My Touring Wagon EJ25 build, Part 2

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm not sure, Cars original k's has been lost!!! lol. but must be around 300K +
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 pm

guyph_01 wrote:I'm not sure, Cars original k's has been lost!!! lol. but must be around 300K +
Arrh perfect, Im good for at least another 100k then :D.

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:43 am

And the rest Guyph :p

Doug, your car would have a different type of pump, so wouldn't compare against Guyph's. If you look at going EFI than you'll need to change it.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 am

mpfi vortex? 1986. I dont see no carby thingy on top :D. My wagon is well past 300k.

If you need a pump to get you out of trouble until a new one arrives, you can borrow mine.

Regards

Doug

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:06 am

Its all good, I bought a new pump from veale:) and i've got a whole EFI Parts car here that im wrecking with a spare EFI pump. Anyone doing a conversion that need an EFI tank??:)
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 am

Subydoug wrote:mpfi vortex? 1986. I dont see no carby thingy on top :D. My wagon is well past 300k.
1986 Vortex? We were supposed to just know you had this??

Wouldn't happen to be green and look like the one in Guyph's signature?
guyph_01 wrote:Its all good, I bought a new pump from veale:) and i've got a whole EFI Parts car here that im wrecking with a spare EFI pump. Anyone doing a conversion that need an EFI tank??:)
So the car is running again Guyph? If it was the pump, I'd recommend you change the filter incase some crap came out of the pump.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 am

Ok no problem Guyph ;).

Well no body really asked.......:D. Yeah Green, though mostly faded away on the top.

Dont worry, dragon stickers and "rims" were gone asap :D.

Sorry Guyph, back on topic.

Doug

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Hey Doug nice two tone!

How do those LED light bars go?

Guyph, surprised that you're stripping another L series :rolleyes: there won't be many left out your way before too long :(

Paul, the VN pump in theory has to feed a 5 litre compared to the 3.3 litre or what ever they were, even with the turbo. Plus they're cheaper as they don't have "turbo" in the part name. For all we know they could be the same part with a different number for the two models of vehicle...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Bennie, to be honest, I havent used them yet. Previous owner installed it, did a decent job too. Usually if Im driving where i need hi-beam, I take the wagon to kart stuff around. Also, nothing keeps you awake quite like the headlight randomly turning off :D.

Hey Guyph, you wouldnt happen to have an "L" rear swingarm with hubs and shocks laying around would you? what about a diff mustache?

Regards

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 am

El_Freddo wrote:Paul, the VN pump in theory has to feed a 5 litre compared to the 3.3 litre or what ever they were, even with the turbo. Plus they're cheaper as they don't have "turbo" in the part name. For all we know they could be the same part with a different number for the two models of vehicle...
Very likely that they are Bennie.

Standard VN (3.8ltr V6) and the standard VL (3.3ltr Nissan 6) are different pumps to the VL Turbo and VN V8 model pumps from what I see on them but who really knows??

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:40 pm

Ok little update. Car has not started with the new pump. Paul came to have a look at my place but nothing, couldn't get it to start. So now the car is at his working and we will be working on it on Sunday. He did start to take it apart, and so far i have a bad feeling about it... :(

On the bright side, Its the perfect excuse for a Ej20t engine:p

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm

guyph_01 wrote:On the bright side, Its the perfect excuse for a Ej20t engine:p
And after this a H6? When will you sit still??

Your bad feeling - is it about wiring or mechanical? Another possible skipped tooth for a WA member? :p

All the best with it, I hope it's a simple fix - loose connection or something like that!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:52 am

Who knows Bennie.. he just doesn't want the 'twin' to go better than his but I keep telling him, they are 2 completely different setups. I personnaly like the EJ25 NA and think it would do really well with a good quality aftermarket ECU setup. With an AM ECU, it would be ready for things like a supercharger or turbo?

As for the skipped tooth, I'm not going to rule it out but it's taken me 1 hour just to try and remove the timing covers (no room between engine and radiator), so I'm draining coolant and well.. will report more tonight

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:56 am

RSR 555 wrote:it's taken me 1 hour just to try and remove the timing covers (no room between engine and radiator), so I'm draining coolant and well.. will report more tonight
Oh yay, those fun and games!

Best of luck, I hope you're charging for every busted knuckle!

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:06 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Another possible skipped tooth for a WA member?
Funny you mention this.. because it has !! it has skipped 3 teeth :o
El_Freddo wrote:All the best with it, I hope it's a simple fix - loose connection or something like that!
Again !! how do you guess it again.. yes, one of the harness plugs was full of oily substance and causing it to run on only 2 cylinders (once we finally got it to run)
El_Freddo wrote:Best of luck, I hope you're charging for every busted knuckle!
Thanks, I needed that luck :p

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Runs similar time but mines not at the same extent. IM positive mine has jumped 1 tooth..

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:43 am

Come on Guyph.. where's the update? I can say she's alive again :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subaruman5

Post by Subaruman5 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:16 am

Great write-up Guy and an incredible build thread for your L-series. Only being familiar with the 93-01 Imprezas since 2004, and just familiarizing myself with the older gen Subarus in the last year, I have a lot more respect for you guys with your fabrication skills and creativeness. Being an aircraft engineer on the S-64 Air-Crane for the last 5 years, it doesn't put any comparison to your work. Trust me. I spent last few hours today reading from page 1 your build, but seeing the damage done from the rear hatch was a little sad. Hopefully it will come together. When I am back again next season working at Jandakot, let me know if you need any parts from States since my work schedule is 3 weeks on/off. Some brake light guards would look good perhaps or any other small bits. http://www.headtraumainc.com/subaru.html

It was great meeting you and seeing the car today in person. The Australia L series corner mark indicators are going to look sweet on my usdm 92' Loyale! I just found some Side trim "Subaru 4WD" that will replace my "Loyale badging. Must take advantage of the time while hear and grab what's not over in the States right? :D

All the very best on this project and upcoming projects.

Bryan

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:42 am

Yeah she is alive again, The tensioner was leaking and it had jumped 4thooth. thank go it didn't have any bent valves. thx Paul for putting it back together:)

Hey Bryan, thx for the kind words and the offer:)

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:12 am

hello, its been a while since i've updated this. Anyway i'm working on upgrading the rear struts on the car. As per page 27-28, i went with Silvia S13 coil-over shocks that have worked really great for me so far but as all of us, its never enough. So i bough myself a set of Siliva S15 rear coil-overs that are longer than the s13 and hopefully i'll get a bit more height in the rear.

Will keep the pics coming as i work on it:)

Return to “Guyph”