Boat Project

guyph_01

Boat Project

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:27 am

Hi guys,

Some of you may know i bought a jet ski a few weeks ago. It needed work and most of the engine was in bits and had plenty of missing bits. So i bought a sunk jet boat and use the engine off that that i got rebuilt and now the jet ski is running great.

Because the jet boat is still licensed, i though of trying to put an outboard on it and have a running boat too:). I just thought i'd share the project build with you guys.
I basically fixed the leaking tube, Need to build a rear transom, going with Aluminium, needed to find an outboard and a trailer(trailer in the pics isn't mine).

Some pics:

Then with the help of a few guys on the Seadoo forum we came up with a design for the rear transom out of 3-5mm think aluminum.

The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:31 am

Then was the time to find an engine. I started off by putting an add on gumtree, for an outboard between 25-40hp. After a week with no reply i looked in the Quokka and found two not running 40hp mercury for $300. Apparently one is for parts and the other only had a blown CDI. Was both elec and manual start and had the forward controls. the good one turned over and had good compression. So i told the guy i might think about it as since i can't see it running i'm not convinced.
Now this part is weird, half way home i get a call from a guy that saw my Internet add and has a running 40hp mercury for sale and i can go see it in the afternoon for $400.

So in the afternoon i head south to see the running mercury and its exactly as the two i saw earlier during the day. The guy started it, we let it run for about 20-30mins and it was pumping plenty of water and wasn't getting hot. Only thing this one was only a manual pull start and had no front controls. Anyway i knocked him down to $300 and brought the engine home.

I quickly jump on the phone and call the first guy with the two non running engines. Negotiated a bit and he finally agreed to let them both go for $100. So now iv'e got the forward controls, a spare electric starter system off the parts engine, and a possibility of fixing one of the not running engine plus a running engine all for $400.

So now all i need is to build the transom and find a trailer:)
Hummm, 40hp on a little 3meter inflatable:p

This is a pic of the possible good not running engine. The running one looks much better:) Does anyone know if they are any good a reliable generally and how old it is? the serial number is 8046573. thx

Net was to cut the Alu plates and to block the exhaust hole and the flush outlet by using some pvc fittings but now that im gonna add the bottom plate its in the way so i had to take it all off.

I was able to locate a few people do do the welding cheap or for a few carton of beers for me but nothing final yet.
Also would anyone know if the bottom of the hull should line up with the yellow, red or blue line?

Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:34 am

And 2day i did some more work on the boat. Got some expandable foam in the gap but now i think wood might be better as the foam is quite soft. Wood is good but might expand with water:S not sure!!

Thats the gap before the foam went in...

Also blocked the exhaust hole and flush hole. First i prep the area buy grinding the gel coat off, Then i filled the holes with a fiber reinforced putty and then applied about 4 layers of wived fiber glass on both sides. I inside was a real pain in the ass to do as i had to do some contortions to access the area.

Also cut all the Aluminum sheet in the the right pieces and now needs to be welded up. Thought of a mod to do but i'll run it past the guy how will help me with the welding as he is also a boat builder:)

Also installed the steering wheel and helm. Now looking for a cable. Then installed the control box but it got late and didn't get a new pic.
This is what the steering looks like. Its a car steering wheel that i had laying around. Got some navigation lights on too:) I also need to get the seats re-trimmed.

Thats it for now:p

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Neat project Guyph!

And as always, great bartering skills :twisted:

looks like it'll be a good little goer. As for your question about the height of the prop in relation to the hull, your boat builder/welder mate should be able to tell you, but my guess would be the red line. You'll work it out once it's moving in the water, if it pulsates on take off it's caveatting, which means that it's sucking air under the plate - that's an issue we've got with our inboard ski boat, got a few more ponies than this little jigga ;)

Hope you're not going fishing in it, at least, not with mates who can't control their hooks, you wouldn't want a hook to go through the side of the inflatable!

Trailer - knock one up mate! MY rear end, steel and a trailer hitch, some old wiring for lights and you'll be sorted ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Sweet little project, that thing must have been expensive when it was new, how do you find this stuff and what did the sunken boat cost?
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Guy is a Karun Gulli man as they were called in Singapore :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:02 pm

I learnt my lesson and not saying what a pay for stuff anymore:D You guys are killers and don't give me a chance!!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:01 pm

guyph_01 wrote:I learnt my lesson and not saying what a pay for stuff anymore:D You guys are killers and don't give me a chance!!
Guyph, my comment was not a dig, I think it's great that you're using some old school bartering! Mum keeps going on to me about using it more often!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Actually I think it has more to do with me and an impreza I wanted to buy.

TOONGA

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:06 pm

I know, i don't take it badly Bennie and wasn't specifically targeting you or any one else, Just saying i'll be more careful now:p
TOONGA wrote:Actually I think it has more to do with me and an impreza I wanted to buy.

TOONGA
LOL, sore looser!!!!!!!:p

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:12 pm

I thought you were mad when you told me what you had done and then when I saw them I knew you were totally bonkers - but now it looks like you are going to end up with a coupla cool toys. Well Done

I'm actually trying to buy a twin engined Sea Doo boat at the moment - gotta sell a heap of stuff first though - need to find $7000 or pay you to do deals and build one from lots of bits........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:14 pm

guyph_01 wrote: LOL, sore looser!!!!!!!:p
Nah... Just got a good memory :)

so when are we going fishing?

TOONGA

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:26 am

Its not really for fishing, Mainly for some water sports on the river. Fishing in WA is useless!!! fish are ridiculously small.

Installed the Control box 2day:) Also need to find a spot for the start button. I'm thinking of using both the original start button and safety cut-off switch as its quite a small boat and just in case the driver falls off. Don't think its a bad idea to include that and want to try and incorporate a key:) Also thought of installing a CD player and some speakers:p

Well lets see what ends up getting installed:)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:53 am

guyph_01 wrote:Its not really for fishing, Mainly for some water sports on the river. Fishing in WA is useless!!! fish are ridiculously small.
Pity it isn't bigger... as I know a spot on the other side of Rotto, where the fish caught are measured in kilometres and tonnes :)

TOONGA

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Not much happened 2day as me and Greg spent the day on the jet ski:D

I got a steering cable for the boat off gumtree, perfect match and length, so happy with it. Crazy that for my old boat the steering lit new coat me $350, cable, helm and wheel and this time round i got a second hand unused helm for $10, a Cable for $40 and the wheel that was sitting in the garage:)

Also, About the engines the running one is a pull start only and the parts one is pull start and elec start. I want to swap it over. I noticed that the pull start flywheel doesn't have teeth for the starter so its looking like a bigger swap than just bolting on the starter as originally thought. Anyone have a manual for those old things? Manual Guru Jules??? anything??

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:43 am

When I wanted to do some work on my old 100hp Johnson I borrowed the book from the local library, surprising what they have.

I see there is one the same for sale over east for $8,500
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00 am

guyph_01 wrote:Anyone have a manual for those old things? Manual Guru Jules??? anything??
Believe it or not it took about 5 minutes to find and nearly 3 hours to download, as there was only one seed on the torrent.

https://www.rapidshare.com/files/177326 ... Manual.pdf

hope it helps, it looks like a gregorys or a haynes and covers a rather large range of motors in the mercury range.

sorry forgot to add it is 181 meg in size :)

TOONGA

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:20 am

guyph_01 wrote:Its not really for fishing, Mainly for some water sports on the river. Fishing in WA is useless!!! fish are ridiculously small.

Installed the Control box 2day:) Also need to find a spot for the start button. I'm thinking of using both the original start button and safety cut-off switch as its quite a small boat and just in case the driver falls off. Don't think its a bad idea to include that and want to try and incorporate a key:) Also thought of installing a CD player and some speakers:p

Well lets see what ends up getting installed:)

Out of interest what motors does it have in it? And does it still use DESS? (At the moment i am a full time seadoo mechanic, due to summer) And got any more pics as i have never seen one?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:30 pm

They use the 720 engine. I bought it so i can use the engine in my 1999 XP 720. everything has been stripped now, its only the shell and the fuel tank left.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:19 pm

thx for the manual Jules but mine is a 2cyl one carby model.

Return to “Guyph”