Brumby EJT project help Unknown parts?

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Insane

Post by Insane » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:22 am

Will stick with the turbo I think. All the stuff is here so i might as well... Was pacing around my mountins of parts with my morning caffene and kept looking at the strange gasket connection fitting on the back of the EA motor... It was also bothering me what it was doing on an engine stand when the EJs were on the floor... Hunting through the back of the brumby parts pile I found the turbo exaust manifold for it... So, now I have to rethink the plans again. With the parts I have I could put the turbo EA in for as little as a few hundered dollars... Will look up the specs on them and see what they say...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:12 am

go the EA82T !

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Insane wrote:With the parts I have I could put the turbo EA in for as little as a few hundered dollars... Will look up the specs on them and see what they say...
steptoe wrote:go the EA82T !
If you're going to build a turbo brumby go with an EJ20 turbo and do it right the first time ;)

By the time you've rebuilt the EA you might as well have brought a good half cut that's got everything you need... or super charge it :twisted:

Seriously, don't put an EA82 in a brumby, even if it is a turbo. Steptoe is excused for this as he's a little too passionate about doing things differently :P

But really, at the end of the day you've got to do what makes you happy, if going with an EA82T is it then do that...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:10 pm

The EA82T or otherwise deserves a bit a respect, new lifters, head job, belts and tensioners and then an easy fit - even use L radiator in MY so you can retain EA82 rad hoses, exhaust. Fit new rocker cover gaskets coz they won't come off when oinstalled !!

Must swap out my turbo cams one dayget the power band a bit below 4000rpm :D

Insane

Post by Insane » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:23 am

At this stage I'm thinking I might compression test the EA82T then if it all checks out put it in with the 5 speed. I'll do a light over haul doing things like tappet covers, maybe lifters? All rubber hoses etc... Get a second hand turbo off something as Mine appears tired. Then I have a complete conversion kit for someone else when I have finished building (might rebuild them) my ej18/22 and liberty box combo.:-)

Insane

Post by Insane » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 pm

OK, Got excited and made another rookie mistake... When starting work on an unfamiliar motor always check it turns over by hand. Even had it off the stand and the new flywheel and box on...

The quote, "You're a god damned genius Gump!" comes to mind.

It was frozen but with a little oompf it now turns abot 180 degrees. Thinking it has either a frozen valve (its humid in bundy and has been sitting possibly 2 years) or the guy who owned it, an apprentice at bundy subaru, made a mistake putting on a new timing belt... Tomorrows adventure now though. Beer and a zombie movie are in order...

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:43 pm

From what you are describing it is possible that the motor has siezed at some point and will probably need to be rebuilt.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Insane

Post by Insane » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:19 pm

turns out the spark plugs were only in 2 turns... So over the last 3 years of sitting in bundy (two floods) the humidity has got to the inside wear faces of the engine and given them a nice coating of oxide dust/rust The bores look ok after turning it over and the vlave seats i can see through the plug holes look ok too. (except for the orange colour) Am about to order a full gasket kit and when i pull it down, rings and give it a freshen up... Cam faces etc all look like new.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Yeah.. if that water has got inside and it's been sitting for a while, I'd recommend a rebuild. Sounds like it's going to be a big project car. We want pics along the journey :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Insane

Post by Insane » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 am

So I lost a little time on the brumby fixing a mates off road buggy... Back to it now. :) I have since had delivered a full gasket kit for the EA and a manual that supposedly covers all 1.6 - 1.8 motors from 79 to 94.. Unfortunately no mention of the turbo version. :(

My question is, Are there any tolerance differences between turbo / non turbo? piston sizes the same? ring size and type?

Insane

Post by Insane » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:11 pm

Have now stripped the EA82T down to a short block. everything is full of sludge and surface rust. Thankfully no damage to the bores just the faintest score marks from forcing it to turn over. Having stripped a few motors before I am thinking this one has very low kms. original bore size, no lip whatsoever, cam faces are all like new... Only Issue is that whoever first owned it didn't believe in coolant and all the water jackets are full of dust and crud. Bit worried about re-tensioning some of the head bolts in the water jackets back up. Should be ok though. Anyone know the part no for rings on an EA82T? I want to disassemble, clean and reassemble as I go...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm wondering if we could get a Mod to change the title to "Brumby EA82T..." as I get excited with the "Brumby EJT..." title.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading where you're going with this build, just that when the title pops up in my email updates I'm basically keen as mustard to read another EJt Brumby build ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Insane

Post by Insane » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:41 am

Yeah, I was thinking that when I went to post... If this motor turns out to be cactus during the rebuild or once in, too slow, I'll still go the ej option but maybe another project section is better for now.

Insane

Post by Insane » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:45 pm

Hey guys. done nothing on this car for months. got to clean the garage though. anyone interested in the EJ18 / EJ22 SOHC turbo setup?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:04 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I'm wondering if we could get a Mod to change the title to "Brumby EA82T..." as I get excited with the "Brumby EJT..." title.
Might explain why I don't recall seeing this thread - it started on EJ :p

Insane

Post by Insane » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:42 pm

whole project is for sale. Everything including car and new parts. Will post for sale add in appropriate section in a moment. Would rather sell complete project but will consider selling parts if there's no interest. open to offers but was thinking maybe $2000 for the lot?

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”