Boat Project

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Hehe, yep its getting there. After that the next step will be to do the elc and engine side:)

I've got a question, On this boat i'm building i have put the control on the left side as i think its easier to steer with the right hand. Why do all, well most boats have it on the right? Ok for boats with the steering on the right side of the hull its easier to put it on the side of the hull thus the right hand side, but why do even the center console boat have it on the right like that other explorer boat above? Does anyone know if there is a good reason???
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:28 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Hehe, yep its getting there. After that the next step will be to do the elc and engine side:)

I've got a question, On this boat i'm building i have put the control on the left side as i think its easier to steer with the right hand. Why do all, well most boats have it on the right? Ok for boats with the steering on the right side of the hull its easier to put it on the side of the hull thus the right hand side, but why do even the center console boat have it on the right like that other explorer boat above? Does anyone know if there is a good reason???
Probably something to do with most boats being left hand drive, put the throttle control closest to other passengers incase something goes wrong, or to have the right hand have something to rest on. Dunno really, probably due to the company being American or their main target group are Left Hand Drivers so the right hand get the throttle.

I don't see it being a problem swapping it over, so long as there's no sharp edges for you or your passengers to cut themselves on if they hit it for some reason you should be fine.

Another reason I've just thought about is that the accelerator pedal is the right pedal...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:53 pm

Finished off the trailer 2day. Now i need to add the rear lights and reflectors:)

Hopefully this weekend i can go to get the rear transom welded up..
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:33 am

guyph_01 wrote:Finished off the trailer 2day. Now i need to add the rear lights and reflectors:)

That's pretty schmick mate! Top effort!

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:24 am

Thx, Going to the boat builder to get the rear transom welded 2day:)

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 am

Got some more work done:) Got the seats re-trimmed, Got the transom powder coated and bolted, bolted the engine, Ran all the wires etc. Only thing i'm not sure on how to connect the elec wires:(

A few pics:)

Me adding the nuts inside the hull:p

She not 100% finished but you should get an idea, Oh and i've added a ski pole:p

Richie-Rich

Post by Richie-Rich » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:56 am

Impressive.

You got some skills bro.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:29 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Me adding the nuts inside the hull:p
Yeah.. we see the nuts you have :???: not the most flattering picture.. lol

Can't wait to try this thing out :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:45 pm

I love the fact that you see potential in things others miss all the time - and that you barter on your sales - mum's good at that too and has always encouraged us to do the same. Some times it works, some times it doesn't.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Thx for the comment Bennie, I've picked that up from my dad, and for me its just for having fun mostly, I love working with my hands, ohhh and the occasional $$ when i get board of it or get my hands on the next project:)

Yes Paul, we all know your jealous..., and not of the boat....

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:57 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Yes Paul, we all know your jealous..., and not of the boat....
Keep dreaming.. we know about you frogs :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Just a bit more done 2day, Not much has happened, mostly cosmetic, but the things i'm trying to figure out at the moment is a water seal for the holes i've made to pass the engine cables etc. It doesn't have to be water tight but just splash proof or water tight would be a bonus. Don't really want to block it up with silicone or similar as when the engine turns or tilts cables move with it and the silicone will not last long.

Any ideas?

Also painted the top and side vents to match the blue seats. hopefully it will last. Not sure if i want to paint the fuel cap yet as that gonna get a lot of hand action and end up make it look worst if i paint it. Maybe get a black cap somewhere???

The spot i choose for the speakers..

Also this is what the dash/ control looks like. just need to buy some label switch stickers for the Nav light, Air pump, Bilge pump, Acc etc.

And this is inside the hull. Planning to add a alu frame over the bilge pump so i can add a second spare tank:)

Ohhh and dont worry i'll clean up the wires once everything is hooked up and working properly.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:49 pm

TADAAAAAA,

A big thx to all the guys who helped me create and complete this project with all the advice, And to those who doubted me, well, I YOUR FACE!!!!:p haha

I really happy and proud of myself for building it and how it turned out. Well its not been water tested yet but it should be ok if the honda engine one is. Only issue is my main switch isolator ****ed up so i had to connect everything directly. I'll need to find a better one than the $15 ebay one.

Yes this thing was really miss treated and had quite a few leaks. And i need a steering adjustment:) I wish i can find a cheapish better tube some day, I'll keep and eye out, Or if you guys come across one plz let me know.
That shot looking circle and wires is were the old nav light use to be, will try and cover it up somehow.
Ohh and at the top of the ski pole i plan to add a stern Light to cover the hole but also its a good place for it:)

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:50 am

Absolutely brilliant, well done mate and it should go like a little rocket.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:05 am

guyph_01 wrote:And to those who doubted me, well, I YOUR FACE!!!!:p haha
I YOUR FACE !! that is soo scary.. I don't want you to be my face :(
guyph_01 wrote:I really happy and proud of myself for building it and how it turned out. Well its not been water tested yet but it should be ok if the honda engine one is. Only issue is my main switch isolator ****ed up so i had to connect everything directly. I'll need to find a better one than the $15 ebay one.
Well done Guyph.. Love to see it go in the water :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:06 pm

RSR 555 wrote:I YOUR FACE !! that is soo scary.. I don't want you to be my face :(
Lol you always pick up on my typing errors..., Was meant to be 'in your face', Little joke.

Anyway,
I'm happy to report its been 3days since i pumped up the tubes and they are still full of air:) I'm quite happy of my patching job there:)
So went to the river and got the boat in the water. BUT the engine was a bit powerless lol. Well it went ok i guess but doing wake behind was a really struggle on take off:( So since yesterday i've put the engine up for sale for a reasonable cheap price and its now sold. I'm now on the hunt for something with bigger balls, like me:D Again being on a tight budget, As being a student and all the bullshit i'm always broke:p, i'm not sure if i'll be able to afford something new or newish but hopefully better.

Anyway, here is a pic, unfortunately we were then too concentrated on the wake and boat etc that we didn't take more.

I promise to get some good pics with the coming engine.
But overall i'm really pleased with it. Turns super tight and easy, sit well on the water. A little rear heavy but with someone at the front (and a bag of sand, na kidding) and once it off its great. Can't wait to have a bigger engine:)

Richie-Rich

Post by Richie-Rich » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:14 pm

I would look for a 70hp - 90hp.

These get used alot on work boats at Marina's so they turn up second hand quite a bit.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Lol you always pick up on my typing errors..., Was meant to be 'in your face', Little joke.
hehe.. see my sig for more info :p
guyph_01 wrote:Can't wait to have a bigger engine:)
Look for a late model Tohatsu 2 stroke.. they have the best HP to size rating. And as you know, sometimes it's cheaper to buy a boat with one on.. shameyou sold the other motor, otherwise you could have swapped it over and sold the whole 2nd boat off.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:04 pm

RSR 555 wrote: Look for a late model Tohatsu 2 stroke.. they have the best HP to size rating. And as you know, sometimes it's cheaper to buy a boat with one on.. shameyou sold the other motor, otherwise you could have swapped it over and sold the whole 2nd boat off.
True didn't think of it that way. For some reason i only do that trick on cars:) why didn't i think of that. lol

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:23 pm

Not much has been happening with the boat. Just too busy with other cars, projects and Uni.

And with the jetski...

Return to “Guyph”