EJ20G HELP

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Wilco91RS

EJ20G HELP

Post by Wilco91RS » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Hey guys hope all is well.

I'm just chasing some more details.

I bought my liberty rs turbo gosh 5 years ago but it's been off the road a few years now mostly due to financial constraints.

When I got the car I was told it had a front cut 95 WRX engine put into it and my mechanic friend confirmed it has that td05h with 90 bend and I think frog mouth TBE but I was curious how would I know exactly what WRX engine it is or if it was possibly an STI engine?

It looked stock with a black box on the top tmic.
But it went pretty hard for a stock ej20G setup.

I've checked my registration papers for the engine number but it doesn't say much "EJ20088023??"

VIN JF2BC5CR0Bxxxx

I do remember the previous owner talking about using a front cut and that it may have come with STI red/pinks shocks?

I just miss the car and can't wait to get it back on the road soon

TOONGA
Elder Member

Re: EJ20G HELP

Post by TOONGA » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:30 am

PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Re: EJ20G HELP

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:50 pm

TOONGA wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:30 am
read this https://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index. ... ification/

TOONGA
Too new Toonga, that’s a really good thread about the phase 2 block and designations vs specs.

What Wilco has is an EJ20G - the first EJ turbo and the phase 1 engine.

The original EJ20G in the RS was closed deck, same for some of the early WRXs. The way to tell externally is to look for crosshatching (raised less than a mm) on the bell housing in front of where the starter motor mounts and under the alternator. There might be more on the old passages across the top of the block but you need to know where you’re looking for those.

If it’s open deck you won’t have this crosshatching. But that’s no worries as these open blocks can still push out plenty of power.

Either way, you’ll have a 2L phase 1 turbo engine with WRX heads that have the cams directly over the top of the valves and “buckets” between the valves and the cam lobes. They’re called buckets as that’s what they sort of look like when you remove them. There are four types. Hydraulic lash adjuster buckets, shim under bucket, solid and shim over bucket (typically phase 2 from what I understand).

You will either have hydraulic or shim under buckets. If the engine or heads are STi the buckets will probably be solid - which are good for high revs but would be a pain in the arse to shave to get the right clearances!

That’s a lot of technical info to digest there. I’d start with just getting the RS going then work out what you’ve got to work with from there as you iron out other bugs along the way. Once bugs are done and you know what you’ve got you will most likely have a clear game plan on how to achieve your planned power goal.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”