Screw the haters

Moderator: Rumbl1n

Rumbl1n

Screw the haters

Post by Rumbl1n » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Hey guys kinda worked up about this just wondering if anyone has the same problem.

I have a lot of people around me (friends and family) who hate the fact that I am spending money on a Subaru an that I should get a "real" 4wd does anyone else have this issue?

I have driven a few 4wds not a huge deal but never had as much fun as I do in my brumby I've never had trouble getting stuck anywhere keeping in mind ground clearance I've never pushed my luck.

I respect other people's choises in cars they buy them cause it's what they want but lately it feels like everyone is against my and my brumby...

Just had to get that off my chest!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Brumby
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:56 pm

thats their problem, like the old saying the bigger the car the smaller the ...

pen is ....mightier than the sword :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:03 pm

If I could quote lyrics from Ian ? "Jacko" Jacksons' "I'm an individual and you can't fool me"

'K 'em, wait and see if any others work out just how much fun you get outta yer Brum ..different strokes...

I used to cop crap from some knob got more money than brains tosser I was exposed to - he used to keep trading up to the latest Thai-lux :(

A little further down the track worked out he was and still is a workplace psychopath and knocking my lil Brum was about all he could work up on me.

The longer you keep your Brumby the less you will have spent on it averaged out - more bloody versatile than a lot of other vehicles. Had my first for nearly 14 years now

Chin UP and keep smilin' :)

spambo

Post by spambo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Your brumby will still be going strong long after their "REAL 4WDS" have broken down and cost them thousands to fix. truth is they are ignorant:o

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Rumbl1n wrote: I should get a "real" 4wd
this happens to me on a regular basis, so i ask them what there fuel consumption is. that usually shuts them up ;)
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

Rumbl1n

Post by Rumbl1n » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:22 pm

thunder039 wrote:this happens to me on a regular basis, so i ask them what there fuel consumption is. that usually shuts them up ;)
Imagine a Subaru with there long range tanks you would only fill up once a year lol
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:40 pm

I don't have a Brumby (yet?) but I kinda get the same thing from my brother about the old wagon. Having seen my fresh engine and new gearbox sitting in the corner of the shed now every time he sees me he goes on about how he doesn't understand why I'm doing it, I should get a newer car with A/C and I won't turn back bla bla bla

Just brush it off as nonsense, part of what keeps me determined is imagining the look on my brothers face when he's in the passenger seat and I plant it in my restored car :D
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Yeah I get this all the time haha.
Especially since iIm spending right up at the pointy end of things...!
Thing is, I know I will never get back what I spend, and I don't really care!
It's for your enjoyment not anyone elses.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:48 pm

I get it all the time from my mate.
His argument is I got ripped off. Paid all that money and then the engine...
Well he's got a 75 series troopy.
4.0l 6cyl 3inch lift and 32" tyres.
Bought it for $1500 but has already spent heaps.
Window, windscreen, starter, heaps of rust, glow plugs.
Il have the last laugh.
He will have to pay sooo much in petrol, and to keep it running. ( already needs tyres).

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

revmax

Post by revmax » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Had a similar discussion today with some work mates.
Most of them like my Brumby or brumbys in general.
Those that don't understand usualy dont even care cause It's mine and those that do pipe up get " I don't need a big car, to make my d--k look bigger" They usally have a chuckle and are not heard from again.
But realy none of them hate my Brumby or brumbys in general they might say something just for a stir in fun.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm a little older than most of you guys so I can remember back a while.

Back to the 2 stoke Suzuki 4WD. It was laughed at, shunned by the purists Toyota LC owners and scoffed at by Landie diehards.

I was married in 1985 (chuck up) and my new wife and I arrived in Tassy. My cousin offered to drive us down to Strachan on the west coast. On the way we had heaps of time to kill, because it would only top 80kph and at that speed, well your teeth chattered, your ears crackled and with my young wife sitting on a bean bag at the back the beans exchanged position allowing for her first and only orgasm. I later found out where the screw jack was stored in the vehicle...

"Wayne" told me how much his workmates stirred him over his Susie. Until the 4WD club he was a member found a forest. His little engine revving at 11,000rpm left them for dead, if not on the muddy hills then between the trees or the two stroke smoke was so thick the others had to wait for a clear view. Nothing could stop it! I can see it now....at the bottom of the hill revving with smoke everywhere. My wife crawling through the plastic convertible roof in her vain attempt to be a stowaway such was her thirst for that Japanese "G" spot experience replicated. Like as if she was in a desert for a week and saw her first oasis.

Lada owners say the same. (Not the "G" spot bit, the cars ability) Read the Lada forums. Some install sC12 superchargers to the Fiat engines (like tweety). I nearly bought one but it was just a little too rough for me. The Brumby would have at the time fitted the requirement though.

Tell you what the 4WD truckers miss. They are obsessed on the extremes of their joy. If it isnt filled with every accessory and capability then it isnt as good as their vehicle. What they miss is that the time they spend actually driving in extreme conditions whereby a brumby couldnt go is about say 1% of their total driving time/distance- in 4 wheel drive!. And during that short period the brumby owner, who is smarter because he has petrol money bulging from his wallet, has thought of a smoother route to the same destination.

The troopy owner arrives at camp accusing the brumby owner of driving a useless peice of 4WD crap and not taking on the real rough stuff. The Brumby owner is doing his dishes leaving the troopy owner standing there, cold and hungry.

There is always someone with something bigger, something better, something with more winch power and lift....but like my experience with my first wife's one and only orgasmic experience.....sometimes smaller is in fact better.....and if you really want to have an experience in 4 wheel driving with your Brumby....buy a bean bag.

Fast track 11 years and we had councilling. The therepist asked us to individually return to ones first real effective sexual experience. After I revealed all (which took a looong time) I said "as for my wife, I've tried for 11 years.......err....see that bean bag in the corner...."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:41 pm

I used to cop it from my family, right up till my wife drove onto some soggy ground in the bomberdoor wagon. Down to the sills.They're all standing around talking towtrucks. I reverse the old auto L out to the wagon, attach towrope, push button for 4WD and calmly tow the stuck wagon back out along it's own 6inch deep tyre tracks. Auto let me do it with complete control, no wheelspin, just pulled the stuck beast out.
I've pensioned the old girl off, but feel the newer Outback is even better.
Plus, no landcrusher sounds like a Suby can.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Let it never be said that Tweety can't tell a story :o Interesting read that's for sure!
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm

nice story tweety enjoyed the read ;)
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Marvalas tweety, simply splendid.
I need to hear more of your stories!

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

Rumbl1n

Post by Rumbl1n » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:05 pm

Tweety put a smile on my face lol
89 Legacy gt turbo
97 wrx (wrecking)

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:07 am

Well, if you guys insist.
Its about my virginity, that I lost it in a two year old Subaru. Sounds impressive eh. See I joined the RAAF in 1973. I was 17 and I’ll blame the coldness of the Melbourne chicks at the time for my rocks being untouched by human hands…apart for the doctor that brought me into the world (I can feel his grip today) and myself of course especially when I had that bloody itch problem when I was 12.
Anyway eager to change the situation I had heard of a story of a Subaru station wagon in one of the hundreds of high walled bunkers that littered the Edinburgh air base in SAust. But I never believed the tales. Aircraft bits and pieces, crash test dummies and old landing lights filled those bunkers.
Then one day I thought I got lucky. Lois the Labrador (the Labrador is a nick name) lets say wasn’t so attractive and I was dared to make her first score. But I had passed in the rumour that I had a pretty mean and comprehensive past love life. It was a male thing of course. Boasting hid the truth.

Anyway one night I collected the Lab…err…. Lois from the WRAFFery (the accommodation block for the ladies). My trusty Suzuki 100 trail bike was flat out along a track when red and blue lights from a Valiant air force police car followed me. Seems my mates dobbed me in. So over the bunkers I went in a desperate attempt to elude them. Lois was frantic. She begged me to stop…no…no…no Tweety…please No. Of course I was told by my mates that No meant yes. So I pushed on. Three cop cars now pursued me. One nearly rolled apparently.
Then one really large bunker emerged in the moonlight. It must have been 5 stories tall. Flat throttle was slowly getting me to the top where the Suzuki nearly stopped altogether. This was Lois’s only chance to jump off. And jump she did. Me…..well legend has it that I rode straight down….15 metres into total darkness. Flat throttle and then there was a thump like you wouldn’t believe.
The Air Force police filed their report. The nurses were looking after me well. See at the bottom of the bunker was indeed a burned out Subaru station wagon that had burned to the ground the year before and inside it was….dont know what name they gave her but her legs were apart and raised…..bloody crash test dummies……
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

olddog642

Bugger

Post by olddog642 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:15 am

Oh crap I should have put my coffee down before starting to read your last post Tweety.
hylton:evil::twisted:

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:32 am

Keep the stories coming!

I get a heap of sh*t from everyone. Especially the old man(dad). He keeps going on about his old MY wagon in the 80's was a real 4WD yet my Forester isn't and that I shouldn't waste money by throwing it everywhere for the Foz. Yet the foz still goes offroad reasonably well, even if I do bust up the plastics abit, but in all honesty I couldn't care :P

I end my argument with my Forester is a more economical, better in the city and 10x better onroad than any real 4WD yet gets me to where I want offroad or allows me to have fun. Sure it may not be the best and doesn't have diff locks and a metre of clearance but whats the point in having all that as it takes the fun away of making things challenging! No matter how easy or hard.

Proof of my fun from a few days ago. lol
Doesn't look like much but god it was fun. After trying for 2yrs to do donuts in a 2.0l non turbo AWD vehicle I finally succeeded. I highly doubt anyone could do better in a N/A Foz. But it just goes to show I'm having fun offroad in my 'fake offroader' :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIKHpxR0 ... sults_main

Taza

AshR

Post by AshR » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 am

LOL Tweety that's a fantastic read :)

should put a book together of your exploits :p

Return to “Rumbl1n”