Silver Anniversary Liberty

guyph_01

Silver Anniversary Liberty

Post by guyph_01 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Ok guy's, I present to you the latest project :D

Its a 98 Silver Anniversary Auto Liberty. I bought it with a blown head gasket engine. The engine barely made it from Ballajura to Thornlie, It literally started to overheat a couple of meters shy of my drive way. Once parked i heard this pressure release and thought it was the coolant but it was actually engine oil pissing form somewhere, I think the rear main seal.

The white glare is the burning oil smoke rising out quite significantly from the engine....
Anyway it was home now and at no towtruck cost.

So now i'm looking for a ej22 or maybe build a EJ25 block with ej22 heads so i don't have to change the wiring.

Also the plan is to lift it and turn it into a serious offroader..

Car was involved in a front end accident with the previous owner that was fixed by the insurance, so its got all new front end body parts, radiator and condenser:)
However the rest of the car is in quite average condition.

Notice it being ready for the outback suspension swap...

Another bright side is its got those.....

Random interior cleaning shot..

Now the car also has a problem with the rear diff. Being and auto i assume it a 4.11. Gearbox code is but i have no idea where to look to find out what ratio it is. It would be helpful to know:) Also i can get a diff off a 98 Manual D/R Outback, anyone know if they had the 4.11 ratio?
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:02 pm

So this is the Silver Anniversary you wuz talkin about !!

Have to love the 'just make it home under its own steam' method :) Done that before, to find it won't drive around the block no more once home

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:40 pm

steptoe wrote:So this is the Silver Anniversary you wuz talkin about !!

Have to love the 'just make it home under its own steam' method :) Done that before, to find it won't drive around the block no more once home
It started the next day and drove from the road to where its been stripped currently. No water left in the rad and most probably to oil..., I don't really care now as it will be out by the weekend:)
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:00 am

Nothing better than a 98 Liberty :lol:
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Bantum
General Member

Nice find ...

Post by Bantum » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:16 am

Like it ... :D
guyph_01 wrote:
... Its a 98 Silver Anniversary Auto Liberty. I bought it with a blown head gasket engine ...

Car was involved in a front end accident with the previous owner :

Now the car also has a problem with the rear diff ...
This was probably the result of said accident, and had not been properly fixed ?

I would checkout the 'repair job' by removing all panel / trims & see how much damage there is to the structure,
as it looks like it has also been rear ended as well ... ( tel tale by crease in panel near the rear door ) ...
Do all doors open & shut correctly ? + Is it the same on other side ?

Good luck with it ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:41 pm

Why do you need another offroader?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:19 pm

taza wrote:Why do you need another offroader?
Probably getting one ready for when your foz packs it in :lol:

Or for when he breaks his offroader/can't get it going properly with the turbo :???:

Or to have a go at something new. Personally I'll be sticking with my L series as long as I can.

Best of luck with it Guyph, those liberty's go well when they're stock I reckon. An extra two cylinders would be even better :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:00 am

Bantum wrote: I would checkout the 'repair job' by removing all panel / trims & see how much damage there is to the structure,
as it looks like it has also been rear ended as well ...
Not going to happen, Too lazy:) The other side is good. That side looks more like some side impact. Door closes fine.
taza wrote:Why do you need another offroader?
Because i want to and because i can..... :)
El_Freddo wrote: Best of luck with it Guyph, those liberty's go well when they're stock I reckon. An extra two cylinders would be even better :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
Hummmmmm :p

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:37 pm

El_Freddo wrote:An extra two cylinders would be even better :twisted:
Oh great.. here we go.. thanks a lot Bennie.. this is all we need :rolleyes:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Oh great.. here we go.. thanks a lot Bennie.. this is all we need :rolleyes:
Hahahahahahahaha......

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:16 am

The Parts car was delivered today, haha... It was dropped off by the truck while i was at work:)
I'm going to use the Leather interior, 2pot brakes, Shocks and springs, the rear lower arm brackets and will grab all the little bits i can replace, improve or upgrade. Everything else is for sale, pm me if you need something

Now two questions,

Should i stay with the Auto box or should i swap to manual gear from the parts car?
What do you think if i used the outback rear bumper on the liberty?

The engine is getting pulled apart and ej22 heads will be added to go on a mates L series, a member here:)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 am

If you do go to the manual gearbox (+1 billion) change the harness from the parts car to the aniversary model. that way you wont have to deal with the TCU issues from the auto box.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:47 am

i would stick with the auto. it will get the car on the road quicker and the auto is great off road!
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

JPM

Post by JPM » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:46 am

thunder039 wrote:i would stick with the auto!
NOOOOOOOOOO!

If you have all of the parts available 20 feet from the project car, the tools, the work space and the ability to swap it over to manual- and you don't do it, you sir are all kinds of crazy!!

Seriously, I think you'll regret it if you don't convert to manual.

Jayd

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 am

I think you'll regret going from an automatic to 1.19 low range, which will be borderline useless. Auto can be wired up to centre lock. Manual will be viscous centre. Another step backwards there.

Seriously what's so good about 1.19 low range that you'd go through all the effort of a manual conversion for?

Plus autos are pretty well proven to be awesome in sand.

Really only worth it in my opinion if you put in something like your L series gearbox.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Venom wrote:I think you'll regret going from an automatic to 1.19 low range, which will be borderline useless. Auto can be wired up to centre lock. Manual will be viscous centre. Another step backwards there.

Seriously what's so good about 1.19 low range that you'd go through all the effort of a manual conversion for?

Plus autos are pretty well proven to be awesome in sand.

Really only worth it in my opinion if you put in something like your L series gearbox.

Exactly what i was leaning towards too..
Hey Venom, could you check out my other Liftkit thread and post some details of your setup. thx

That Manual D/R box has NO low range..., maybe if i had a foz box but still a lot of f*cking around, pedal box, tail shaft, loom etc.... Ill get dave to wire it up for diff lock and also wire a 2wd/awd switch 'to save petrol' ;)

Post by 60766244 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:36 pm

After loving driving an Automatic Liberty a lot and having to DD a manual car all I can say is go the Auto - so much better just getting about and still just as capable as a manual suby.

Plus you'll have that extra hand when offroad for holding your beer, ice coffee, pie or radio. :p

That silver lib is a very pretty vehicle indeed. Nice one!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Im all for the Manual.....anyone can do it the easy way :D. Auto's are "Auguably" a better gearbox for 4wding. Easier to control traction and wheel speed, no drive loss when shifting (very helpful in sand), as already said a free hand for miscellaneous functions and generally a bit more comfortable in traffic where it will most likely spend 90% of its life. Only advantage a manual has is better decent control, and the badge of a hard core 4wder ;).

Regards

Doug

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Yes, Quite a few interesting points here. Although guys, keep in mind i do own a EJ25 AWD D/R box with Lseries Low range so yeah I know the feeling:) and as The car i'll never sell, MANUAL all the way!!!! lol
I think i'll just keep the lib auto and mod it as much as i can, gonna be less work:)

Now can someone help me figure out what ratio this car has? The code is TZ:02ZGCAA-CX

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:53 am

You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Guyph”