).

There is heaps more stuff for you to discover & learn.......enjoy.

Rumbl1n

Post by Rumbl1n » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:52 pm

chridk wrote:Its a fun project mate,

I started with a front cut that I knew was running and used everything from it including wiring harness & dash/cluster.....But I will say I am not running any heater/ac setup.

The diff is the same as the brumby r160, just get the matching ratio for the gbox although you might need to find the matching inner cv's for the diff.

The tailshaft, I used front half L series (manual) and rear half 97wrx( make sure it unbolts at the centre flange ie not fixed/welded).

There is heaps more stuff for you to discover & learn.......enjoy.
thanx for your help looking at the dash this afternoon i was thinking i might leave out the aircon and heater as its only going to be a weekend car
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

Rumbl1n

Post by Rumbl1n » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:53 pm

here is some photos of some gear i picked up today the bloke was throwing it all out so score for me!!
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

Rumbl1n

Post by Rumbl1n » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Hey guys just a quick update still collecting parts i want to collect everything i can think of (sure ill miss a few things) before i take a spanner to the old girl i want her to be off the road for as little as possblie.

picked a an almost complele 97 wrx front impact has an imaculate dash an alot of other things i can use.

picking up a liberty box and an l-sieries box at the end of the week

also fuel lines radiator (already modded) and thermo fans on the way

once i get the g/b nex item is the diff and i still need the front half of the tail shaft
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Nice project! I reckon I will be dropping a real motor in my Forester by the end of the year. It's shit having a extremely slow daily driver!

You would think that after almost 3 years I'd be used to it, but no. lol

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:38 am

I've got a lib auto tail shaft if you need it...
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:04 am

I've got a Lib power steering rack with the Brumby tie rods already attached. Will be down to perth 1st week in October if you want it - for a small fee of course :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 am

niterida wrote:I've got a Lib power steering rack with the Brumby tie rods already attached. Will be down to perth 1st week in October if you want it - for a small fee of course :)

Are you sure that the lib P/s rack fits to the Brumby cross-member? Only thought you could use the lib rack on the L series???
He is keeping the brumby cross-member and not doing a crazy chassis mode like you Ken i think... I'm not sure but don't think the lib rack bolts to the brumby cross-member..
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Rumbl1n

Post by Rumbl1n » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:25 pm

if it fits i will take it p/s is on the top of my list havent even got big wheels yet an its a pig
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:33 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Are you sure that the lib P/s rack fits to the Brumby cross-member? Only thought you could use the lib rack on the L series???
He is keeping the brumby cross-member and not doing a crazy chassis mode like you Ken i think... I'm not sure but don't think the lib rack bolts to the brumby cross-member..
It sure does - it came off a Brumby crossmember :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Rumbl1n wrote:if it fits i will take it p/s is on the top of my list havent even got big wheels yet an its a pig
Cool - I think I have a pump too if you need one ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:02 am

haha i would have a ej22 any day over my ea82 although i have pushed as much power out of mine as i can re build, head work, weber and full sport system, i also plan to soon do a wrx half cut convo into my l series, will be watching closely mate...
ahhhrrr the subi will make it!

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:06 am

Will be watching or willing to help with some of the dash work as I plan to do similar to this to the hatch
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

Rumbl1n

Post by Rumbl1n » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:59 am

90brumby wrote:Will be watching or willing to help with some of the dash work as I plan to do similar to this to the hatch
sounds good one thing that will help me heaps is i have two dashes one still in the car as referance still not sure if i will run the heater box not running the aircon
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

Rumbl1n

Post by Rumbl1n » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:02 pm

So now i play the waiting game just need to sell the ea81 before i pull it out also going camping next weekend so ill be waiting till after that
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

Return to “Rumbl1n”