Is a subaru right for me ?

Club chat only please.
100482max

Is a subaru right for me ?

Post by 100482max » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:17 am

Hi i am max and im 16 and looking for a first car. I want to be able to go reasonably offroad to places like stradbroke and moreton island to surf. I will be at St lucia in the city so i dont want a huge 4wd. I also have a bloody heavy ski boat which needs to be towed out to summerset.
Therefore I am looking at a 2001 H6. I want the H6 for its power of course but will an automatic Subaru with no dual range handle ok in sandy tracks after i have fitted a 2'' lift ? and will it tow a 1100kg boat ok ? If not would a an old TDI Discovery be better ? they are the only cars I am considering.
Cheers Max :)

Brumby91

Post by Brumby91 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:23 am

100482max wrote:Hi i am max and im 16 I also have a bloody heavy ski boat ... I want the H6 for its power of course but will an automatic Subaru with no dual range handle ok in sandy tracks after i have fitted a 2'' lift ? and will it tow a 1100kg boat ok ? If not would a an old TDI Discovery be better ? they are the only cars I am considering.
Cheers Max :)
Hi Max, you've asked a lot of questions , but really there is only ONE important question.........

Will your parents adopt me please!

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:45 am

The H6, with 2" lift some nice AT tires will eat up beach work like you wouldnt believe. I would bet that it would go better offroad than the discovery on sand.

That and it would be awesome on road, towing a 1100kg boat isnt at all a problem with the H6.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:48 am

After towing a boat with my 01 2.0l Manual Foz for 2500km I would say the H6 would be fine. Plus with an auto you won't burn your clutch on the sand :mrgreen:
2inch lift will make a huge difference in sand and with the power to back up the auto you won't have a problem. Just letting down your tyres is the number one thing :mrgreen:

Your reason for getting one is the reason I got mine as my first car. Although I have almost killed it.

Do you plan to tow offroad or on the sand much?

Taza

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi 100482max welcome to the forum
Subarus are great on the beach you will have no problems
A H6 will have plenty of power to tow the boat hope you get what you want and enjoy it

PS Don't even think about a Discovery tdi unless you have deep pockets;)

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:21 pm

And if the H6 isn't gutsy enough for you with the auto, you can ditch the boat anchor and go for a manual dual range setup :twisted:

Or just drop a supercharger on it and be done :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:04 pm

El_Freddo wrote:And if the H6 isn't gutsy enough for you with the auto, you can ditch the boat anchor and go for a manual dual range setup :twisted:

Or just drop a supercharger on it and be done :D

Cheers

Bennie
haha come on Bennie, we all know you dont like autos but i was hoping Pedro would be slowly changing your mind lol ;)

100482max, I think you got your answer...the H6 has easily enough torque to tow 1100kgs.

With an auto you dont need low range. In fact the auto gives you the versatility of not having to choose exactly the right gear...for these particular conditions do i choose 1st high range, 2nd low range, etc. The auto does it all! :mrgreen:

As Davidov said, add some nice AT tyres (my choice Yokohama Geolander AT-S)& a 2" lift & you will have a very capable Subie, certainly capable of getting to your favourite beach :cool:

Just remember to drop your tyre pressures, it really does make a huge difference
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:09 am

you have a simple question and im going to give you a straight answer.
Yes a subaru will be great compaired to a discovery, subaru engines are build to handle everything you give it, as for the discovery, i got a mate whos gone through 3 engines, need more to say about that lol...
good luck with choosing the right car for yourself, hope it works out :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:42 am

I know this pretty much doesn't have the drive train you're after, but it's fully kitted out and if you contact Al at amauto.com you could find out how much a H6 conversion will cost you ;) And get an L series or scorpion low range installed at the same time. It'll be off it's tits once it's completed :twisted:

2.5 litre outback

Or replace the head gasket and away you go... Depending on the reserve it's a good buy, all the work's been done and it's got the expensive subaextreme front and rear bars!

Food for thought, but I realise that you may not want a fix-her-up job...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Dont know anything about Subaru's yet but I already admire them for what they can do.

But a Discovery???? oh dear. Now that's something I know a bit about. How? I've never driven one! But I've heard over many years....40 actually that British cars - most of them- are crap.

Sorry it is an opinion based on my recommendation in 1971 for my father to trade in his HT Holden for a ----wait for it----a Morris Marina. Bloddy beaut seats and the reat- crap. Broke down more times than Billt Thorpe sand "Crazy".

But I persisted and in 1977 purchased a Morris Nomad. Bad move again. My brother had a mini. The only thign good was the plum colour.

But the Disco? Well Tom Elliot a radio personality (son of John) told how he owned 3 before he gave up and saw the light- cut his losses. Its just what I did with two Lotus powered cars.

Take these guys advice Max. Dont be stubborn or your stubborness will make you broke. And a tip- wear sunscreen click on this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQlJ3vOp6nI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Return to “Club chat”