Brumby EJT project help Unknown parts?

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Insane

Brumby EJT project help Unknown parts?

Post by Insane » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi, Just picked up an 89 brumby and it has been started as a turbo project. With it is...

EA 82 motor fuel inj but not the one from the car.
Disc brake rear already mostly done
original gearbox still in car
Unknown gearbox (please help)
EJ18 appears to be almost new
EJ22 some parts off start to dissasamble?
Aftermarket turbo exaust manifold
2 turbos, one fits exaust manifold, one toyota branded
a ute load of other parts, wiring, trims, bumper, suspension

Any idea of the gearbox? what his planed setup was?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:34 pm

Looks like an EA82 5 speed dual range gearbox. No idea what the plans were
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Insane

Post by Insane » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:33 pm

After an entire day of crawling through forums and researching I think i have it.

The gearbox is definately for an ej. Turning shafts and counting revoloutions suggests the front diff in the box is approx 1:3.7. makes sense seeing as the diff in the car is exactly that. box also seems to have high low range but no 2wd option. maybe TY type? Early rex or maybe forrester?

with the motors i think he might have been planning to lower the compression of the EJ18 by putting on EJ22 heads and possibly manifold depending on sensor types. Adding the turbo to that mix would make for a very feisty brumby...

Please, if anyone has more info/ better ideas please let me know. This is going to be one fun puzzle. :-)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Insane wrote:The gearbox is definately for an ej. Turning shafts and counting revoloutions suggests the front diff in the box is approx 1:3.7. makes sense seeing as the diff in the car is exactly that. box also seems to have high low range but no 2wd option. maybe TY type? Early rex or maybe forrester?
The box is definitely NOT an EJ box. Only the EA boxes have the High/Low rod that runs along the top of the box. This is the 5 Speed box as it has the short rear housing. To check whether or not it is the EFI/Turbo box, you'll need to count the splines on the front drive shaft stubs.

Here's a way to prove it's not EJ. Just try and dummy fit it to one of those engines
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:26 pm

Did you get a computer and cut down harness with either of those EJ engines as they won't work with an EA82 computer.

Can you read the transmission number on the white sticker right near the starter motor hole? not the one on top thats just numbers. the one that should start ty75 if it is an EJ dual range box.

It really does look like an EA dual range 5 spped though as the EJ 5 speeds have a cable shift at the front.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Insane

Post by Insane » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Ok, so it doesn't quite fit. You are right. Wonder what he was planning then? Adaptor plate? Are the ea boxes any good? How many splines for turbo model? Thank you already!

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:33 pm

25 from memory but I could be wrong.

and yes an adaptor plate would slove the problem.

If an inner CV from a carby L series fits on the box then it is more than likely not the turbo box.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:08 am

Yeah.. like TOONGA said, an adaptor plate would work.

EA boxes are great but depends what you're planning to do with them. If you're wanting to make an EJ turbo charged Brumby, then this box would be crap, as these are Front Wheel Drive (FWD) until you select 4WD. You are unable to drive these gearboxes in 4WD on the bitumen. This box would be perfect behind the EJ22 engine without a turbo.

The EFI EA82 (which includes the turbo model) have 25 splines and the Carby EA82 has 23 splines. Both boxes are FWD select 4WD. There is an AWD EA82 box but these are hard to come by.

What are your plans and what do you want to achieve?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Insane

Post by Insane » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:51 pm

After the last posts i tried to shift the awd again. Previously I hadn't found a 2wd selection (making me think it was later model box) sure enough there it was... So now I think he had two ideas in mind... first to run it as an EA with a 5 speed while he saved up enough to put together the EJ turbo setup. I will skip the first part. Sell the injected EA, 4 speed and 5 speed boxes. should nearly give me enough to buy me a liberty EJ type box with a front diff ratio of 3.7. I have rebuilt / modified plenty of cars but never a subaru. This will be a fun learning curve. Thank you guys for your help again. :-)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Happy to help and easier to ask questions first than try and stuff it up.

What are you plans for the vehicle? Daily driver, offroader or mix of both?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Insane

Post by Insane » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Thinking maybe daily. 16" rims in black, standard ride height. Maybe leave it looking a little banged around. I like a good disguise. :-) I'll be able to use it for work and give my mates in their ridiclously over priced cars a shake up...

Some pics of other stuff that came with it

Theres also a full box of wiring and computers. I'll proably go aftermarket though.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Wow.. looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you.

Sleepers rock but what engine setup you going for?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:25 pm

I'd love a sleeper brumby with an EJ20 turbo AWD drivetrain... someday :rolleyes:

Do your research with what engine works with what. Personally I'd stick with factory setups where possible - or if you're not looking at stupid power upgrades down the track.

Looking forward to seeing where this ends up ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Insane

Post by Insane » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm thinking of using what i have here. An EJ18 with EJ22 heads to lower compression for a turbo. Although 1:9.5/9.7 isnt all that high so I will have to think about that. Anyone know the compression ratio after adding ej22 heads?

So far my only unfamiliar area is adding a turbo to a non turbo engine... Will have to research how and where to plumb in oil and water.

I do have a bit of work ahead and proabbly 3k in parts, even with what I already have...

Cant wait to start! really need that gearbox first though, so i can compression test the engines. I have to be sure before i start messing with them. :-)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Though of supercharging it?

Search for the build threat that features Hatchie - by Subarino - some great tips in there!

Cheers

Bennie

Insane

Post by Insane » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:22 am

Will stick with the turbo I think. All the stuff is here so i might as well... Was pacing around my mountins of parts with my morning caffene and kept looking at the strange gasket connection fitting on the back of the EA motor... It was also bothering me what it was doing on an engine stand when the EJs were on the floor... Hunting through the back of the brumby parts pile I found the turbo exaust manifold for it... So, now I have to rethink the plans again. With the parts I have I could put the turbo EA in for as little as a few hundered dollars... Will look up the specs on them and see what they say...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:12 am

go the EA82T !

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Insane wrote:With the parts I have I could put the turbo EA in for as little as a few hundered dollars... Will look up the specs on them and see what they say...
steptoe wrote:go the EA82T !
If you're going to build a turbo brumby go with an EJ20 turbo and do it right the first time ;)

By the time you've rebuilt the EA you might as well have brought a good half cut that's got everything you need... or super charge it :twisted:

Seriously, don't put an EA82 in a brumby, even if it is a turbo. Steptoe is excused for this as he's a little too passionate about doing things differently :P

But really, at the end of the day you've got to do what makes you happy, if going with an EA82T is it then do that...

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:10 pm

The EA82T or otherwise deserves a bit a respect, new lifters, head job, belts and tensioners and then an easy fit - even use L radiator in MY so you can retain EA82 rad hoses, exhaust. Fit new rocker cover gaskets coz they won't come off when oinstalled !!

Must swap out my turbo cams one dayget the power band a bit below 4000rpm :D

Insane

Post by Insane » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:23 am

At this stage I'm thinking I might compression test the EA82T then if it all checks out put it in with the 5 speed. I'll do a light over haul doing things like tappet covers, maybe lifters? All rubber hoses etc... Get a second hand turbo off something as Mine appears tired. Then I have a complete conversion kit for someone else when I have finished building (might rebuild them) my ej18/22 and liberty box combo.:-)

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”