Gen 1 V Gen 2 engine

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
MTB92

Gen 1 V Gen 2 engine

Post by MTB92 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Hey all,
The EJ22 in my L series is getting pretty tired and sorry for itself. I suspect it has a blown head gasket as well and all though I think it will survive this winter I suspect next summer would be the end of it, so I am looking to replace it with something a bit fresher. which leads me to my question:

Will the Gen 1 liberty computer plug straight up to and run a Gen 2 engine? And if not, would it be as simple as swapping the inlet manifold and all the attached sensors?

I think I have a better chance of finding some thing more looked after and lower k's from the 2nd Gen batch.

Cheers

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi Robbie, long time no hear.. hope all is well?

The Gen2 EJ22 is slightly higher compression and different sensors and wiring, so if you get one, just swap over all your Gen1 stuff (including manifold) and you'll be fine.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:08 am

yes, all is well, though unfortunately haven't been getting on to the tracks much recently.

That's what I suspected, thanks. I will keep my eyes peeled for something with a bit more life in it :)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat May 24, 2014 2:52 pm

Are Gen 2 just as reliable as Gen 1?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:40 pm

MTB92 wrote:yes, all is well, though unfortunately haven't been getting on to the tracks much recently.

That's what I suspected, thanks. I will keep my eyes peeled for something with a bit more life in it :)
Well hopefully we can get out a bit more next summer and you can join us?

Are you still riding bikes?
NachaLuva wrote:Are Gen 2 just as reliable as Gen 1?
Same same.. just more likely to find a Gen2 with less kms than a Gen1

Robbie, you can always look at putting new rings, bearings and seals in an old one. As long as the old one is not eaten away by corrosion :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu May 29, 2014 4:51 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Well hopefully we can get out a bit more next summer and you can join us?

Are you still riding bikes?
Sounds good :) and I am still mountain biking, though a bit less competitively than I used to.
RSR 555 wrote:Same same.. just more likely to find a Gen2 with less kms than a Gen1

Robbie, you can always look at putting new rings, bearings and seals in an old one. As long as the old one is not eaten away by corrosion :(
that's what I figured, not that it would necessarily be better, just a bit younger.
And to be honest, I just want something to drop in in a weekend. I cant be bothered going through the process of fixing this one up, I really don't have time to at the moment. What I have is still getting me around at the moment, so I will just wait until something decent comes up.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:00 am

If yours is still running, then I'd buy a cheap EJ22 engine that needs re-rings and rebuild it while you have time :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”