carbed ej18 into my carbed l series

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu May 22, 2014 5:05 pm

The factory ones should be unequal length on stuff pre 00.
They're the same layout as the L series. One straight & one curving around the back.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu May 22, 2014 7:48 pm

yobhgareb wrote: On a side note, I met an guy in the local scrap yard last week who has few old fwd l series and early legacies in his posession from the 80's and 90's laid up.He says he thinks one of the legos is 1.6 carby. His place is only 20 mins from me, so im gonna give him a call to have a look around.
Very interesting please let me know if he has it still :)
wagonist wrote:The factory ones should be unequal length on stuff pre 00.
They're the same layout as the L series. One straight & one curving around the back.
Not all are uneven length, I got a set off an impreza EJ18 for my EJ22 conversion in my vortex and they are equal length. I don't like them at all :( Eventually They will need to be relpaced with an uneven set.

I hope to see a video soon :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Fri May 23, 2014 9:32 pm

I missed the uneven headers on the bay of dreams :mad:
Im going to see this guy with the old legos tomorrow, so hopefully i'll grab headers of some sort there.
Im having problems keeping the car running. When i turn the key in the ignition, the fuel pump engages and sends some fuel up the line, and when i start the engine it runs great for 10 seconds and stops due to what seems like not getting petrol. I have good spark, and the carb got a good clean yesterday, bowl cleaned and all lines blew out carefully. Im thinking that the ej18 carb engine may need a more capable fuel pump than the little one under the L series.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:23 am

This sounds like the prime start circuit is working but the fuel run circuit is not.

In the later models, Subaru had to fit fuel relays that would shut off if the engine wasn't turning. This was to avoid fuel spills if the car was involved in an accident.

This relay was connected via the dizzy/coil, so I'd check that you have the fuel pump run circuit connected up. I'm not sure of the wiring colours off the top of my head but if you grab a copy of the WorkShop Manual for you model, then I'd check the wiring diagram.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 24, 2014 10:36 am

TOONGA wrote:Not all are uneven length, I got a set off an impreza EJ18 for my EJ22 conversion in my vortex and they are equal length. I don't like them at all :( Eventually They will need to be relpaced with an uneven set.
It's pretty easy to tell if they're un even or not - just need to look at them and work out if they're the same on both sides or not...

From what I remember KPM Guyph tried out a set of replica borla un-equal length extractors but I'm pretty sure he lost some clearance with the bend in his bash plate having to come forward to clear the extractors that sat in front of the sump...
wagonist wrote:The factory ones should be unequal length on stuff pre 00.
My thoughts too. Easy to tell though!
RSR 555 wrote:This sounds like the prime start circuit is working but the fuel run circuit is not.
Agreed. It could be one reference wire between the fuel run circuit and the dizzy that needs connecting to sort out this issue.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”