My Touring Wagon EJ25 build, Part 2

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:20 pm

thx Jules:) I'm hoping dave can get it started this weekend. I hope i remember to rec a vid on the first engine turn over:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:23 pm

So 2day was to get the car ready so Dave can wire it up and we can start it:)

Testing the flex... lol nah i actually tilted the car so i could get all the old oil out. At some point there was like really think sludge that came out:S

I then filled up with fresh Nulon oil, Subaru coolant and new P/S fluid.
Then went round the car and check everything was in place for tomorrow:)
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:35 pm

[quote="guyph_01"]So 2day was to get the car ready so Dave can wire it up and we can start it:)

I bet you wont be able to sleep tonite...too excited lol.

N for my 2cents worth...i like the headlights but not the roofrack lights. Are you gonna keep them?

What wheels/tyres you gonna have?

I wish i had the money for a cool toy like this :mrgreen:

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 pm

nachaluva wrote: N for my 2cents worth...i like the headlights

See Alex, yet another fan of my lights :p LOL

Sry but I LOVE the roof lights:D:mrgreen: and yep they are staying on...

Yep i've been going over the car 5 times to make sure she is ready for tomorrow. Its going to be a big day:p

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Don't forget the video. :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:59 pm

:p

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:03 am

Cant wait to hear how you go...the 1st time turning over an engine is a mix of scary & exciting haha.

Esp when you see all that smoke coming out the exhaust, its running rough as guts & your mind is going a million miles an hour...
Did i tighten all the bolts?
Did i remember to connect that loose wire etc?
Are all the parts i got compatible?
Was i insane for even attempting this! lol

There are so many doubts till the excess oil burns off & you get basic tuning done...then its all smiles :mrgreen:

good luck, hope all goes well...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:28 am

nachaluva wrote:I wish i had the money for a cool toy like this :mrgreen:
If you plan it out carefully, do your research, then research again, be careful with your budget you'll come out with something like this... It's all about knowing what you want to build and what purpose you're building it for - plus if you're going to do it all/predominately yourself you need to be passionate and patient too.
nachaluva wrote:There are so many doubts till the excess oil burns off & you get basic tuning done...
That's the beaut of the EFI - no need to tune it as it works itself out for he first 5 minutes of run time :D

Should be a sweet goer with Dave at the helm. Say G'day to him for me Guyph!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Ok so 2day was a good day. Had a few dumb things happen as always but in all the aims were achieved and i'm now even more impatient to drive my baby:D

So Dave came round around 10am. After a quick chat he started, First attacked and spliced the alternator wires. Then moved in the car. I pointed out that for some wired reason the barrel and key wasn't working and not getting power. Told him about all the test i did with the test light, checked the fused nothing. So he started to look into it, tested the fuses, checked the cables but we still had no power coming to the barrel, the engine bay with the fuse-able links did but not the wires at the barrel:S!?!?!?!? After 5 mins of breaking his head he noticed that i had connected the barrel connector to some other misc plug, "you GOOSE" Lol..., my bad:p

Once this was 'fixed' he started to connect all the other wires one buy one. Had a little issues with the ignition relay but he figured that one too. We then checked that the fuel pump was pulsing. luckily i remembered that when i changed the old fuel hose to new ones i had to take pretty much all the fuel out. So i quickly filled the tank before i got another Goose comment:p

We then put ignition on, the pump pulsed and we could here the fuel and air bubbles move around. Also checked for fuel leaks and yep, no leaks, i had done another good job:)

Then this happened.... (if you don't believe it started that easy ask Dave...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su9NMJJKOmI

It was magical, first turn of the key, literally started in one turn. I can't tell you how happy i was and excited too...

Then like nachaluva said:
nachaluva wrote:The 1st time turning over an engine is a mix of scary & exciting haha.

Esp when you see all that smoke coming out the exhaust, its running rough as guts & your mind is going a million miles an hour...
Did i tighten all the bolts?
Did i remember to connect that loose wire etc?
Are all the parts i got compatible?
Was i insane for even attempting this! lol

There are so many doubts till the excess oil burns off & you get basic tuning done...then its all smiles :mrgreen:

Engine started to idle up and down like in the second vid but after a few mins it ran fine. However the check engine light went on:( we got code 38.... not sure what it is as no one ever found a manual for my Jap/Russian engine from the Lancaster. Would anyone have a 01 outback engine manual and check if theres a code 38???

We were also able to get the fans to kick in and out. I hope it won't turn out to have the same problem as my ej22 had and cause the fans to stay constantly on.

Dave was not able to hook up the speed sensor and the tacho due to the lack of a wiring diagram. Maybe something to do with code 38?? He thinks he will be able to figure out the tacho wire but he needs testers from work that he didn't have.

Over all its been a good day:) Any help with the 38 code would be nice if you guys have an idea.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:26 pm

WOO HOO!! Awesome to see it going :)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:34 pm

congratulations Guy, it sounds great

and here are the OBDII Trouble Code Definitions

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... efinitions

and the Subaru Specific Trouble Code Definitions

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/ ... efinitions

hope they help

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:52 pm

AWESUM!

Im sure you'll sort out the warning light & the surging.

I cant believe how easily it started!

Relief is a wonderful feeling lol :mrgreen:

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:20 pm

I was amazed too... Dave was putting the jinks on and talking about sucked injectors etc and it basically fired like it was turn off 24hrs ago.

I must say a HUGE thx to the subaru king, Dr Urabus like Toonga calls him for allowing me to buy that engine in the first place..., Thx so much Paul:)

OMG Jules, you should open a Subaru Library:)
From the second link you sent me

What the F&*K is:
38 Torque Control Signal #1
38 Torque Control Signal #2
38 Torque Control Signal System
38 Torque Permission Signal

Anyone? Can i trick it? I don't want to be removing the Ecu light or having it all the time on:(

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:32 pm

guyph_01 wrote: What the F&*K is:

Anyone? Can i trick it? I don't want to be removing the Ecu light or having it all the time on:(
Anythiong to do with VTD - Variable Torque Distribution - was it automatic ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm no elec genius but can only say that it was definitely an auto...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:04 am

guyph_01 wrote:Then this happened.... (if you don't believe it started that easy ask Dave...)

It was magical, first turn of the key, literally started in one turn. I can't tell you how happy i was and excited too...
It's a great feeling and one you should be proud of.. good job!
guyph_01 wrote:Engine started to idle up and down like in the second vid but after a few mins it ran fine. However the check engine light went on:( we got code 38.... not sure what it is as no one ever found a manual for my Jap/Russian engine from the Lancaster. Would anyone have a 01 outback engine manual and check if theres a code 38???

We were also able to get the fans to kick in and out. I hope it won't turn out to have the same problem as my ej22 had and cause the fans to stay constantly on.

Dave was not able to hook up the speed sensor and the tacho due to the lack of a wiring diagram. Maybe something to do with code 38?? He thinks he will be able to figure out the tacho wire but he needs testers from work that he didn't have.

Over all its been a good day:) Any help with the 38 code would be nice if you guys have an idea.
Code 38 is for the Torque control but because you neither have the tacho or auto trans connected (both would need to be there) then it will on all the time and because this is the later model ECU, you're in luck.. I can have that side of the system removed but down side is I can't do it from out here :(
guyph_01 wrote:I was amazed too... Dave was putting the jinks on and talking about sucked injectors etc and it basically fired like it was turn off 24hrs ago.

I must say a HUGE thx to the subaru king, Dr Urabus like Toonga calls him for allowing me to buy that engine in the first place..., Thx so much Paul:)

OMG Jules, you should open a Subaru Library:)
From the second link you sent me

What the F&*K is:

No problems at all Guyph.. happy to sell engine to anyone :p

Can't wait to see it screeming up the sand dunes :mrgreen:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:23 am

RSR 555 wrote:It's a great feeling and one you should be proud of.. good job!
Yeah it took some work an effort. I'm quite happy considering i learnt most of how to do it from this forum and all the great people that help. Big thx to everyone.
RSR 555 wrote: I can have that side of the system removed but down side is I can't do it from out here :(
Cool well good news then. Looks like i only need to try and get that tacho working with the help of Dave or you.
RSR 555 wrote:Can't wait to see it screaming up the sand dunes :mrgreen:
me too, So bad it hurts.... lol

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:39 am

Good stuff mate, can't wait to get back & do a cruise.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 pm

guyph_01 wrote: me too, So bad it hurts.... lol
hehehe :mrgreen:

Return to “Guyph”