Forester Motor & Gearbox into Brumby

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Singularo

Forester Motor & Gearbox into Brumby

Post by Singularo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi All,

I've managed to find an old forester manual EJ20 donor car to transfer the running gear into one of my Brumbies.

So it sounds like I should be fairly straight forward (cough), apart from the "custom inner CV joints" mentioned in the sticky thread

Can somebody clarify what that means/how they are made?

I'm sure there will be heaps more questions, but lets start there.

Simon
Fixing the internet with Dirtbikes and Brumbies.
http://www.singularo.com/

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:12 pm

welcome singularo, you will need the forester or liberty cup the brumby CV shaft and race (bearings, star and ring) these will form the "custom inner CV joints" you cannot use the tripod joint as I understand.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Singularo

Post by Singularo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Hehehe. Thanks. I've actually been lurking for a few years on and off, but have finally bitten the bullet as the engine and gearbox in the Brumby seem to be on the way out.

So it sounds like by disassembling the forester, I should be able to do most of it without too many more parts required.

I'm planning to put the dual range box from the forester in, and that means the rear diff as well, from what I read in the sticky thread.

Will the tailshaft just fit for the forester dual range box and rear diff in the Brumby, or does it need to be lengthened/shortened?

The Sticky mentions an EJ AWD needs to be lengthened/shortened, but I assume that's not the same as the old Dual range boxes in the foresters?

Thanks
Fixing the internet with Dirtbikes and Brumbies.
http://www.singularo.com/

henpecked

forester into MY wagon

Post by henpecked » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:11 am

Hi , I'm in SA and I'm considering a similar swap, albeit a ej20 and 4 speed auto into a my wagon , how did/is your swap go/going ?

thanks

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Hi and Welcome Singularu :)
Singularo wrote:Will the tailshaft just fit for the forester dual range box and rear diff in the Brumby, or does it need to be lengthened/shortened?
You'll need to either lengthen your single piece (not recommend) or fit a 2 piece in there. I personally would get the 2 piece cut down (and rebalanced) to match your Brumby. You will need to fit a centre bearing mount but these are fairly easy to do.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”